Not a Tailor

Same sex couples and anti-same-sex congressmen/senators?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know we're not into OMG THINGS ARE TAKING FOREVER time yet, but my wife and I were talking about messaging her congressman to see if they can investigate why some service centres are taking so much less time than others, as we would like to bring attention to the plight of people waiting for legal immigration to the attention of people who might be able to do something about it.

We originally thought she was in a democratic uh... I don't remember the American word, but riding, voter district. Then we realized her area is ridiculously gerrymandered, apparently, and she's actually in a republican one that juts into the democrat's region like a weird peninsula with a bubble on the end. We checked the voting record for her congressman. He is completely anti-gay. Has proudly voted against marriage equality in every possible vote he could.

If things DO get to the point that we DO need to start contacting the congressman/senator (The senator is just as bad, she says), are we likely to get ignored due to being same sex? Like, can they refuse to actually do anything or pretend they can't get any information just because we go against their voting record and values?

We're a bit worried about this and we're wondering if anyone has any information/history with this.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Well they can't formally refuse to handle your request, as elected government officials they have to follow the law. However, that doesn't mean they won't discriminate. Unfortunately, you would just have to take that chance. If it were up to me I would have them all thrown out of office, but sigh.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The issue you are complaining about is not Gender specific, not that anything would change within your time period no matter how sympathetic the Representative is.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You're right, but I think her concern is if the Congressman wants to be a douche if he wants case specific info and notices that they're a same sex couple.

Timeline

They would never see it, that have people to handle immigration queries.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

That doesn't stop the congressman from having said something to his staff. I also would think that people working for a very homophobic congressman night just have a higher rate of homophobia than the average population.

2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

That doesn't stop the congressman from having said something to his staff. I also would think that people working for a very homophobic congressman night just have a higher rate of homophobia than the average population.

Unless you have concrete proof to back your sayings, I think you are very biased and judgmental too.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

I'm not saying it is the case, I'm saying it's a strong possibility that people who support the beliefs of a person or company might just choose to work for a person or company. In this case, people working for a politician who keeps making it so a state lacks marriage equality might support that lack. I'm asking the question because I don't know it's the case, so I'm wondering what others, especially same sex couples who are going through the immigration process, have encountered.

Do you believe that members of the same political group or movement have nothing in common?

March 13, 2014 Married!

Timeline

I guess this could apply in many situations, say your Representative was Muslim and you were Jewish, Black and White, Male and Female, the list goes on. And on.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Elected Congressmen's and Senators' staffs are supposed to help their constituents. Look on the Congressman's website for the release form that everyone has to sign before the staff can begin to help you. Complete it, send it in, and wait for contact. You don't need to tell them anything more than they need to know in order to research your case. Just do it. If the Congressman's staff is nonresponsive, repeat the procedure with the Senator's office. Just do it.

[Moderator hat on]

If one more political-commentary post appears in this thread, the thread will be moved to the Current Events & Hot Social Topics forum or be closed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

If it comes down to needing to be moved or closed, at some point in the future, I would prefer it be closed.

The senator's record is no better. I can't wait until we can move out of the red states. I find myself worrying about these types of things affecting our immigration journey if we run into any road bumps. Of course the longer waiting for noa2 takes, the more anxious we get that there's some problem neither of us know about.

March 13, 2014 Married!

You've stated that you aren't even at the stage yet to be considering contacting an elected official about your long wait, so why even worry about this? There are plenty of other things to occupy your mind during this process without going out of your way to have unnecessary dealings with homophobes.

The term now is heterosexist, homophobe is an incorrect term because they aren't scared, just (a word that will get edited out so I won't bother saying).

OP: Yes I understand your concern. This is why I live in the beautiful blue state of NY where more of people's rights are respected. You won't have any issues with your immigration just because you live in Texas though.

Immigration is based on federal law and not only does the federal government recognize your marriage, immigration only cares that the marriage is legal where it was performed, not where you live.

What you will definitely have issues with are state level benefits. So whatever protections for married couples that are part of state law, you will not be able to get. Things like adoption, health insurance, visitation, and a whole bunch of other rights are covered under state law and since in Texas SSM isn't legal yet or recognized, you won't have access to any of these things.

There are plenty of same sex couples here who live in states where SSM isn't legal or recognized and that I'm aware of, haven't had issues because they live in a non SSM state. Do not be concerned and as suggested, start focusing on preparing for the NVC stage which is another headache all on it's own.

If it helps, when we contacted our representative, she never even acknowledged our message, let alone try to help. Since I'm in a heterosexual marriage, I think it's because she's either a) extremely busy and unable to help her constituents or b) didn't give a rat's a$$. I don't think you can prove any kind of discrimination when some of them just don't respond to messages anyway.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Agree with Ketsuban on this, many of them do nothing to help heterosexual couples so would be hard for them to do any less because they disagree with your petition :lol:

Good luck with your journey though.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.