KemarW

Help with 'Part 5' of the Affidavit of Support (I-864)

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello everyone, I have been reading posts on this forum for months now, this website is a very helpful resource. :)

My stepdad has 2 cases being processed at NVC, one for me (age: 21, protected by CSPA :dancing:) and the other for my brother (17) so he is in the process of filling out 2 AOS forms (http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864.pdf) but we need some help with 'Part 5 Sponsor's Household Size'. (See image below for what we filled out so far in that part of the form).

NMdlqrh.png?1

Here's the situation:

• He is currently married to and lives with my mom in the US. That means that the current household size is 2.
  • The household size needs to equal to 4 (because there are 2 intending immigrants, me and my brother, right?) (PS my brother and I do NOT live with them in the US). It is currently equal to 3 based on the options on the form (see the image below)

Where in this section of the form should/could he indicate my brother as a member of the household? What do people normally do in this section when they have separate cases.

Please help! If you need more info or need me to clarify anything let me know.

Thanks guys. :dancing:

Edited by kirkfortune

Filed: IR-2 Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I think I found the answer for anyone who may be experiencing similar trouble ( this article seems old though):

the I-864 asks the sponsor to identify the accompanying, derivative family members. It specifies that the sponsor is not to include any family members who are being petitioned on separate I-130s. For example, if a U.S. citizen is petitioning his parents, the sponsor counts one of the parents as a household member, but not both, when completing the I-864 for that parent. He or she counts the second parent as a household member, but not the first, when completing the I-864 for that second parent.

Source: http://www.ilw.com/articles/2006,1128-wheeler.shtm

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.