truelove2014

What to do with Canadian debt after entry into the USA through K1 Visa?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there!

I am the beneficiary from Vancouver Canada, and I am wondering what others on here are planning to do, or have done with their outstanding credit card debt from Canada after they enter the USA on a k1 visa? I can't pay it all off right now, and once I get the K 1 visa I won't be carrying a balance in my regular accounts to do online banking.

I have asked at my bank, but they did not give me clear answers and they said no one has ever inquired about what I was asking them.

Thanks!

T

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi true love, I'm a former debt collector. The best thing that you could do is try to get a settlement. Legally, unless they have a Canadian address to send notices to they cannot persue you. Many try as many consumers are not aware of their rights.

Payments can be made normally via western union and money gram etc.

Edited by Transborderwife

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Is it still in first party collections? (Ie: it is with the original company) if so, they won't likely settle with you. You can choose to wait until it's been charged off (seeing as your credit no longer carries much weight in the USA) usually after 120 days delinquency or try and set up a monthly payment arrangement with them while it's still in first party. The card would have to be cancelled/closed in order to normally do this.

Timeline

It is not in collections. While I am still here in Canada, I have been keeping up with paying at least the minimum payments and sometimes a bit more. My fiancé is willing to take on my debt/make the payments after I enter on the K1 visa, but if that is what it comes down to we are just not sure the most logical way to make the payments (without banks charging us huge fees to do international wire transfers and currency conversion fees).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a bank account with TD Canada Trust... and a hefty student loan I'm still paying off (And will be for years...)

My plan is to open up an American TD account as they have cross-border banking ... you can transfer money from the american account to the canadian account for no fees (conversion rates apply, obviously). I have monthly payments so every month I will transfer money to my Canadian account to ensure it's paid off!!

I have a lot of money saved up because I didn't want my fiance to be stuck paying my monthly payments, so when I first move I will actually be keeping most of my money in my Canadian account - only bringing money over when I need it ... because the American dollar really sucks right now, and I don't want to lose so much money converting it at once. But this way I can use it for my monthly payments!

Once I start working in the states, I will set up the direct deposit to my american TD account and transfer money over to the Canadian account when the monthly payments are due.

TD Bank is great because you can do EVERYTHING online. Eventually I'd like to be with the same back as my fiance but until my loans are paid off, I think this is the best option for me.

I'll be going into TD soon to set it all up and go back to the most basic canadian account available... as I will no longer need things like unlimited withdraws, overdraft protection, etc... It'll cost me $5 or so every month to keep the Canadian account open... totally worth it.

But that's just what I plan to do, I'm in the same boat as you though, I don't know what's best :/

Edited by Soapies

I-129F Process:

05/03/2014 I-129F Sent
05/09/2014 NOA1

05/12/2014 Alien Registration Number Changed

09/17/2014 NOA2 (OMG!!!!) 

09/23/2014 Case forwarded to NVC
10/01/2014 NVC Received

10/06/2014 NVC forwarded case to Montreal Consulate 

10/07/2014 Montreal Consulate Received

10/08/2014 Sent Packet 3

10/09/2014 Received Packet 4

10/22/2014 Medical Appointment

11/12/2014 Interview  APPROVED 

11/24/2014 Visa in Hand!!!!

12/28/2014 POE - Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls
01/12/2015 Applied for SSN

01/31/2015 The day I married my best friend 

AOS Process:

03/14/2015 Sent AOS Package

03/23/2015 Email confirmation, case accepted & routed to USCIS
04/15/2015 Biometrics taken
06/03/2015 75 days since receipt date on my EAD application, called USCIS for a service request  

06/09/2015 NOA2 for AP & EAD ^.^ (arrived in the mail on June 15th!!! finally!!!!)
06/17/2015 AP/EAD Combo card in hand!
06/22/2015 Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case
09/27/2015 AOS  APPROVED
10/03/2015 Received Green Card in the mail!!!

ROC Process:
06/26/2017 Sent ROC Package

06/30/2017 NOA / 1 year extension 
08/04/2017 Biometrics taken

04/09/2018 Case was received at my local office

Timeline

I am with TD bank as well! I am wondering if by opening up a US account, if you meant that where you are moving to has a US TD bank branch location? I know where I will be living (Oregon) there are no TD branches (I heard they are mostly on the east coast of the usa). Or did you mean that you are just doing everything through online banking through a US account to your regular Canadian account?

I have Canadian and US accounts through RBC. No physical branches here in the US, but when I need cash, I just get it at the grocery store checkout. Otherwise everything is paid online or with debit card/cheque.

Edited by ricnally

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I first moved I too still had credit card debt (at TD coincidentally). I continued to make payments monthly until I paid it off a year or so later. I kept my existing TD bank accounht open so I made deposits to it and then could easily pay my CC. I left a bit of a balance in the bank account when I moved and then I had my parents deposit money later on which I sent them. Once I had my EAD when I was eligible for EI, I had EI direct desposit into the same TD bank account.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Or did you mean that you are just doing everything through online banking through a US account to your regular Canadian account?

Well I was hoping to open a US account in the states, there is a TD branch kind of close to where I am (but not really). So i was going to rely mostly on online banking. But as someone else mentioned here, through an American account you can't access your Canadian account?

All I know is what I've read here http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/cross-border-banking/benefits.jsp?tabcontent1=content1as I haven't made it to a branch yet. :/

--- > Choose from two no-fee transfer options for transferring money from your Canadian based accounts at TD Canada Trust to your U.S. based accounts at our U.S. bank, TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank:

Online Transfers (up to $2,500)2

Phone Wires (up to $100,000)3

Edited by Soapies

I-129F Process:

05/03/2014 I-129F Sent
05/09/2014 NOA1

05/12/2014 Alien Registration Number Changed

09/17/2014 NOA2 (OMG!!!!) 

09/23/2014 Case forwarded to NVC
10/01/2014 NVC Received

10/06/2014 NVC forwarded case to Montreal Consulate 

10/07/2014 Montreal Consulate Received

10/08/2014 Sent Packet 3

10/09/2014 Received Packet 4

10/22/2014 Medical Appointment

11/12/2014 Interview  APPROVED 

11/24/2014 Visa in Hand!!!!

12/28/2014 POE - Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls
01/12/2015 Applied for SSN

01/31/2015 The day I married my best friend 

AOS Process:

03/14/2015 Sent AOS Package

03/23/2015 Email confirmation, case accepted & routed to USCIS
04/15/2015 Biometrics taken
06/03/2015 75 days since receipt date on my EAD application, called USCIS for a service request  

06/09/2015 NOA2 for AP & EAD ^.^ (arrived in the mail on June 15th!!! finally!!!!)
06/17/2015 AP/EAD Combo card in hand!
06/22/2015 Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case
09/27/2015 AOS  APPROVED
10/03/2015 Received Green Card in the mail!!!

ROC Process:
06/26/2017 Sent ROC Package

06/30/2017 NOA / 1 year extension 
08/04/2017 Biometrics taken

04/09/2018 Case was received at my local office

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been through this entire rigamarole myself! It's been a pain, but I think I've figured out a system that should help.

I have a chequing account with TD Canada, and a US TD Bank account. I had to open the latter over the phone as I'm in Colorado; the former I opened online (I had a student line of credit with them already). When money is transferred between TD Canada and TD USA, you must call the cross border banking line - you can't initiate the transfer online. It costs me approximately $10 a month to keep both accounts open, but this has been the least headache inducing method. I don't use these two accounts for anything other than a money shuffle, as neither bank is my bank of choice. If you keep a minimum balance in both of them, I believe you can avoid the monthly fee entirely, but I've not been able to transfer enough to see.

My main bank here in the US is Wells Fargo, for which I got cheques. I can do a mobile deposit from my Wells Fargo to TD Bank, which avoids the $3 online transfer fee WF charges. The next time I visit Canada, I'm going to bring a stack of cheques with me, sign them, and then leave them with my mom so that I can have her deposit cheques directly into my CIBC account if need be.

I transfer money using Interac e-transfer between my banks in Canada, which I believe costs $1.50 from both banks. Of course, if you just use TD Canada, you wouldn't have to worry about it. :)

As for the actual maintenance/monitoring the balances of the accounts, I have online banking set up for both TD Canada and TD USA. But, again, do note that you can only do the crossborder transfers by calling the number.

Edited by kashewmoo

r5wgm6.png

07/30/05 - Met online via LiveJournal, and instantly become best friends, 03/23/06 - Met in person in Seattle, WA for the first time, 11/03/07 - Officially become a couple

09/03/09 - Move to Boulder, CO to attend school, 05/06/11 - Become engaaaaged, 05/21/11 - Unhappily return to Canada after expiration of F-1
06/26/13 - Finally DOMA Section 3 falls ♡, 07/05/13 - Married in Victoria, BC
07/24/13 - I-130 package sent to wife for final signatures
07/28/13 - I-130 mailed!
08/05/13 - NOA1, routed to NBC

01/21/14 - Petition transferred to CSC

02/05/14 - I-130 approved (187 days from NOA1)

02/18/14 - NVC received case file

03/21/14 - Case # assigned

03/25/14 - Received case/invoice number, gave emails, sent OPTIN email for EP

03/26/14 - AOS bill invoiced, and paid

03/28/14 - AOS bill shown as paid, IV bill invoiced, and paid

03/29/14 - Emailed AOS package

03/31/14 - IV bill shown as paid

04/01/14 - DS260 available and submitted, emailed IV package

04/07/14 - Resent OPTIN email by NVC operator advisory, but still no autoreply

04/15/14 - Received email confirmation of EP enrollment, resent IV/AOS packages via email just to be certain

04/22/14 - DS-260 reviewed, false checklist for AOS/IV documents going to be sent out

04/23/14 - Checklist received via email, discarded

04/25/14 - Call to NVC dictates IV package under review, advised to resend AOS package, emails it once more (recieved autoreply), literally moments after hitting send an email is received responding to the original 3/29th email that the AOS package is under review

04/28/14 - AOS approved, false checklist asking for IV package

05/01/14 - IV under review email received, CASE COMPLETE! :]

05/07/14 - Received email confirming case complete

05/16/14 - Received P4 letter with interview date

06/16/14 - Medical exam in Surrey, BC

06/23/14 - Interview date! Approved! CEAC status changes to "Issued!"

06/26/14 - Visa received

07/08/14 - POE at Peace Arch Crossing in Blaine, WA, and a 25 hour road trip home to Colorado!

06/13/16 - Mailed the I-175 to CA!

06/16/16 - Received notification that the package was delivered successfully

06/21/16 - NOA1 (on wifey's birthday~)

06/25/16 - NOA for biometrics appointment

07/14/16 - Biometrics date

Process from start to finish (before ROC):

10 months, 3 weeks, 5 days!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.