Texans_99

My Whole Journey - I got Approved today!

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

I have been a fly on the wall for my whole application process, but I would like to share my experience so that everyone else can benefit from it as well:

I will try to keep it short. I applied on July 24, 2014 and got approved on the spot (passport stamped) at the interview today - October 1, 2014.

I got married in a traditional ceremony on May 11, got registered in the USA on June 27, 2014.

I sent the following documents and I had no RFE and total process took 2 months and 7 days:

July 19, 2014,

To,

U.S Department of Homeland Security,

Subject: COVER LETTER for I-485

Enclosed please find Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization, Form I-131 Application for Travel Document, Form G1145 E-Notification of application/petition acceptance
and all supporting documents.

My eligibility to adjust from F-1 status to permanent resident status is based on marriage to a U.S. Citizen.

I-485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS

1. Check in the amount of US$1070.00 (biometrics fee included)
2. Form I-485: Petition for Alien Relative
3. Copy of passport's biographical page
4. Copy of valid I-94 form (electronic I-94)
5. Copy of current F1 visa and previously issued visa’s with entry and exit stamps.
6. Copies of latest I-20.
8. Copy of birth certificate.
9. Certified copy of marriage certificate
10. Two (2) passport-type photos of
11. Form G-325A: Biographic Information filled out by signed and dated
12. Form I-693: Medical Examinations of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status in a sealed envelope provided
13. Form I-864EZ: Affidavit of Support
a. 2011 Tax Return Information
b. 2012 Tax Return Information
c. 2013 Tax Return Information

d. Paystubs of last six months

I-765 APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT DOCUMENT

1. Form I-765: Applicant for Employment Document
2. Two (2) passport-type photos

3. Copy of passport's biographical page
4. Copy of valid I-94 form (electronic I-94)
5. Copy of current F1 visa and previously issued visa’s with entry and exit stamps.
6. Copy of my 2013-2014 Employment Authorization Card

I-131 APPLICATION FOR TRAVEL DOCUMENT

1. Form I-131: Applicant for Travel Document
2. Explanation for Eligibility on a separate sheet dated & signed
3. Two (2) passport-type photo

4. Copy of passport's biographical page
5. Copy of valid I-94 form (electronic I-94)
6. Copy of current F1 visa and previously issued visa’s with entry and exit stamps.

Sincerely,

Beneficiary:

7/19/2014

---------------------

July 19, 2014,

To,

U.S Department of Homeland Security,

Subject: COVER LETTER for I-130

Petitioner (U.S. Citizen):
Beneficiary (Alien Spouse):
Dear Sir/ Madam:

Please kindly find enclosed filing of form: I-130 Petition for Beneficiary (alien spouse) by Petitioner (U.S Citizen).

Contents include:

1. Check in the amount of US$420 for I-130

2. Form G1145 E-Notification of application/petition acceptance

4. I-130 Petition For Alien Relative
• Copy of US Citizen’s naturalization certificate
• Copy of US Citizen’s passport
• Copy of marriage certificate
• G325A signed by US Citizen
• G325A signed by beneficiary
• Passport photo of US Citizen (attached with a paper clip to Form I-130 and signed)
• Passport photo of beneficiary (attached with a paper clip to Form I-130 and signed)
• Evidence of Bona fide Marriage:

- Affidavit for Bona Fide Marriage by third party US Citizen
- Copy of joint bank account information

- Apartment Lease copy

- Joint Medical Insurance
- Copy of joint renter’s insurance

- Copy of joint Internet and cable bills
- Picture that document relationship and marriage

- Wedding Invite

Sincerely,

Petitioner:

7/19/14

After I sent everything to Chicago Lockbox, I received the receipts. My fingerprinting notice came after a month. I tried doing walk in at Houston but was sent back asking to come in the afternoon. ( Anyone who resides in Houston and want to do walk in fingerprinting then go around 3, they are not busy). I received my interview notice 2 weeks after my bio metrics. My EAD card and Advance parole was received 2 weeks before my interview. I did not use it as my company already applied for my H-1B after my OPT expired. So I just kept using my H-1B.

Interview Day and Drama:

Me and My wife walked into the Houston service center for interview. When we were waiting, my wife suddenly realized that her wedding ring is missing, she freaks out and goes to the car to check it out. She does not find it and when she comes back she realizes her phone is missing. She starts freaking out, I calm her down and our number gets called.

Officer was a nice lady, who walked us to her office and after initial oath starts asking me questions about all my immigration history. She was making notes at the same time. Then she asked me about my marriage date and I got confused about the traditional date and registration date. But she had already reviewed our file and asked me to tell the traditional date. After that she looked at all the previously submitted evidence and asked if we have anything else with us to prove:

This time I came armed with 401k beneficiary letter, our previous travel itinerary for our friends wedding and our Photographs of life after wedding. She actually looked at the photo graph taken outside NRG stadium at a Texans game and said "Cute". After this, she asked my wife couple of questions and said I am approving your case. She stamped my passport and told me the 2 year conditional residency requirement and walked us out of door. Total time spent 10 minutes.

So that's it folks.... Oh yeah, My wife's ring and phone were found!!!

Thank you!!

Edited by Texans_99

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to Fam.-based AOS Progress Forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Huzzah!!!

Glad you found her phone and ring! I misplaced my ring for a few hours once... Felt so naked!!

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.