32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So we got approved (NOA2) on June 16th- I called 2 weeks later and the NVC said that our case was received and will be forwarded to the consulate in the next few days. This past week, my fiance received a letter saying that the NVC had forwarded our case tot he consulate and in the mean time the beneficiary (me) could fill out form DS-160 online... Which I did a few days ago. I'm just confused as far as what I'm waiting for at this point... I'm assuming I'm waitting to receive something from the consulate via mail? Any idea of how long that usually takes? I'm just looking to find a bit more clarification on what to expect between now and when i'll be able to schedule an interview-plus when I pay the Visa Fee? I've already read the guides and stuff... just looking for some personal experiences to give me a bit more context. Thanks.

Feb 2013- Met Online- started chatting.secret7vf.gif

March 2013- Met in person..started dating.heart.gifrose.gif

December 5th,2013- Filed 129Freading.gif

December 19th- Alien number change.dancin5hr.gif

December 20th (approx)- Received NOA1idea9dv.gif

Have since been ANXIOUSLY awaitting ANY kind of change.. or news. :clock:

NOTTA...for 6 months... Grrr (almost lost my mind) :ranting:

JUNE 16TH 2014- NOA2 APPROVED- YAYYYYYYYY :D

JULY 1ST 2014- NVC RECEIVED OUR CASE! B-)

AUGUST 5TH 2014- MEDICAL :innocent:

AUGUST 20TH 2014- INTERVIEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! :dance:

AUGUST 20th 2014- APPROVEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!! :energy:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to K1 Progress Forum~

~inquiry about case status~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe you should get packet 4! I've seen it take about 5-7 days. Then you can schedule the interview, then the medical (in that order, you need to being confirmation of the interview to the medical).

Wait hang on, did you get this? These are the packet 3 instructions, what to send to the embassy is in page 2:

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/canada/303578/montreal/Packet3-K1-MTL.pdf

Maybe this should've been moved to the Canada forum...

Edited by jfgk1987

K-1

I-129F NOA1 => NOA2: 161 days

NOA2 => Interview: 64 days

AP: 33 days

Total: 258 days

AOS

I-485 NOA => GC: 333 days

No Interview

ROC

07/30/2017: Package Sent

08/01/2017: NOA

09/07/2017: Biometrics

12/04/2018: Approved! 490 days

A Question about the packet 3 instructions you just linked to (I'm in Canada too and will be dealing with this soon)...

One of the items on the checklist is "court records"? Court records for what? And most of the stuff on the checklist doesn't apply to me (military records, marriage certificate, etc), so do I just not check those ones off? Or put "N/A"? Or what should I do?

Perhaps I am just over-thinking things.

Timeline

A Question about the packet 3 instructions you just linked to (I'm in Canada too and will be dealing with this soon)...

One of the items on the checklist is "court records"? Court records for what? And most of the stuff on the checklist doesn't apply to me (military records, marriage certificate, etc), so do I just not check those ones off? Or put "N/A"? Or what should I do?

Perhaps I am just over-thinking things.

At first I left them blank, then I put "n/a" next to everything that didn't apply. I looked here to see what others did.

K-1

AOS

No Interview

ROC

Timeline

So we got approved (NOA2) on June 16th- I called 2 weeks later and the NVC said that our case was received and will be forwarded to the consulate in the next few days. This past week, my fiance received a letter saying that the NVC had forwarded our case tot he consulate and in the mean time the beneficiary (me) could fill out form DS-160 online... Which I did a few days ago. I'm just confused as far as what I'm waiting for at this point... I'm assuming I'm waitting to receive something from the consulate via mail? Any idea of how long that usually takes? I'm just looking to find a bit more clarification on what to expect between now and when i'll be able to schedule an interview-plus when I pay the Visa Fee? I've already read the guides and stuff... just looking for some personal experiences to give me a bit more context. Thanks.

You are waiting for packet 3 and 4. You can actually start working on the stuff now. Every thing you need (instructions for compiling packet 3 and 4 etc) can be found on the Montreal consulate's website. You can download the instructions and get everything together and send it away even before you actually receive the mail notification. This guide is really helpful, although some of the forms have changed slightly. :D

I just went through the whole process as a Canadian, so if you have an specific questions, feel free to PM me. :D

AOS

August 26, 2014: NOA1

September 16, 2014: RFE for further evidence of Joint Sponsor's current income

September 24, 2014: RFE response recieved

September 24, 2014: Biometrics taken At Detroit, MI

September 25, 2014: Status changed to "Request For Evidence Response Review"

October 9, 2014: I 485 changed to "Testing and Interview"

October 9, 2014: EAD changed to "Card/Document Production"

October 9, 2014: AP changed to "Post Decision Activity"

October 18, 2014: EAD and AP arrive in the mail!

October 23, 2014: Got a Job! - My very first American job! Yay!

January 14, 2015: AOS interview

Timeline

You are waiting for packet 3 and 4. You can actually start working on the stuff now. Every thing you need (instructions for compiling packet 3 and 4 etc) can be found on the Montreal consulate's website. You can download the instructions and get everything together and send it away even before you actually receive the mail notification. This guide is really helpful, although some of the forms have changed slightly. :D

I just went through the whole process as a Canadian, so if you have an specific questions, feel free to PM me. :D

I am in the same boat - already submitted the DS-160 and am waiting.....but I have read conflicting information. I am under the impression that I can just go ahead and sent in Packet 3 as soon as I have the info (waiting on fiance to finish the I-134 and gathering supporting evidence..grrr). Is it necessary to wait for Montreal to send packet 3?

Timeline

I am in the same boat - already submitted the DS-160 and am waiting.....but I have read conflicting information. I am under the impression that I can just go ahead and sent in Packet 3 as soon as I have the info (waiting on fiance to finish the I-134 and gathering supporting evidence..grrr). Is it necessary to wait for Montreal to send packet 3?

I sent packet 3 stuff before I received anything from Montreal. :D You don't actually need the I-134 stuff until the interview.

AOS

August 26, 2014: NOA1

September 16, 2014: RFE for further evidence of Joint Sponsor's current income

September 24, 2014: RFE response recieved

September 24, 2014: Biometrics taken At Detroit, MI

September 25, 2014: Status changed to "Request For Evidence Response Review"

October 9, 2014: I 485 changed to "Testing and Interview"

October 9, 2014: EAD changed to "Card/Document Production"

October 9, 2014: AP changed to "Post Decision Activity"

October 18, 2014: EAD and AP arrive in the mail!

October 23, 2014: Got a Job! - My very first American job! Yay!

January 14, 2015: AOS interview

Timeline

Hey thanks for your help- that guide is really helpful- I'm starting to work on all these forms- a bit confused by form ds 156k- it says I need to attached my birth certificate and evidence of engagement to my fiance when sending it back?

I don't actually send my original birth cert back with this form do I..just a copy? And what is considered evidence of engagement?

Timeline

Hey thanks for your help- that guide is really helpful- I'm starting to work on all these forms- a bit confused by form ds 156k- it says I need to attached my birth certificate and evidence of engagement to my fiance when sending it back?

I don't actually send my original birth cert back with this form do I..just a copy? And what is considered evidence of engagement?

No more DS-156k...

Here's the updated Packet 3 stuff, I linked it earlier: Montreal Packet 3

K-1

AOS

No Interview

ROC

Timeline

No more DS-156k...

Here's the updated Packet 3 stuff, I linked it earlier: Montreal Packet 3

ya that is the checklist- I have that.. but that doesn't say anything about what forms you need...?

And the Montreal Consulate website still says you need DS-156k?

Packet 3 - Instruction Materials for Fiancé (K-1) Applicants

Packet 3 provides instruction materials for immigrant visa applicants once the case file has been received at the Consulate, but before an interview can be scheduled. If you have received a "Packet 3" letter from the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal, please follow the instructions below to send to the Consulate the required forms and checklist.

NOTE: You are NOT authorized to make an interview appointment at this time. All unauthorized appointments will be cancelled without notice.

If you are a Fiancé (K-1) applicant:

You may send the documents to the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal using courier services that are offered at no extra cost for the applicant. Please visit the Visa Services website and follow instructions for "IV Applicant Needing to Register for DHL" and "Sending Document to the Consular Section". If you have any further inquiries about the courier services, please visit the U.S. Visa Services website.

1. DS-230, Part I only – one copy per each applicant, including children.
  2. DS-156 – 2 copies.
  3. DS-156K (292KB PDF) – 1 copy.
  4. Confirmation receipt regarding Form DS-160 - one copy, available online at ceac.state.gov/genniv.
  5. Checklist of documents to gather for the interview – one copy per family is sufficient.
  6. 2 color photographs (Photograph Requirements)
  7. Photocopy of the biographic data page of the applicant's passport.

Timeline

ya that is the checklist- I have that.. but that doesn't say anything about what forms you need...?

And the Montreal Consulate website still says you need DS-156k?

Packet 3 - Instruction Materials for Fiancé (K-1) Applicants

Packet 3 provides instruction materials for immigrant visa applicants once the case file has been received at the Consulate, but before an interview can be scheduled. If you have received a "Packet 3" letter from the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal, please follow the instructions below to send to the Consulate the required forms and checklist.

NOTE: You are NOT authorized to make an interview appointment at this time. All unauthorized appointments will be cancelled without notice.

If you are a Fiancé (K-1) applicant:

You may send the documents to the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal using courier services that are offered at no extra cost for the applicant. Please visit the Visa Services website and follow instructions for "IV Applicant Needing to Register for DHL" and "Sending Document to the Consular Section". If you have any further inquiries about the courier services, please visit the U.S. Visa Services website.

1. DS-230, Part I only – one copy per each applicant, including children.
  2. DS-156 – 2 copies.
  3. DS-156K (292KB PDF) – 1 copy.
  4. Confirmation receipt regarding Form DS-160 - one copy, available online at ceac.state.gov/genniv.
  5. Checklist of documents to gather for the interview – one copy per family is sufficient.
  6. 2 color photographs (Photograph Requirements)
  7. Photocopy of the biographic data page of the applicant's passport.

See this topic: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/506152-ds-160-inwhats-next/

Apparently Montreal forgot to update their website!

On the form I linked it has all the info on the bottom half of page 1, the items you need to email to the consulate and where/how to send it.

So you need:

x 1 DS-160 Receipt with Barcode.

x 1 Scanned page of checklist with everything you need that applies to you checked off and signed.

x 1 Scanned copy of your bio info in your passport

And you just email that straight to the consulate.

Edited by jfgk1987

K-1

AOS

No Interview

ROC

Timeline

wow- that really simplifies things- sorry to doubt you.. I'm just having a hard time believing they have gone down from like 5 forms to just the ds-160.. especially when the site for the ds-230 is still up and running... that is so weird?!

when do we pay the visa fee then.. since we don't with the ds-160?

See this topic: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/506152-ds-160-inwhats-next/

Apparently Montreal forgot to update their website!

On the form I linked it has all the info on the bottom half of page 1, the items you need to email to the consulate and where/how to send it.

So you need:

x 1 DS-160 Receipt with Barcode.

x 1 Scanned page of checklist with everything you need that applies to you checked off and signed.

x 1 Scanned copy of your bio info in your passport

And you just email that straight to the consulate.

Ignore that stuff you pasted above and just use the checklist, looks like you may have stumbled upon an outdated page prob through a search engine. If you maneuver through the Montreal consulate website you should end up here http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/visas/visas/fianc-k-1-visas/steps.html.

The only online form you need to fill out is the DS-160, and then print out the confirmation page which has your barcode #. Save it. Ignore all those other forms (230, 156), they are not needed anymore.

Then go through the checklist and put a check beside the things you have (or are in the process of getting), and write N/A beside things that don't apply (ex: divorce certif if you have never been married). I didn't physically have my fiances I-134 in hand when I was filling out the checklist, but I checked it anyways because I knew I would have it before the interview. Sign and scan the checklist and send it back (along with DS-160 confirmation page and passport scan) via email to the consulate.

When I emailed in my packet 3 requirements I asked for packet 4 instructions to be sent to me by email, so I got the next set of info right away. Not sure if Montreal does that too, as I went through Vancouver.

Good luck lady!

Timeline

wow- that really simplifies things- sorry to doubt you.. I'm just having a hard time believing they have gone down from like 5 forms to just the ds-160.. especially when the site for the ds-230 is still up and running... that is so weird?!

when do we pay the visa fee then.. since we don't with the ds-160?

I know it can be really confusing!

Go here https://usvisa-info.com/en-CA/selfservice/ss_country_welcome

You need to register here to be able to get to the interview stage, and you can register for courier services too. You have to pay the $240 before you can see any slots.

K-1

AOS

No Interview

ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.