JoeMama

INTERNATIONAL MARRIAGE BROKER?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I want to know how the USCIS defines as a "INTERNATIONAL MARRIAGE BROKER" in I-129F? I met my fiance on a personals website, RussianEuro.com. I do not know if this site is deemed as a "International Marriage Broker" service as defined by the USCIS. I paid for a year-long membership with unlimited membership contact. They do not monitor or censor letters, instant messenging, etc. She contacted me first with a positive message through this website. We immediately moved to using Yahoo Instant Messenging because I can log our chat sessions. But I did not know this would come in handy later on as our relationship had progressed to love and the discussion of marriage.

If anyone has a detailed description from USCIS that defines an "INTERNATIONAL MARRIAGE BROKER", I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks for your time! ;-)

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I want to know how the USCIS defines as a "INTERNATIONAL MARRIAGE BROKER" in I-129F? I met my fiance on a personals website, RussianEuro.com. I do not know if this site is deemed as a "International Marriage Broker" service as defined by the USCIS. I paid for a year-long membership with unlimited membership contact. They do not monitor or censor letters, instant messenging, etc. She contacted me first with a positive message through this website. We immediately moved to using Yahoo Instant Messenging because I can log our chat sessions. But I did not know this would come in handy later on as our relationship had progressed to love and the discussion of marriage.

If anyone has a detailed description from USCIS that defines an "INTERNATIONAL MARRIAGE BROKER", I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks for your time! ;-)

I cannot say for sure but probably not.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I can say for sure and it is. If you paid for addresess or the ability to contact people and it is not a religious based organization then it is considered to be an International Marriage Broker. If you contact her from a free site it is not or if it is one primarily operated for US citizens it is not. If you look around this section you will find the legal definion but it really boils down to if you paid for anything, it is an IMB

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Timeline
I can say for sure and it is. If you paid for addresess or the ability to contact people and it is not a religious based organization then it is considered to be an International Marriage Broker. If you contact her from a free site it is not or if it is one primarily operated for US citizens it is not. If you look around this section you will find the legal definion but it really boils down to if you paid for anything, it is an IMB

Yahoo personals is not considered an IMB... how is that different?

YMMV

Timeline

That is the question. The website where I met my fiancee is exactly like "Yahoo Personals". You only pay a small membership to use the site to meet other people. You do not pay for addresses or phone numbers. This is why I am caught whether the site I met my fiancee is to be considered an "International Marriage Broker" according to I-129F. :(

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The only definition of INTERNATIONAL MARRIAGE BROKER that matters is the one in IMBRA.

USCIS does not define it, IMBRA does. USCIS is just following the law (sort of).

RussianEuro probably fits the definition, so just say YES and give the website URL, the address and phone of RussianEuro. That's the safe course of action.

Yahoo personals is not considered an IMB... how is that different?

To us, there is no difference between Yahoo Personals or RussianEuro, or FilipinaHeart, but under the IMBRA law, there is a difference. Yahoo's primary purpose is NOT a dating site whereas the primary purpose for the others is exactly that. Just google IMBRA and read the definition for yourself.

my blog: http://immigrationlawreformblog.blogspot.com/

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Charles M. Province

I agree. The USCIS is loosely interpreting IMBRA. In their minds, if you paid for membership to meet people they are going to say it is an International Marriage Broker. But, what it really boils down to is this. Do you have anything in your background that might influence this lady from Ukraine about possibly marrying you? A marriage should be entered with full knowledge and complete trust.

But, what is more concerning to me is that you haven't mentioned if you two have met. Email and even telephone conversations are great, but you need proof of having met each other. Any talk of marriage before that would be premature. I hope if you haven't met her, that you have plans for a trip to Ukraine soon. The spring is a wonderful time to visit, especially in May.

Good Luck and keep us posted about your progress.

Timeline
I agree. The USCIS is loosely interpreting IMBRA. In their minds, if you paid for membership to meet people they are going to say it is an International Marriage Broker. But, what it really boils down to is this. Do you have anything in your background that might influence this lady from Ukraine about possibly marrying you? A marriage should be entered with full knowledge and complete trust.

But, what is more concerning to me is that you haven't mentioned if you two have met. Email and even telephone conversations are great, but you need proof of having met each other. Any talk of marriage before that would be premature. I hope if you haven't met her, that you have plans for a trip to Ukraine soon. The spring is a wonderful time to visit, especially in May.

I guess the bottom line is really... What difference does it make? When in doubt, put the information on the petition and move on.

YMMV

Timeline

I found out the term USCIS has defined as "International Marriage Broker". This should help for anyone in the future if they have questions regarding the same situation on their I-129F form.

What is the definition of "International Marriage Broker (IMB)"? Are there exceptions? Does this law apply to my favorite international correspondence website on the Internet?

Answer: IMB is defined very broadly in this law, as are all relevant terms in this law. (Bo Cooper, former INS General Counsel from several years ago, actually drafted this law; he sits on the board of directors of the feminist Tahirih Justice Center and intended to provide broad abuse protection to immigrant fiancées and brides.)

The definition of IMB, under Section 833(e)(4)(A), is any corporation, individual, or legal entity, whether or not existing under the laws of the U.S., who charges fees for providing dating, matrimonial, matchmaking or social referrals or is "otherwise faciliating communication between individuals."

There are, under Section 833(e)(4)(B), TWO IMPORTANT EXCEPTIONS, : 1) "The Non-Profit": a traditional matchmaking organization of a cultural or religious nature which offers its services on a non-profit basis under law, tyically a state-registered corporation, and 2) "The Non-Primary Business with Comparable Rates": a domestic dating service or other primary service whose principal business is NOT international dating and which charges comparable rates for comparable services to all individuals, men and women, domestic and foreign.

Your favorite international correspondence website on the Internet would in fact be subject to this law, IF the exceptions enumerated above do not apply.

Some U.S. clients and IMBs are asking if the IMB would "qualify" for an exception if they don't charge fees for the lady's personal contact. The safe answer would appear to be: only if the other qualifications of Exception No. 1 apply. An IMB's claim to an exception based in the statement that "We don't charge fees for lady's contact or any dating service", but coupled with an admission that the company generates revenue and profits, however small, from such things as advertising fees for related services such as flowers, candy and cards, Google "ad-words", or charitable donations from members, carries a risk that the "non-profit" exception does not genuinely apply.

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

Timeline

Thanks for the attention to the question I had. I was able to find the answer after some time. And I must list that we did meet through an "international marriage broker" according the change of law in 2006. You were wondering if we have ever met personally. As of this date, no I have not met her. My friends in Ukraine have personally met her. But I will be with her in 16 days for 2 weeks in Odessa. This is the last requirement I need to fulfill on my behalf to apply for the fiancee visa. I have been to Ukraine 3 other times this past year and a half. I love it over there! My fiancee and I spend anywhere from 4-10 hours a day on Yahoo IM with webcams. It was some time after communicating the way we have on a daily basis, we knew what we both wanted. Believe me, I am not wealthy at all. I've disclosed EVERYTHING from my profile even mentioning my 3 daughters living with me that would prevent any lady from thinking that I offer the "Easy life full of luxuries". Besides, my fiancee's mother hops the computer and speaks with me now. ;)

Edited by altimixdj

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I hope you have a good trip and that it turns out the way you hope. I have been to Ukraine myself perhaps 12-15 times. It is a great country and I really enjoy it there.

I was in about the same situation that you are. I met my fiancee through Elena's models which is similar to the service you used. I answered yes on my petition and gave the name and address for Elena's. The odds are that it will never come up in the interview or create any problems for you.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
I hope you have a good trip and that it turns out the way you hope. I have been to Ukraine myself perhaps 12-15 times. It is a great country and I really enjoy it there.

I was in about the same situation that you are. I met my fiancee through Elena's models which is similar to the service you used. I answered yes on my petition and gave the name and address for Elena's. The odds are that it will never come up in the interview or create any problems for you.

It IS an International Marriage broker if the user pays a fee to a company to be able to contact an international potential spouse with the intention of a relationship and possible marriage. The company who receives the payment must be one whose primiary objective is to introduce a non-american to an american for relationship and/or marriage intentions.

Dont risk trying to say it is not one if it actually is...simply because you dont want to have to claim you met this way. Be proud of the option you chose, tell the Government about it and move on. They dont frown on it, they just want to know so they can regulate and monitor.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.gif3dflagsdotcom_colom_2fawl.gif

You can visit us at: www.BradAndVicky.com

CR-1 Process (I-130)

06/02/06 - I-130 received @ USCIS Texas Service Center

06/26/06 - NOA1 received, Dated 6/22 & check cashed

08/29/06 - Approved by email - 91 DAYS!!!

09/05/06 - NOA2 received by mail

09/20/06 - NVC assigned Case #

10/02/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Generated

10/04/06 - DS3032 Shortcut Emailed & AOS Fee Bill Shortcut Sent

10/06/06 - Received email acceptance of DS3032

10/18/06 - Received & Returned IV Fee Bill

10/20/06 - I-864 Package Generated, Shorcut Sent

11/01/06 - DS-230 Package Generated, Shortcut Sent

12/01/06 - Case Complete!!!

12/07/06 - Case sent to US Embassy, Bogota

01/15/07 - Received packet from Bogota!

01/30/07 - Bogota Interview - Approved! (visa received same day)

02/08/07 - Welcome to the E.U. mi Amor!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It IS an International Marriage broker if the user pays a fee to a company to be able to contact an international potential spouse with the intention of a relationship and possible marriage. The company who receives the payment must be one whose primiary objective is to introduce a non-american to an american for relationship and/or marriage intentions.

Dont risk trying to say it is not one if it actually is...simply because you dont want to have to claim you met this way. Be proud of the option you chose, tell the Government about it and move on. They dont frown on it, they just want to know so they can regulate and monitor.

You're reading things into then definition that are not there. The IMBRA definition says nothing about intentions.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

This should help. If it is not a huge corporation like Match.com that won't disclose whether its membership is now more than 50% foreign, if less than 50% of non-paying members are American and the site says it wants to specifically help Americans meet someone non-American for a social (as opposed to business) reason, it is a marriage broker. If it is a lesbian dating site like www.girlfriendsmeet.com, they are a marriage broker too. I am not sure if you have to discuss whether you met someone on an IMB before the restraining order on IMBRA was lifted in September, but you clearly will not have to worry much if the European Connections case is decided against the government, which could happen anytime. The government would not dare reject you at this time because of where you met:

marriage-broker.jpg

imbra.jpg

IMBRAsWorstSection.jpg

Edited by MidnightinMoscow

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.