pinksquare

So confused, change name before AOS or after?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi Lesthatsri, your view is mostly same as sweet cakes', which make me feel much better and more clear. Thank you! What you've said makes sense and is very logical. And thanks for the reminder of the EAD. My opt will be cancelled once they receive my package, right? Or once I send the package out? And do you by any chance know if I can put my maiden name as a middle name on the application, just wondering~~

Thank you sooo much!

Hi again,

You can do any combination you feel like when you change to your married name.

Let me tell you what I did.

I am from South America and I have two Given names and two last names. When I got married, my hubby didn't want me to change my name to his because he believes that I should be independent and keep my name, but since I really really wanted it we came to an agreement: We made a new last name with both our names and we are changing it together. I picked my mother's last name and mixed it with his family name. So my new name is Valdivia DeMeritt. He will change his too after he is done with his current job (He works truck driving over the road so he is away for several weeks) because he doesn't feel like doing paperwork in his home time. I wasn't ready to give up on any of my given names so I didn't make my mom's last name my middle name, but I could have.

----- About your OPT status. I believe that once your application is approved you are no longer on the student category, but instead a permanent resident. But I am unsure of this. I've also read that once your application is accepted your previous status becomes invalid. :/

age.png

Matt, Juki and Janis:

05/01/2013: We met Online

06/04/2013: Matt asked me to be his girlfriend.

12/08/2013: I traveled to the U.S. under a J-1 visa to work in Maine.

12/28/2013: I traveled to Fort Wayne, IN to meet him in person for the first time.

03/17/2014: I returned to Indiana after my work time was over.

04/24/2014: We got married!!!

12/31/2015: Janis, our baby daughter, was born :D

AOS Timeline

Concurrent Filing: I-130 and I-485

06/10/2014 (Day 1) AOS package sent to Chicago Lockbox
06/17/2014 (Day 7) Received notification on text/email that package was received at 11pm.

06/19/2014 (Day 9) Fee checks were cashed.

06/20/2014 (Day 10) I-130 I-485 and EAD NOAs arrived in the mail.

06/24/2014 (Day 14) Biometrics App letter received

07/02/2014 (Day 22) Successful Biometrics Walk-in at Indianapolis ASC

08/05/2014 (Day 59) Interview Letter was mailed from USCIS. App scheduled Sept. 5th.

08/15/2014 (Day 69): Updated address with USCIS

08/18/2014 (Day 72): EAD in production state

08/23/2014 (Day 77): EAD arrived at home

09/05/2014 (Day 90): Interview day at Indianapolis. Recommended for approval afterwards!

09/05/2014 (Day 90) at 5pm: My case status updated - WE ARE APPROVED!!!!

09/09/2014 (Day 94) : GC arrived on the mail :D

I-751 Removal of Conditions

Fee waiver granted

08/19/2016 (Day 1) I-751 and I-912 packages sent to California Service Center.
09/15/2016 (Day 24) Received NOA with Fee waiver granted

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi again,

You can do any combination you feel like when you change to your married name.

Let me tell you what I did.

I am from South America and I have two Given names and two last names. When I got married, my hubby didn't want me to change my name to his because he believes that I should be independent and keep my name, but since I really really wanted it we came to an agreement: We made a new last name with both our names and we are changing it together. I picked my mother's last name and mixed it with his family name. So my new name is Valdivia DeMeritt. He will change his too after he is done with his current job (He works truck driving over the road so he is away for several weeks) because he doesn't feel like doing paperwork in his home time. I wasn't ready to give up on any of my given names so I didn't make my mom's last name my middle name, but I could have.

----- About your OPT status. I believe that once your application is approved you are no longer on the student category, but instead a permanent resident. But I am unsure of this. I've also read that once your application is accepted your previous status becomes invalid. :/

Lesthatsri,

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. Actually, I was thinking about change my first name to my english name. ( Because my husband and his family and friends all call me my english name. And my Chinese name looks crazy and so hard to pronounce...So I have been thinking about changing it so make it eaiser for me to adapt the society here). Do you think I can do that on the application? Probably not~~ I feel I bothered you for so many questions already.

Thank you for the help. I'll keep sorting out about the OPT status thing. Thank you so much :)

May Force Be With You.

Thank you for the explanation NLR! That explains the fact that I don't have my new last name on my marriage certificate hah. And yea, I expected I would have to pay more $$$ for a replacement card if I change name after the fact. $450? No, not doing that hah.

Thank you again, NLR! :)

You're welcome! :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Lesthatsri,

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. Actually, I was thinking about change my first name to my english name. ( Because my husband and his family and friends all call me my english name. And my Chinese name looks crazy and so hard to pronounce...So I have been thinking about changing it so make it eaiser for me to adapt the society here). Do you think I can do that on the application? Probably not~~ I feel I bothered you for so many questions already.

Thank you for the help. I'll keep sorting out about the OPT status thing. Thank you so much :)

Your marriage certificate is your proof for a name change. It doesn't have to state your new last name, but you can change your other documents to your new last name. You can apply now and put your new last name on your green card, that way you don't have to pay extra later. After approval you can change your SS card. One you have your green card you are not in visa anymore and you don't need the work permit because your green card is your work permit.

Good luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife and I made a terrible mistake, we should have got her SS card, as soon as she was here in USA, but we waited until after marriage, and it took months for our SS office to get her SS card, even on order.,.,.,as the I-94 and everything in the system had her maiden name.,.,.,.,.,""GET YOUR SS card ASAP! would be my advice.,.,.could be our office was inept.,.,but..,,.I would get the SS asap!

if it's not super urgent for you to depart from your original name, then just do the name change free of charge at the time of your citizenship (if you'll apply at all)...just an idea...

you would do it first at removal of conditions at 2 years. The earliest someone can become a citizen, is at 3 years. I recommend actually at 5 years so that you do not have to send in relationship evidence, again.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Lesthatsri,

Hi pinksquare

I believe you should be able to input your name in the english version if you desire. You will know once the USCIS letters start coming on that name. If they have any questions about it, they would send you a letter. Your passport will remain the same, and as far as China you name will be the same as well. You should put open a thread in the regional forum for China:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/94-china/

Maybe you will get better answers.

PS> The OP has a SS already, and she will only need to change her name once she gets her green card. Which doesn't take as long as getting a new one.

age.png

Matt, Juki and Janis:

05/01/2013: We met Online

06/04/2013: Matt asked me to be his girlfriend.

12/08/2013: I traveled to the U.S. under a J-1 visa to work in Maine.

12/28/2013: I traveled to Fort Wayne, IN to meet him in person for the first time.

03/17/2014: I returned to Indiana after my work time was over.

04/24/2014: We got married!!!

12/31/2015: Janis, our baby daughter, was born :D

AOS Timeline

Concurrent Filing: I-130 and I-485

06/10/2014 (Day 1) AOS package sent to Chicago Lockbox
06/17/2014 (Day 7) Received notification on text/email that package was received at 11pm.

06/19/2014 (Day 9) Fee checks were cashed.

06/20/2014 (Day 10) I-130 I-485 and EAD NOAs arrived in the mail.

06/24/2014 (Day 14) Biometrics App letter received

07/02/2014 (Day 22) Successful Biometrics Walk-in at Indianapolis ASC

08/05/2014 (Day 59) Interview Letter was mailed from USCIS. App scheduled Sept. 5th.

08/15/2014 (Day 69): Updated address with USCIS

08/18/2014 (Day 72): EAD in production state

08/23/2014 (Day 77): EAD arrived at home

09/05/2014 (Day 90): Interview day at Indianapolis. Recommended for approval afterwards!

09/05/2014 (Day 90) at 5pm: My case status updated - WE ARE APPROVED!!!!

09/09/2014 (Day 94) : GC arrived on the mail :D

I-751 Removal of Conditions

Fee waiver granted

08/19/2016 (Day 1) I-751 and I-912 packages sent to California Service Center.
09/15/2016 (Day 24) Received NOA with Fee waiver granted

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

My wife and I made a terrible mistake, we should have got her SS card, as soon as she was here in USA, but we waited until after marriage, and it took months for our SS office to get her SS card, even on order.,.,.,as the I-94 and everything in the system had her maiden name.,.,.,.,.,""GET YOUR SS card ASAP! would be my advice.,.,.could be our office was inept.,.,but..,,.I would get the SS asap!

They already have an SSN.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

As soon as you get married, you can start using your married name. This is regardless of whether or not your marriage certificate actually shows your married name, because some states don't show the new married name [only the maiden name] in the marriage cert. This means you can definitely use the marriage certificate as proof for a legal name change.

Also, you can fill out your AOS forms (including EAD and AP) using your married name, even if you haven't changed it yet with SSA.

For the name change on your SS card, that is a separate process. You can check with your SSA office, because some folks mentioned here that one only needs the MC for the name change. However for non-USCs, SSA will typically look for a valid immigration document showing that your new name like EAD or GC on top of the marriage cert, because they will have to check your name on the SAVE database.

The ability to change all your names based on marriage is controlled by state law. For example NY state has a law that only the last name may be changed based on marriage. In many other states tradition rather than laws prevent some from being able to move the maiden name to the middle name position. Its good to know what your state laws and traditions are, plus the experience of others in your state, or you could run into some stiff resistance when you then go on to assert your married name at some state office, such as getting your drivers license or state ID.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Your marriage certificate is your proof for a name change. It doesn't have to state your new last name, but you can change your other documents to your new last name. You can apply now and put your new last name on your green card, that way you don't have to pay extra later. After approval you can change your SS card. One you have your green card you are not in visa anymore and you don't need the work permit because your green card is your work permit.

Good luck

Thank you siliafi88! What you said makes sense and agrees with what I heard earlier. Thank you so much! :)

May Force Be With You.

Timeline

Thank you raven52 for your kindly reminder. I do have a SSN so I think I'll change it after I get a new EAD or GC.:P

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and I'll be careful with everthing.

All the best!

May Force Be With You.

Timeline

if it's not super urgent for you to depart from your original name, then just do the name change free of charge at the time of your citizenship (if you'll apply at all)...just an idea...

Thank you for your advice AntoherLostSoul! I agree with you on "doing it when it's free of charge", :P.

Thank you very much! :)

May Force Be With You.

Timeline

you would do it first at removal of conditions at 2 years. The earliest someone can become a citizen, is at 3 years. I recommend actually at 5 years so that you do not have to send in relationship evidence, again.

Thank you NLR for coming back and tell me the general time frame and the suggestion.

I think I'm going to change the name before I accumulate even more records/docs in the USA. I think it's easier for me hah

And I can wait long enough for the citizenship which i don't know if I like it yet hah.

All in all, thank you VERY much! :)

May Force Be With You.

Timeline

Hi pinksquare

I believe you should be able to input your name in the english version if you desire. You will know once the USCIS letters start coming on that name. If they have any questions about it, they would send you a letter. Your passport will remain the same, and as far as China you name will be the same as well. You should put open a thread in the regional forum for China:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/94-china/

Maybe you will get better answers.

PS> The OP has a SS already, and she will only need to change her name once she gets her green card. Which doesn't take as long as getting a new one.

Hi lesthatsri,

Thank you for the information and the link. You really helped me a lot! [flowers]

I'll see if it's too troublesome hah.

Many thanks!

May Force Be With You.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.