kthruelsen

Fiance lost temporary SS card. Is this a prob?/Are old visas of any importance?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hey there all!

So my fiance is a Colombian woman and has been to the US before on three different visas.

They are as follows in chronological order:

1. F-1 Student Visa - For an English immersion program in Kansas - Expired the 14th of July, 2009
2. B1/B2 Tourist Visa - For a vacation to the US - Expires the 28th of July, 2015
3. J-1 Work Visa - Used to work at a YMCA Summer Camp in New Jersey - Expired the 18th of August, 2013

My question is will her having had these visas be something that I will need to annotate to the immigration services at some point? I haven't read anything suggesting that but it does not hurt to ask, especially since one of them is currently still valid.

Lastly, during her work with the YMCA she received a social security card. On question 12 of Part 2 of the I-129F, there is a box for a social security number. I am not entirely sure what to put there since it may be that her old number is now defunct since she no longer works in the US. However I am not totally sure. Additionally, she does not remember the number. If the card is still functioning, do I need to include it and if so, how do we track down what her old number was?

Many thanks again, guys!

~Kevin

P.S. The addresses in Bogota, Colombia do not have post or zip codes. Am I right to assume I can leave these boxes in the I-129F form blank?

A social security number is issued for life, so you will need to have her find it or have her visit an SSA office where they can look up her information and re-issue her a card.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Her previous and/or current visas won't have any negative effect on her petition unless she was out of status or overstayed and stuff like that in some cases, so you shouldn't be concerned.

As for the SSN, as mentioned above the number is for life. What did she do with her old SSN card, did she surrender it to the SSA or lost it? Does she have an old copy of it somewhere or on an application or W2? She should be able to be looked up with her name and DOB, but you'd be surprised how many people have the same names and DOB's lol. But she has to include that number in the petition or anywhere it asks her for it since she has one, even if she's not using it.

As for the address, yes it's fine. You can leave blank the boxes that don't apply.

Sorry, I just now looked at the title of the post. If she lost the card she can get a replacement.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks guys I appreciate the info. She had the card after her work in the US but, as with many things in life, it one day disappeared and she could not locate it.

The question now is whether she can get a new one re-issued since she wont have her EAD until she arrives in country.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Leave it blank for now, and have her apply for a new card when she arrives in the US.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

For sure? And this won't raise any red flags with the immigration people?

Welcome to the forum.

Likely a non-event for two separate HUGE government bureaucracies. If it would make you feel better about it, I suppose you could enclose a supplemental letter explaining the circumstances of the misplaced SSN, OR, you could always contact SSA and inquire about getting a replacement card: http://answers.usa.gov/system/templates/selfservice/USAGov/#!portal/1012/article/3875/Get-or-Replace-a-Social-Security-Card (Found through a simple Google search. Google can also be your friend. :yes: )

Incidentally, she likely will not have an EAD until she files for her AOS, and the EAD currently takes 1-3 months to process.

BTW, she will be asked to disclose her prior visits to the US later on at the visa application process at the interviewing US embassy/consulate. If I remember correctly, one of the DOS applications asks for that kind of information.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.