Jerseypaisa

I-129F Petition Approval - Valid for How Long?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

We are currently in the process for a K-1 visa. The I-129F petition was approved and sent to the US embassy in Bogota, and my fiancee received the email confirmation from that embassy with the packet of materials and instructions. I read that the I-129F petition is valid for four months from the date of approval by USCIS, but my fiancee saw a note in the instructions that it is valid for one year (meaning the interview must be scheduled within that time period). Can anyone clarify the correct length of time? Does it differ by country? Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

to my knowledge visa is good for 6 months after issue then void. after entry into US you have 90 days to marry or visa once more is void

interview must be scheduled within 4 months from uscis approval. if not, petitioner must send letter to embassy stating continued desire to marry beneficiary

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

There is some information about K1 Visa validity dates in the DOS Nonimmigrant K-1 Fiancee FAQs:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/family/fiance-k-1.html

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Thank you for the replies! It is confusing because I had read the same information that you supplied on the US State Dept website (4 months from USCIS approval), but the email to my fiancee from the US embassy in Bogota states: "Debe tener en cuenta que dispone de un plazo de un año a partir de la fecha que USCIS aprobó su petición para programar y asistir a su cita" (translation: you must take into account that you have a period of one year from the date that USCIS approved the request to schedule and attend your appointment).

Timeline

Thank you for the replies! It is confusing because I had read the same information that you supplied on the US State Dept website (4 months from USCIS approval), but the email to my fiancee from the US embassy in Bogota states: "Debe tener en cuenta que dispone de un plazo de un año a partir de la fecha que USCIS aprobó su petición para programar y asistir a su cita" (translation: you must take into account that you have a period of one year from the date that USCIS approved the request to schedule and attend your appointment).

It is important to include the complete text of the FAQ:

My Petition Expired – Can It Be Extended?

The I-129F petition is valid for four months from the date of approval by USCIS. A consular officer can extend the validity of the petition if it expires before visa processing is completed.

Interviewing embassies/consulates can, and often do automatically extend the validity of approved petitions. This can be due to several factors, including, but not limited to, workload at the embassy/consulate, awaiting additional/administrative processing, etc. It is not a rare occurrence at all. Review some recent similar-themed threads in the K1 Progress forum for examples.

Edited by A&B

Timeline

Thanks again - my fiancee emailed the Bogota embassy with this question as well, so maybe they do have a different policy for the Colombian process. We'll see how they reply.

Timeline

A review of recent K1 Progress and Regional Forum threads will likely reveal that at that stage of the process instructions/requirements are often embassy/consulate-specific.

Edited by A&B

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

hi,

I had the same question and i attach here the answer of my embassy!

You dont have to worry the consul can reapprove the i129f in the interview date.

For example in the attachment my i129f is valid to 29 of january.

Hope it can help you and other people with same doubt as us.

post-190901-0-72526600-1418166791_thumb.jpg

Edited by hubby97

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It is valid for 4 months, but a consulate can extend the expiration. It sounds as if those instructions are saying that at the Bogota consulate, the expiration date will automatically be extended for up to a year so need to worry about the 4 month mark.

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 3 years later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.