Bosco

IDF builds fake Arab town

128 posts in this topic

How do you think the coverage of this story would be if it was Iran's military building a fake Israeli town?

IDF builds fake Muslim city to prepare for war

SHELLY PAZ, THE JERUSALEM POST Jan. 22, 2007

The IDF unveiled an Urban Warfare Training Center (UTC) on Monday in a mock city that simulates an Arab town, four months after the second Lebanon war ended.

The unit's commanders firmly stated that the city was planned eight years ago and that construction began a year ago. They added that the current pace of the training was two battalions each week.

The mock city is located in the southern Tze'elim military base. From a distance, it looks like any Arab urban center.

Around 500 structures were built for a maximum capacity of 5,000 residents. "Just like in every real city we built mosques, a Casba and even a refugee camp," said Lt.-Col Arik Moreh, the second in command of the Tactical Training City (TTC), part of the UTC, following a large urban warfare training exercise Monday morning.

Arab music was played in the background throughout the entire exercise, to get everyone in the mood.

In the center some of the houses' walls have holes, an imitation of those soldiers leave behind after breaking into houses and taking them over.

"This place was built as close as possible to reality. The density of the houses, the stores, a central plaza," said Moreh, adding that the exercise included mainly cadets from a commanders' course.

During the exercise, 350 soldiers were spread out in the fake town, some playing the role of civilians while a few women, dressed in American uniforms and armed with laser target rifles, acted as Hizbullah fighters.

"This is a routine breaker," said two of the women following a short demonstration in which soldiers broke into a house - successfully, of course.

"Usually we are Hummer operators but this exercise is fun because you have a chance to shoot these laser rifles," the girls explained.

"The main difficulty of such urban combat is to keep track of the location of each and every soldier, because as soon as the forces get into a town like this, they disappear in the houses and become invisible," said Moreh.

According to the IDF, the city's structures were influenced by many Arab cities, but mostly by Ramallah.

Every house is equipped with surveillance cameras which start filming as soon as the forces step inside, for debriefing purposes.

All field units will be trained in the UTC, including the Air Force, the special canine unit, DCO officials and even media representatives.

Brig.-Gen. Uzi Moskovich, the head of the Ground Training Center (GTC), said that the facility "is the largest one of its kind in the world" and stretches over 20 sq.km.

"In addition, the resemblance to a real urban center helps us prepare our forces better," he added.

"Most important are the debriefing capabilities the UTC is equipped with. This way we can reach the best conclusions."

Parts of the UTC are still under construction and will open in July 2007. Both regular and reserve units will train there and practice possible scenarios of urban fighting, from kidnappings to various terror activities and ambushes.

"Lessons will be learned together with all the participating units. We know that training is a process we will have to work on gradually," said Moskovich, adding that in the future, the IDF will host foreign armies.

"This kind of massive training in an environment that simulates a real fighting situation is one of the conclusions from the last war," said Moskovich.

According to Moskovich, there is no problem of demoralization among the soldiers. "The collective mood is that we made some mistakes which have to be taken into consideration, but all in all, the atmosphere is good," he said.

However, two paratroopers who, as reservists, took part in the exercise said the problem during the Lebanon war was the conduct of the political echelon.

"There is no forecast for another war soon, but the area we live in is not stable and the IDF has to be ready as soon as possible," concluded Moskovich.

After the photogenic simulation for the visiting journalists, First Lieutenant Effi said that a major differences between the UTC and a real combat situation is the live ammunition.

He added that "the fear factor is missing because this is only a simulation. But it helps improve our abilities. This is a more accurate tool for us and we hope we'll do better" in the next war.•

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

We know, of course, the screams of anti-semitism would be heard across the galaxy.

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

To even ask such a question would be anti-semitic. :yes:

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

well we all know im a jew by now

and i would not find it anti semitic. all countries build models to practice warfare. if iran planned to invade israel, they would be stupid not to build a model.

dont put words into the mouths of jews. not everything is anti semitic. its a war, get over it

Feb 16, 2007 I-129F SENT

Feb 17, 2007 I-129F recieved by CSC

Feb 20, 2007 NOA 1

Feb 23, 2007 touch

Feb 26, 2007 NOA 1 recieved in mail

May 9, 2007 NOA2!!!!! we are on our way!

May 23, 2007 NVC finally sends on our case

June 12, 2007 Packet 3

July 27, 2007 Interview

AUG 14, 2007 APPROVED!

Oct 8, 2007 finally together again

Nov 2, 2007 Legally married

Nov 29, 2007 AOS paperwork sent

Dec 3, 2007 NOA for AOS and EAD

Dec 22, 2007 RFE

Jan 15, 2008 RFE returned

Jan 25, 2008 RFE recieved, last touch on AOS

Feb 22, 2008 EAD recieved

Mar 29, 2008 AP application sent... late but just in case

May 2008 AP approved!

Sept 5, 2008 AOS approved!

next dealing with UCIS June 2010

אני לדודי ודודי לי

and i would not find it anti semitic. all countries build models to practice warfare. if iran planned to invade israel, they would be stupid not to build a model.

dont put words into the mouths of jews. not everything is anti semitic. its a war, get over it

I didn't ask what Jews would say. I asked how people thought the coverage would be. People are responding to that. No one put any words in the mouths of Jews.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I must have missed the part where people were putting words into the mouths of Jews. Shucks!

Who is talking about jews? I'd say at least half the US would make this assertion considering how many members of Congress are in bed with AIPAC.

Where is there a war? You mean the one the IDF is waging against poor, oppressed people with no homes or jobs. OK, well, at least we know what it's called now.

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

I must have missed the part where people were putting words into the mouths of Jews. Shucks!

who would be doing the "oh its so anti-semitic then"? the arabs? the general american population who spent the last lebanon war complaining that the jews were the initiatiors and such?

no im pretty sure the above posters didnt mean those groups

oh and the war, as it says in the article, is the recent war with lebannon. or gaza, take your pick

Edited by wildroze22

Feb 16, 2007 I-129F SENT

Feb 17, 2007 I-129F recieved by CSC

Feb 20, 2007 NOA 1

Feb 23, 2007 touch

Feb 26, 2007 NOA 1 recieved in mail

May 9, 2007 NOA2!!!!! we are on our way!

May 23, 2007 NVC finally sends on our case

June 12, 2007 Packet 3

July 27, 2007 Interview

AUG 14, 2007 APPROVED!

Oct 8, 2007 finally together again

Nov 2, 2007 Legally married

Nov 29, 2007 AOS paperwork sent

Dec 3, 2007 NOA for AOS and EAD

Dec 22, 2007 RFE

Jan 15, 2008 RFE returned

Jan 25, 2008 RFE recieved, last touch on AOS

Feb 22, 2008 EAD recieved

Mar 29, 2008 AP application sent... late but just in case

May 2008 AP approved!

Sept 5, 2008 AOS approved!

next dealing with UCIS June 2010

אני לדודי ודודי לי

who would be doing the "oh its so anti-semitic then"? the arabs? the general american population who spent the last lebanon war complaining that the jews were the initiatiors and such?

oh and the war, as it says in the article, is the recent war with lebannon. or gaza, take your pick

So maybe you missed the part where you don't assume what people are thinking or what they mean by their posts. You might have noticed we say what we mean around here.

Americans spent the engagement with Lebanon doing what? Are we reading the same news?

I don't know what media you watch, but by far Lebanon was blamed for starting the war. Israel was blamed for extensive use of force.

The media throws anti-semitic around all the time. Don't make assumptions about the above posters because you really don't know them at all.

no the OP was not refering to any of those groups, stick around VJ long enough and you will see who comes screaming.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

In reality, it's LESS newsworthy than PRC's mil training models of Aksai Chin (an area occupied by PRC since 1962)

Second Link.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

that is correct. even the usa has plenty of these sites. one in ft hood was modeled on a german town. does that mean we'll invade germany? no, we had expectations of fighting a war there. there are also general models of middle eastern towns (i.e. not modeled after a specific town) for the same reason. they are to familiarize the soldiers with the average layout, architecture, and the pros and cons of those buildings. it's called training, for those who are clueless. in the army we have a saying. if you fail to train you are training to fail. any professional army has a similar outlook.........

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.