46 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

This is such a sad story, but I hope it has an amazing ending. You deserve a good life with your new wife after all of that!

6/24/2014 - I-130 Shipped via UPS to Chicago

6/26/2014 - I-130 Received and signed for at USCIS

7/1/2014 - E-mail of acceptance with Receipt number - NoA 1 (Routed to California Service Center)

07/15/2014 - Change of Address via phone call with USCIS, confirmation via e-mail.

7/30/2014 - I-130 Approved at USCIS - NoA 2 E-mail

08/13/2014 - NVC Received Approved I-130 package from USCIS

08/21/2014 - Case Number and IIN created at NVC

08/25/2014 - Case Number and IIN received via phone call. DS-261 Available and completed online.

8/26/2014 - AoS Fee invoiced and paid online.

8/28/2014 - AoS Invoice status PAID

09/04/2014 - Expedite Request response - Must enter Beneficiary Date of Birth - Re-sent exact e-mail with requested info

09/10/2014 - Expedite Request e-mail received as "Under Review"

09/11/2014 - Expedite Request Approved - Confirmation via e-mail from U.S. Embassy in Bucharest, Romania

09/16/2014 - Embassy Received Case from NVC

09/16/2014 - Received E-mail from Embassy to Schedule our Interview and prepare documents

9/23/2014 - Medical Exam at Regina Maria - Results OK

10/01/2014 - Visa Approved!

10/03/2014 - Received Passport with Visa!

11/2/2104 - PoE Atlanta - Welcome to the US!

11/5/2014 - Paid $165 ELIS Fee

8/1/2016 - I-751 Packet sent in for Removal of Conditions!

8/15/2016 - Notice of Action 1 for I-751 - California Service Center

9/29/2016 - Received Biometrics Appointment

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

OP,

The questions I would like to ask are:

1. Besides the point of the first relationship not working, even if it did, why would you get illegal employment? Why not consult with some friends and family, get a ticket back to NZ back then?

2.When the first relationship did not work out why did you not go home?

These are just questions as things would be a whole lot simpler if you left the country and did not gain illegal employment. I know you made the claim that you having illegal employment is almost the same as a person filing VAWA, but the fact is that they will ask you about employment on certain forms and they will find out. I'm sorry, but this is the truth. Honesty is the key when filing out immigration paperwork.

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OP,

1. Besides the point of the first relationship not working, even if it did, why would you get illegal employment? Why not consult with some friends and family, get a ticket back to NZ back then?

These are just questions as things would be a whole lot simpler if you left the country and did not gain illegal employment. I know you made the claim that you having illegal employment is almost the same as a person filing VAWA, but the fact is that they will ask you about employment on certain forms and they will find out. I'm sorry, but this is the truth. Honesty is the key when filing out immigration paperwork.

I can see being nosy these are interesting questions but they have nothing to do with his situation now.

I would imagine the vast majority who overstay have worked without authorisation, maybe an issue with IRS but not USCIS.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

OP: seems like you got the answer already, and seems like you have some good future waiting ahead of you! :) For now just go home, work there, live there. Your wife will file for you, then you'll do the waiver, and she'll probably need a cosponsor (she has to earn 125% above poverty level), and everything will be just fine. I don't see why you would need to worry. Sorry to hear your first marriage ended up so bad. :(

Take care, and all the best!

Filed: Other Country: New Zealand
Timeline

OP,

Those kinds of questions are very irrelevant to my current situation and hardly a stranger's business, but if you must know:

1. I had run out of the money I saved for my visit and needed to support myself. I don't have friends or family in a position to help anyone financially on that scale and my relationship with my family was much more distant back then. Where I come from you don't just call up your friends or family to bail you out, and I'm no trust fund baby. We work hard to get where we want to go which is exactly what I did.

2. The relationship failed after my stay had expired, after I had cancelled my return flight and after getting married. Had you read the original post you wouldn't have asked such ill-informed questions.

Timeline

I can see being nosy these are interesting questions but they have nothing to do with his situation now.

I would imagine the vast majority who overstay have worked without authorisation, maybe an issue with IRS but not USCIS.

Exactly.

Timeline

OP: seems like you got the answer already, and seems like you have some good future waiting ahead of you! :) For now just go home, work there, live there. Your wife will file for you, then you'll do the waiver, and she'll probably need a cosponsor (she has to earn 125% above poverty level), and everything will be just fine. I don't see why you would need to worry. Sorry to hear your first marriage ended up so bad. :(

Take care, and all the best!

Thanks for the encouragement and well wishes! I don't know how she'll find a co-sponsor, she's on her own in this part of the country. No friends or family around, just me and the cat until Sunday.

I really just want to know about getting a waiver to move back here as a plan B if she isn't comfortable moving to NZ after a visit or two.

Thank you all for the help, any other information would be much appreciated.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

why not get married in the states file for AOS ask for the Advance Parole so you can travel while the process??? You can go visit your family and come back to the states without any ban...... And you ask for an Employment authorization so you can also get a legal job while waiting for all the process :)

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

Timeline

why not get married in the states file for AOS ask for the Advance Parole so you can travel while the process??? You can go visit your family and come back to the states without any ban...... And you ask for an Employment authorization so you can also get a legal job while waiting for all the process :)

We are getting married while I'm still in the US, today actually. I have a non-refundable ticket for Sunday so I don't have time for that. I actually want to be back in NZ for a while because I want to save money and buy property, and permanent residence is abandoned if you're out of the country more than 6 months roughly.

Timeline

Besides, we're both pretty broke now after my birthday road trip, neither of us have a couple grand laying around to file that kind of paperwork and have it go through in two days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

While he does not need to volunteer info, he must answer truthfully.

He cannot hide his illegal work if asked.

It is very likely when they realize he was here for so long, they are going to ask him if he worked at all. I suppose I would if I was and IO

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hmmm?? I find it interesting you say that because when I once spoke to a USCIS rep he told me it isn't favorable to work and you can get into trouble. Didn't get into specifics on what type of trouble but he made it very clear they don't like it, even if it's under the table. In fact, the example he gave me was an immigrant helped someone move and got paid for it. Again, I didn't get into details about what happened, he just said it's frowned upon

We are getting married while I'm still in the US, today actually. I have a non-refundable ticket for Sunday so I don't have time for that. I actually want to be back in NZ for a while because I want to save money and buy property, and permanent residence is abandoned if you're out of the country more than 6 months roughly.

Are you not a NZ Citizen? I am not, but I did have a returning resident visa. I was away for 11 months and change and still was able to renew my Visa when I got back.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Congrats on your marriage! I hope you both had a great day. :)

I wanted to confirm that if you go the spouse visa route, your wife will most likely need a co-sponsor. As someone pointed out, she needs to earn 125% above the poverty line and she'll need to submit evidence of that in the form of payslips, tax returns, and W-2s from her employer, etc. If she doesn't earn above that or doesn't have a family member who can co-sponsor, USCIS won't accept the petition. Luckily, a non-relative can also co-sponsor so it doesn't need to be just family. But if there really isn't anyone who can do it, you'll need to wait until she is making that salary level.

05/14: We were married!!

06/04/14: Finally marriage license was recorded & we got a copy

06/05/14: AOS package mailed via Fed Ex overnight to USCIS Chicago Lockbox

06/06/14: (Day 00) Confirmation of delivery & receipt date recorded by USCIS

06/11/14: (Day 05) NOA 1 Hard copy of receipt received

06/13/14: (Day 07) Form I-797C received, Biometrics appointment scheduled for July 8

07/01/14: RFE for co-sponsor salary and tax info, which was already sent with original package. Resent a copy on 07/08/14.

07/08/14: (Day 32) Biometrics appt.

08/10/14: (Day 65) Noticed that USCIS status has changed from Initial Review to Testing & Interview!

08/21/14: (Day 76) Received EAD/AP in the mail!

09/25/14: (Day 111) Email notice with interview date set for OCT. 29!

10/29/14: (Day 145) Interview day - APPROVED!!!

09/21/16: Mailed in I-751 Removal of Conditions

10/14/16: Biometrics appointment

8/8/17: Mailed N-400 Naturalization Application

8/15/17: USCIS texted that they've received N-400

9/8/17: Scheduled for biometrics 

10/11/17: In Line to be Scheduled for N-400 Interview
6/23/18: N400 Interview (recommended for approval pending I751)

8/1/18: I751 Interview - approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.