Lilay

Confused about AOS, SSN, EAD and AP... Please help me figure out the order!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi everyone!

My K1 interview at the embassy is on December 8th and I'm planning to leave my country to go to the US on January 22nd if everything goes right.

I've been reading a lot about the order of applying to these things and it seems to me like everyone says something different. Some say to apply for SSN before getting married, and some say after since the last name will change... Some say to apply immidiately and some say to apply after 2 weeks... :/

I have a few questions:

- I'm confused about one thing: I know K1 expires in 3 months and we need to apply for AOS while it's valid. But do we need to get our NOA for AOS within these 3 months also?? Or is applying for it within the three months enough? I've read that some take a few months to get approved. Since the wedding is on the second month of my arrival, I don't want to do anything wrong.

- We planned our wedding date to be 22nd of February, which is a month after I arrive to the US (22nd January). Should we get married before our wedding date to get everything ready? I've read that TN marriage laws requires SSN but I might be wrong. And I know I have to wait 2 weeks to apply for SSN... But some say don't get SSN before marriage. How should I set the order?? Will I be able to get everything done in time??

I really don't understand what to do... I would be so thankful if you could help me out. Thanks! (L)

K1 Journey: AOS Journey:

March 25, 2014: I-129f sent. April 16, 2015: Date filed.

April 1, 2014: NOA1 received & check cashed. April 22, 2015: NOA received.
April 2, 2014: Alien Registration Number changed.
Sep 16, 2014: NOA2 - Petition approved!
Sep 23, 2014: Case shipped to NVC.

Oct 01, 2014: Case arrived at NVC.

Oct 03, 2014: Got our case number!

Oct 06, 2014: Left NVC.

Oct 17, 2014: At the Embassy.

Oct 22, 2014: Packet 3 received.

Nov 03, 2014: Packet 3 sent.

Nov 11, 2014: Medical examination.

Dec 2, 2014: Packet 4 received.

Dec 8, 2014: Interview! (Approved!!!)

Dec 10, 2014: Visa received!!!

Jan 22, 2015: US Entry!

Feb 22, 2015: Happily ever after! :-)

April 16, 2015: Filed Adjustment of STatus.

April 22, 2015: AOS NOA received.

May 14, 2015: Biometrics appointment.

October 09, 2015: AOS approved!

September 05, 2017: Lifting conditions filed.

The K-1 expires the moment you enter the country. The I-94 you will be granted gives you 90 days of authorised stay. You need to get married within that 90 days.

You don't have to apply for AOS within that 90 days, but it is better if you can.

Once you apply for AOS you will be in a new period of authorised stay.

You should apply for your SSN before you get married. These days there is no need to wait for 2 weeks to apply. Apply as soon as you can.

Not many places require an SSN to marry any more. There might still be a few. But most places will accept a passport in place of an SSN. However you should get your SSN before your wedding anyway, it will make your life easier.

When you apply for AOS for your green card (through form I-485) you should also submit forms I-765 and I-131 for your EAD and AP. These will take 60-90 days and will allow you to work and travel outside the US while you wait for your green card. The green card itself can take up to a year. You may or may not have an AOS interview. Usually those who are interviewed get their green cards faster.

Some people have a court wedding as soon as possible so they can get their marriage certificate and get started on the AOS, and then have their "big day" wedding later. You can do that if you want to be able to work sooner rather than later, but you don't have to.

Filed: Timeline

http://www.nashvilleclerk.com/living/marriage-license/

They ask for an SSN - for people who have been issued with one. I would email/call them and confirm if you can get a marriage license without one.

Even if they say that you don't need it to get the marriage license, you've still got a whole month before your wedding. So why not just head to the SS office as soon as you are able and get it out of the way before the wedding?

Timeline

The K-1 expires the moment you enter the country. The I-94 you will be granted gives you 90 days of authorised stay. You need to get married within that 90 days.

You don't have to apply for AOS within that 90 days, but it is better if you can.

Once you apply for AOS you will be in a new period of authorised stay.

You should apply for your SSN before you get married. These days there is no need to wait for 2 weeks to apply. Apply as soon as you can.

Not many places require an SSN to marry any more. There might still be a few. But most places will accept a passport in place of an SSN. However you should get your SSN before your wedding anyway, it will make your life easier.

When you apply for AOS for your green card (through form I-485) you should also submit forms I-765 and I-131 for your EAD and AP. These will take 60-90 days and will allow you to work and travel outside the US while you wait for your green card. The green card itself can take up to a year. You may or may not have an AOS interview. Usually those who are interviewed get their green cards faster.

Some people have a court wedding as soon as possible so they can get their marriage certificate and get started on the AOS, and then have their "big day" wedding later. You can do that if you want to be able to work sooner rather than later, but you don't have to.

Thank you so much Lainie B, this answers to a lot in my mind! :) I've just been reading in a lot of topics that I should apply to AOS within 90 days of arrival. I was so confused.

So my plan now would be:

Get to the US on 22nd Jan.

Apply for SSN a few days later, as soon as I can.

Get married on Feb 22nd on wedding day as planned. (I've heard that certified marriage license might take a few weeks to arrive so might as well wait for it)

Honeymoon for a week.

When the certified license arrives, apply for AOS, EAD and AP.

Would this work fine?

Thanks again!

http://www.nashvilleclerk.com/living/marriage-license/

They ask for an SSN - for people who have been issued with one. I would email/call them and confirm if you can get a marriage license without one.

Even if they say that you don't need it to get the marriage license, you've still got a whole month before your wedding. So why not just head to the SS office as soon as you are able and get it out of the way before the wedding?

Thanks for looking into it for me! I will get the SSN before the wedding, so it'll be fine , I guess :)

Your plan would work just fine. Though remember there is a difference between the marriage license and the marriage certificate. You apply for the marriage license before you get married. There are certain requirements to meet (depends on your location) and you will have a certain period to use it (again depends on your location). There may be a "cooling off" period - ie in some places you must apply for the license then wait a certain amount of time, then have the wedding. In other places (Las Vegas is famous for this) you can apply for the license and get married all on the same day.

The marriage certificate is what proves you are married. In some places this is a separate document to the marriage license, in others is simply the marriage license that has been signed by all parties and witnesses. The original stays at the court - you get a certified copy. You should ask for several certified copies (there will probably be a fee for extra copies). In some states you can get the marriage certificate on the day of your wedding, in others you have to wait and get it days or weeks later. You might be able to get a copy sooner if you ask.

Timeline

Your plan would work just fine. Though remember there is a difference between the marriage license and the marriage certificate. You apply for the marriage license before you get married. There are certain requirements to meet (depends on your location) and you will have a certain period to use it (again depends on your location). There may be a "cooling off" period - ie in some places you must apply for the license then wait a certain amount of time, then have the wedding. In other places (Las Vegas is famous for this) you can apply for the license and get married all on the same day.

The marriage certificate is what proves you are married. In some places this is a separate document to the marriage license, in others is simply the marriage license that has been signed by all parties and witnesses. The original stays at the court - you get a certified copy. You should ask for several certified copies (there will probably be a fee for extra copies). In some states you can get the marriage certificate on the day of your wedding, in others you have to wait and get it days or weeks later. You might be able to get a copy sooner if you ask.

thanks so much for all the usedul info! It helped a lot :) I'll follow your recommendations and research more about how Nashville does the wedding stuff.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.