Not a Tailor

Same sex couples and anti-same-sex congressmen/senators?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

If I can add my 2 cents here. I did contact BOTH my Senators regarding a) The TSC delay of over 6 months and b) concern about my fiance being interviewed at the US Embassy in a Homophobic country.

the result? A big fat egg...they did nothing. So the great 'blue state' of NY did not even help!!

• 2 weeks later...

Adding my two cents as a former congressional staffer in case it helps anyone in the future:

1) You have your choice in which of your elected officials to contact.

2) If you are concerned with bias, choose the least likely to be so but do know this: the staff for the senators and congressman do NOT necessarily reflect the views of the elected official. They just work for him/her. When I worked on the Hill I worked for two Republican congressman but I am and have always been a liberal Democrat. Getting a paying position on Capitol Hill is hard enough without adding your own politics in....the staff often starts off just trying to get their foot in the door and will take a position even if it is in conflict with our own personal opinions (we know it's better to change opinions from the inside). Quite honestly most elected officials aren't in the office much and the staff doesn't have as much interaction with the boss as you would expect.

3) When choosing between two officials, look at the election schedule. If you choose the one that is up for election your results may vary - they want your vote but they are super busy and you might not get a timely response, especially if the election is days or weeks away. Add to it that who you are asking for help may lose the election and you've got a lame congressional rep who has to pack up their stuff and staff that needs to find new jobs. Pick the person not up for election.

4) Constituent services staff are human and want to help you. Period.

5) Just because they may want to help doesn't mean they always can. Or that the person assigned to assist you is experienced. If it's a new person in the role they may not have all the experience or relationships established to do much.

Edited by mtempelaar

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.