frylock

Canadian w/ disability engaged to USC: options?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for replying. Re: SSDI, what you're saying runs counter to what I've seen, but it's entirely possible that I'm wrong, or missing some aspect of the whole picture. In any case, it seems like I'll have to let go of trying to adhere to a timeline. I'll take your advice and do some more reading.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10029.pdf There is the manual , as you can see her work doesn't count towards you getting benefits unless she is the one disabled. You may be think SSI http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-11051.pdf But you can't claim that for the first 5 years and you may be above the income level with a wife that works.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Who ever told you that your disability will cease from Canada when you move to the US doesn't know what they are talking about. Canada has an agreement with the US on these matters. Your Disability will NOT change. You are required to give them your new US address after you become a permanent resident and not before. I am on a disability pension, married to a US citizen, and contacted all the appropriate services to find out what to do including Revenue Canada. You are required to notify Revenue Canada as soon as possible to stop future payments of HST cheques as soon as you become a permanent resident of the USA. If not you will be required to repay all the moneys paid to you after your departure date & living in the US. Also, you disability income is used on your AOS form I-864 that will be joined with your spouse/fiances income. You are not entitled to receive disability from the US, only from Canada. Hope this helps but in future enquiries of anything government call them directly and ask so you get a straight answer. That's what they're there for.

Btw, just something to be careful of regarding long visits to the US - if you stay more than 6 months in a year (or 6 months over the past 3 years based on a formula) you have accrued "substantial presence" in the US and are considered a resident for tax purposes. There's a "closer connection to a foreign country" form that you could fill out to get out of paying taxes, but once you start filing for residency, you're no longer eligible for that exclusion.

See here:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Substantial-Presence-Test

and here:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Conditions-for-a-Closer-Connection-to-a-Foreign-Country

AOS from TN (I'm the petitioner)

05-14-14: Married!

05-22-14: (Day 00) - AOS package (I-130/I-485/I-131/I-765) overnighted to Chicago

05-23-14: (Day 01) - Package delivered and signed for by J.C.

05-30-14: (Day 08) - Email/text notifications received at 12:24am

06-05-14: (Day 14) - NOAs received in the mail

06-07-14: (Day 16) - Biometrics appointment received in the mail

06-20-14: (Day 29) - Biometrics complete as scheduled

06-26-14: (Day 35) - Received text that I-485 was moved to "Testing and Interview" stage

08-12-14: (Day 82) - EAD/AP card in production

08-20-14: (Day 90) - EAD/AP card arrived

08-27-14: (Day 97) - Received email for interview October 3rd

08-29-14: (Day 99) - NOA2 for interview received in the mail

10-03-14: (Day 134) - Interview at Federal Plaza - APPROVED! Card in Production email 20 minutes later!

10-09-14: (Day 140) - Received email that card was mailed

10-10-14: (Day 141) - Green card, Welcome to the US notice, and approval of I-130 received in the mail

ROC

08-02-16: Mailed ROC package to VSC

08-09-16: Check cashed

08-12-16: Received NOA dated 8-5

08-26-16: Received biometrics appointment for 9/8/16

07-13-17: New card is being produced!

Timeline

Your Disability will NOT change. You are required to give them your new US address after you become a permanent resident and not before. I am on a disability pension, married to a US citizen, and contacted all the appropriate services to find out what to do including Revenue Canada. You are required to notify Revenue Canada as soon as possible to stop future payments of HST cheques as soon as you become a permanent resident of the USA. If not you will be required to repay all the moneys paid to you after your departure date & living in the US. Also, you disability income is used on your AOS form I-864 that will be joined with your spouse/fiances income. You are not entitled to receive disability from the US, only from Canada.

Wow, this comes as a shock. Just wondering -- do you plan to become a US citizen, and, if so, what happens then? I thought I'd be rejected immediately if the US government suspected I would become "a charge of the state".

Edited by frylock

Timeline

Btw, just something to be careful of regarding long visits to the US - if you stay more than 6 months in a year (or 6 months over the past 3 years based on a formula) you have accrued "substantial presence" in the US and are considered a resident for tax purposes.

I was aware of this, but thanks for pointing it out, anyway. It's good to have a lot of solid information in one thread. Considering how much I feel like a fish out of water, I'm grateful for the help.

Timeline

I have no plans of becoming a citizen. Doesn't change a thing except not able to vote which doesn't bother me. Got ahusband that harps enough as a die hard republican that keeps me informed daily...lol. My sister also has never changed her citizenship but her husband became a citizen for government work purposes.

Timeline

So... just to clarify, I can get a green card and stay on ODSP after we're married?

I promise I'm not trying to get people to do my work for me . . . just the thought of doing something improperly and not being able to immigrate scares me.

Edited by frylock

Timeline

Who ever told you that your disability will cease from Canada when you move to the US doesn't know what they are talking about. Canada has an agreement with the US on these matters. Your Disability will NOT change. You are required to give them your new US address after you become a permanent resident and not before. I am on a disability pension, married to a US citizen, and contacted all the appropriate services to find out what to do including Revenue Canada. You are required to notify Revenue Canada as soon as possible to stop future payments of HST cheques as soon as you become a permanent resident of the USA. If not you will be required to repay all the moneys paid to you after your departure date & living in the US. Also, you disability income is used on your AOS form I-864 that will be joined with your spouse/fiances income. You are not entitled to receive disability from the US, only from Canada. Hope this helps but in future enquiries of anything government call them directly and ask so you get a straight answer. That's what they're there for.

This makes total sense, it would be the same for a US SSI recipient ( whether retired or disabled) where you live in the world does not impact your benefit.

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Timeline

So... just to clarify, I can get a green card and stay on ODSP after we're married?

I promise I'm not trying to get people to do my work for me . . . just the thought of doing something improperly and not being able to immigrate scares me.

I would check with ODSP so you know your options

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Timeline

This makes total sense, it would be the same for a US SSI recipient ( whether retired or disabled) where you live in the world does not impact your benefit.

Exactly - my husband and I are planning on moving to Canada when we retire - I will be able to get my SSI payments living there because it is based on my work here in the US, not where I end up living. And of course by that time, he will also have been working in the US long enough to get SSI himself.

I am not familiar with disability in Canada - however through Service Canada, if a Canadian citizen moves to the US (say to be with a family member) they can still be eligible for EI under the same conditions as if they were still in Canada. I know EI and disability are different, but I just wanted to share our experience with the Service Canada/EI and my Canadian still being able to collect money from Canada while he is here with me now.

s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

Timeline

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/services/pensions/cpp/receiving.shtml

I don't know if that information would be helpful. Definitely give them a call and I am sure they will get you all the information you need about whether you can stay on Canadian disability after moving here.

Wishing you the best!

s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not completely true, it depends if he gets federal disability or provincial. Federal you pay into and that is why you can continue to get it after you move. It's like getting your pension after you retire.

Wow, this comes as a shock. Just wondering -- do you plan to become a US citizen, and, if so, what happens then? I thought I'd be rejected immediately if the US government suspected I would become "a charge of the state".

My daughter was on ODSP when we moved she was not entitled to it. Just like if you moved from Ontario, to another province you have to re apply for disability again.

http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/social/odsp/info_sheets/what_odsp.aspx

How do I know if I’m eligible for ODSP income support?

You may be eligible for ODSP income support if you:

are 18 years of age or older

live in Ontario

are in financial need, and

are a person with a disability as defined under the ODSP Act.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Not completely true, it depends if he gets federal disability or provincial. Federal you pay into and that is why you can continue to get it after you move. It's like getting your pension after you retire.

This is more in line with what I know to be true. Sucked to get my hopes up, but it could be worse.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.