Counselor57

Domestic Violence in her home country

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My girlfriend is planning to visit the states at the end of next month. She doesn't know it but I'm planning to propose to her. She will then return to her home country as I start the K1 visa process. There have been some ugly turn of events recently. In her previous relationship her partner was very abusive. He has been arrested before. Recently he came and harmed her again. I would really like to get her out of that situation before he kills her. When she comes to visit and I propose, could I marry her and start the I-130 process. If she agrees, because she can't go back. Plus she has 3 children which I don't know if she would want to leave for a while. She has relatives who can care for them. I just need to get her to a safe place. I know it sounds strange. Any ideas? Help!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

My girlfriend is planning to visit the states at the end of next month. She doesn't know it but I'm planning to propose to her. She will then return to her home country as I start the K1 visa process. There have been some ugly turn of events recently. In her previous relationship her partner was very abusive. He has been arrested before. Recently he came and harmed her again. I would really like to get her out of that situation before he kills her. When she comes to visit and I propose, could I marry her and start the I-130 process. If she agrees, because she can't go back. Plus she has 3 children which I don't know if she would want to leave for a while. She has relatives who can care for them. I just need to get her to a safe place. I know it sounds strange. Any ideas? Help!!

If she visits US on a tourist visa and marries you, technically that will be a visa fraud.

But I've also seen number of threads where people did that...though I'm not sure

of their approval rate with USCIS later.

Also, most mothers have special bonding with children,

and for you to assume for her to leave 3 children under someone's care

for many months may back fire.

I know a surprise proposal could be romantic, but you are dealing with immigration

complexity here. So if I were you (but I'm not), I would probably have open conversation with her

about the marriage possibility, and go through the legal (K1 fiancee) visa route.

If she feels danger from her ex, can she not file for police protection?

10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Timeline

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it very much. She does love her children very much and they are looking forward to coming to live with me, but the question is it won't happen if something happens to her. I know that sounds harsh but truthful. She tells me it was really bad when they were together. She has filed reports on him with the police and they would only lock him up for a couple of days and release him. Actually today he came by and shot into her family's home.

My proposal will not be a complete surprise. We have talked about marriage. She has even asked me, but being the man I said I need to ask her. I do understand the complexities of the matter and our plan is to do it right. But I can't help but to be concerned for her safety. Thank you for your advice I will pray all works out and continue with the direction we started. If you or anyone think of anything else I should know, please feel free to write.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to What Visa Do I Need Forum~

~Inquiry about fiance(e)/spouse visa processes~

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Is the violent ex the father of the children?

You may need his permission to allow the kids to leave.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

If she visits US on a tourist visa and marries you, technically that will be a visa fraud.

Incorrect, marrying on a tourist visa is perfectly fine. What is fraudulent is intending to marry and then stay and adjusting status.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Getting her away from the violent ex doesn't have to mean she comes here, especially not with three kids to be protected too (and he may get custody if she is out of the country). Can you not help her move to a different place/ change her phone number?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Thanks everyone. Marrying her on a tourist visa is okay, but she would have to return to her country right? If she stays we would have to petition for the kids at the same time as her. I don't know how that would settle with immigration. We've done the best we could do as protecting her short of coming her. I just thought there would be some sort of exemption for this sort of thing.

Yes should would have to leave the country immediately if you marry under a tourist visa but it can be done. If she stays it's immigration fraud. I didn't see a response to whether the father of the children is the violent ex but that is certainly something you would need to resolve. You can attempt to have a expedite approved for the visa petition. There's no guarantee that you guys would get it but you can attempt it.

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Does she have a tourist visa?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

First things first.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

I will refrain from addressing certain parts of OP question

however will enlighten ppl about some situations

A Its not easy to get a womans child in Jamaica, there R few reasons dads could

She is a drug abuser

She is abusing the child sexually or physically (real bad) & CDA is called

She allowed the child to roam the streets and authorities are called in (rarely)

The father who is listed on the childs Bcert. is consistently supportive of the kid

school events, frequent interactions, no arrest record on him, the child enjoys being

with him & he petition family court proving all this to take the child.Culturally JA kids

are very bonded with the mother even in the 2 parents home, love dads but there's no

one like like mommy

B If he did not sign these kids Bcert. have been arrested for stalking/beating her and

does not financially support the kids in JA. he has almost no talk. If she legally leaves the

kids with her parents ,family or a guardian & he does not support them he has pretty much

no command on her decisions, So getting custody is not very likely.

She has no visa yet so all things considered is supposition

Edited by Jawaree

Timeline

Thank you all for the comments. My thoughts are I really do not want to mess this up. We decided to go the K1 way and do it right. We pray all is calm with the ex. I do not want to take her away from her children. I believe she would come, but I couldn't live with her hidden pain. I love her very much so I will wait and pray all is well. I pray the B2 is granted and we will follow the rules and do it right so there will be no backlash.

Filed: Timeline

Thank you all for the comments. My thoughts are I really do not want to mess this up. We decided to go the K1 way and do it right. We pray all is calm with the ex. I do not want to take her away from her children. I believe she would come, but I couldn't live with her hidden pain. I love her very much so I will wait and pray all is well. I pray the B2 is granted and we will follow the rules and do it right so there will be no backlash.

OP I am truly happy for U both that she got the visa & U R going

to go the K1 route after. I must commend U in doing the right thing

by the person U love, the cost may be more but budget save & plan

and god will see U thru dude...wishing all of U happiness in the future

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.