Earthyn

Question about Poverty Guidelines and Original statements

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

So me and my fiance have started the K-1 process.

My first question is the Original statements - certifying an intent to marry within 90 days of entering the US. Can this be photocopied? Or does this need to be original?

Secondly, regarding the poverty guidlines, it states me as the foreigner, has to meet 125% of the american lowest wage?

Does this just mean that my monthly income needs to be higher than that of the american lowest wage?

Sorry if these are common questions!

Kindest Regards

The statements should be original.

The poverty level refers to the minimum amount you must make for your household size including your fiance. Here is a link:

http://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

Edited by Ian H.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The letters of intent should have original signatures.

The I-134 is filled out by the USC petitioner. They are the one that needs to meet the income requirement. You seem to be going through London though, and they are a consulate that will allow self-sponsorship. You can ask about the specifics of that London process in the UK regional forum > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/99-united-kingdom/

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I thought you were the petitioner, sorry about that. Just switch what I said and your fiance has to meet the poverty level.

Timeline

Sorry for the confusion guys,

The issue is she is at university meaning she has no real income apart from $12,000 loans.

Whereas I can support us both as my income is above the Poverty Guidelines.

Ah this is so stressful!

Thanks!

Timeline

Okay I was clearly getting very confused by this, here's what I have learnt and plan to do. Any advise or knowledge would be great on this!

So my fiance will use a Co-Sponser, her mum. I have known her mom as long as I have known my fiance which would be around 1 year and a half on the interview day. she Earns around $80,000 a year.

But my fiance is at university doing her Masters degree with only a part time job as her income and loans.

Would this cause any problems?

Thanks

The loans wouldn't count as income anyway because it's a debt. However, $80k a year is a lot and she would be fine as a joint sponsor. I have read on here that with the K1 they don't accept joint sponsors in some embassies, but I don't think the London embassy is one of them. So you would be perfectly fine with her as a joint sponsor. Someone with a K1 from the UK should clarify soon if you are ok using a joint sponsor, but you definitely should be. Good luck!

Okay I was clearly getting very confused by this, here's what I have learnt and plan to do. Any advise or knowledge would be great on this!

So my fiance will use a Co-Sponser, her mum. I have known her mom as long as I have known my fiance which would be around 1 year and a half on the interview day. she Earns around $80,000 a year.

But my fiance is at university doing her Masters degree with only a part time job as her income and loans.

Would this cause any problems?

Thanks

No problems at all. The mother fills out the I-134 and provides proof of her income. Your fiancé fills out nothing. That's the way LONDON does it.

Different rules will apply when you adjust status and need a different affidavit of support, but the above will get you through the London part.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Thanks for the help guys seriously you are all so useful!

I have one more question, does it have to be my fiances family or friends? Can it be my mom of dad that could co-sponser?

Thanks all

Thanks for the help guys seriously you are all so useful!

I have one more question, does it have to be my fiances family or friends? Can it be my mom of dad that could co-sponser?

Thanks all

The actual law on a fiancé and meeting the public charge requirement is not very detailed. It is very much a subjective decision by the interviewing officer. London tends to be pretty flexible on the matter compared to what convinces an officer at another embassy. The documentation that I have read from the Dept. of State does not say the sponsor must be living in America or American. It does say that the officer should be careful because a sponsor not in America would be less motivated to assist you financially if needed. I don't know of anybody here on VJ who has tried it in London. (The next affidavit of support for your adjustment I-864 has very strict rules and absolutely requires the joint sponsor be a Us citizen or permanent resident.)

If you have sufficient savings or assets, London will allow you to self sponsor yourself by presenting proof of your money. That isn't your salary, but cash money plus cash from selling a house, car, etc. The catch is there is no published amount. I recall around $40,000 worked for someone. If you have a combination of fiancé earning 12,000 and you have some significant savings, that might work. You just won't know until you try it and see what the officer decides.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.