AmandaLane102

proof of domicile questions!!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Namibia
Timeline

I am living overseas with my husband, but have only been here for about 5 months so far and intend to move back in May which would make it 11 months. I am trying to prepare for the AOS ahead of time and think of what I can include for re-establishment of domicile. . .

First of all - is the proof of re-establishment of domicile accepted/questioned at the NVC stage or only at the interview stage? Because I heard someone else say that in their interview in South Africa where my husband will be interviewed, they didn't even ask for her proof of domicile or re-establishment, but she was a DCF filer so I don't think she ever went through NVC. Do people get checklists for the domicile issue or is this something that only comes up in interviews?

Second - I have heard people say to show that you have debit/credit cards - should I photocopy my debit card? Seems strange. . . if I do this, should I/can I black out the last 4 digits or something? Will that even be considered good proof?

I have no voting record (only a voting registration card with my old address on it - should I include that??) and won't be home to vote this year. . .

I pay no state taxes because there are no state taxes in Florida, BUT of course I do pay income taxes but that will anyway be included with my AOS, will they use that as proof?

-- I have an email from USPS confirming a request for an address changed (my parents whom I was previously living with moved so I changed my address to their new one)

--I have bank statements to show I have an active account

--Credit cards as mentioned above (should I include copies of them?)

--I have an email to my old boss telling him I want to re-enter the school district as a teacher with a response saying I should come by with my resume in December when I visit

--I will have my AAA card renewed . . .

-- I will get a letter from my parents saying I intend to stay with them until I find a place (my goal is August)

But that's about it. Is this a problem , can anyone suggest what else I can look into?

06.21.13 : Met in Namibia

06.21.14 : Married in Namibia (L)

USCIS

• 10.11.14 : Submitted I-130 via DHL from Namibia to Chicago Lockbox
  • 10.15.14 : Petition Received (according to online case status)
  • 10.20.14 : NOA1 (received initially via e-mail); Case Transferred to California Service Center
  • 10.31.14 : NOA2 (received initially via e-mail); Case Transferred to NVC (11 days from NOA1)

NVC

• 12.11.14 : Case # and IIN # received from NVC via e-mail
  • 12.11.14 : DS-261 Choice of Agent Form Generated (notified via e-mail) & Submitted
  • 12.11.14 : AOS Fee Invoice Generated (notified via e-mail)
  • 12.24.14 : AOS Fee Paid
  • 01.13.15 : IV Fee Invoice Generated (notified via e-mail)
  • 01.24.15 : IV Fee Paid

*** Intentionally Delayed Further Submission ***

• 09.26.15 : DS-260 Submitted
  • 10.20.15 : AOS & IV Packages Submitted
  • 10.22.15: AOS & IV Packages Received by NVC (scan date)
  • 12.2.15: Cased Closed at NVC - Received Interview Date for January 14

EMBASSY

• 12.18.15: Medical Completed in Johannesburg

*** Intentionally Delayed Interview ***

• 01.20.16: New Interview Date Scheduled for March 17
  • 03.14.16 & 03.15.16: New Medical Completed (First one would expire before our preferred date of entry!)
  • 03.17.16 Interview in Johannesburg - successful!
  • 04.02.16 Visa received (Expires 9/14/16)
  • 07.11.16 USCIS ELIS fee paid
  • 08.26.16 Date of Entry (POE Boston)

Hi,

Yes it was me that replied to your earlier post. Proof to re-establishment of domicile is only at the interview for SOME countries, and South Africa isn't concerned with it. You haven't been out of the country very long. I was out a very long time, and was never ask for any information about re-establishment of domicile. If you makes you feel better then type up a list and present it the day your interview it. But it is not necessary only if you makes you feel better.

I didn't photocopy any of my cards. I did print out my bank statements in the USA and brought them to the interview, and again they did not ask to see them.

Timeline

Hi,

Yes it was me that replied to your earlier post. Proof to re-establishment of domicile is only at the interview for SOME countries, and South Africa isn't concerned with it. You haven't been out of the country very long. I was out a very long time, and was never ask for any information about re-establishment of domicile. If you makes you feel better then type up a list and present it the day your interview it. But it is not necessary only if you makes you feel better.

I didn't photocopy any of my cards. I did print out my bank statements in the USA and brought them to the interview, and again they did not ask to see them.

Thanks!! I did read your earlier post, but since you did DCF , did you still have to submit your AOS to NVC in the States?? I am concerned about the domicile issue for THAT step (AOS package to NVC) in particular . . .

USCIS

• 10.20.14 : NOA1 (received initially via e-mail); Case Transferred to California Service Center
  • 10.31.14 : NOA2 (received initially via e-mail); Case Transferred to NVC (11 days from NOA1)

NVC

• 12.11.14 : DS-261 Choice of Agent Form Generated (notified via e-mail) & Submitted

EMBASSY

• 03.14.16 & 03.15.16: New Medical Completed (First one would expire before our preferred date of entry!)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Proof of Domicile is basically any ties you have to United States while being outside of the USA.

For example:

1. Maintaining ID Card/Driver License

2. Bank Statements

3. Credit Card Statements

4. Any Rent or Mortgage being paid

5. Receiving Postal Mail at your given address.

Thanks!! I did read your earlier post, but since you did DCF , did you still have to submit your AOS to NVC in the States?? I am concerned about the domicile issue for THAT step (AOS package to NVC) in particular . . .

I didn't deal with NVC. Are you talking about Affidavit of support for AOS? You can use the search function and reach other threads, but it's not an issue. They just care if you can support yourself and not become and burden. They want to see your I-864 and tax returns.

Timeline

Proof of Domicile is basically any ties you have to United States while being outside of the USA.

For example:

1. Maintaining ID Card/Driver License

2. Bank Statements

3. Credit Card Statements

4. Any Rent or Mortgage being paid

5. Receiving Postal Mail at your given address.

Yes I know thanks, I have some of the above - I don't have credit card statements because I don't use my credit card, but I have bank statements. My question was whether or not I should include a photocopy of my credit/debit cards.

And my more important question was whether or not NVC really looks at this or the interview addresses this?

USCIS

NVC

EMBASSY

Timeline

I didn't deal with NVC. Are you talking about Affidavit of support for AOS? You can use the search function and reach other threads, but it's not an issue. They just care if you can support yourself and not become and burden. They want to see your I-864 and tax returns.

Yeah. . . because you didn't deal with NVC I don't think you're aware of the domicile part that goes along with the Affidavit of Support process and package.

For outside filers, when you send in your I-1864 and tax returns, they also want to see proof of domicile or proof of re-establishment of domicile included in the package. This is a requirement. This is a big part of the AOS (affidavit of support) package that non-DCF filers have to provide NVC. So your case differs from mine because you never had to deal with NVC and I am trying to find out:

if NVC looks carefully at the domicile on their end and if checklists have been given to people for lack of proof. Anyone?

Edited by AmandaLane102

USCIS

NVC

EMBASSY

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.