cornmayeat

what happens after i submit the ds 260 form?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Nepal
Timeline

hello

what really happens after i submit the ds 260 form? i read that you will get a second notification letter (2NL). Do we get this by email or mail? or do we have to log on to the ceac website to get the 2NL? What information will this second notification letter have? will it have the interview dates mentioned in it?

thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

My GF did not even get a first email/letter. It was lucky that I checked online by chance due to another friend who enquired abt the DV.

I got my GC based on an F2B which later converted to an F2A. It took close to 10yrs during which I tried applying for the DV unsuccessfully. My GF who is a first time applicant got selected for DV2015! We're keeping our fingers crossed.

hello

what really happens after i submit the ds 260 form? i read that you will get a second notification letter (2NL). Do we get this by email or mail? or do we have to log on to the ceac website to get the 2NL? What information will this second notification letter have? will it have the interview dates mentioned in it?

thanks

Your 2NL will appear on the website a few days to a week after the visa bulletin with your number as current is published. You should get an email from KCC telling you to check the website for an update. That is all the email will say; the 2NL on the website will have your interview details, and anything else relevant (eg ours had contact details for the panel doctors for the medical). So you won't hear anything from KCC until 6-7 weeks before your interview (unless you've left out something on your form).

My GF did not even get a first email/letter. It was lucky that I checked online by chance due to another friend who enquired abt the DV.

Nobody gets a first email. The instructions make it very clear that you need to check the website. If you have been selected the letter telling you that is the first letter. Please ensure you read the rest of the instructions properly to avoid unpleasant surprises...

Timeline

idk which email address i submitted when i first filled up the dv form so i guess i will just check the ESC website everyday. and finally, how much money should i have in my bank account if i dont have an affidavit of support? i was thinking 10K plus some real estate properties and i will be staying with my high school buddy when i go there for the first few weeks. I dont think i can manage to get anybody in USA to fill in Affidavit of Support for me. So will that amount be enough?

idk which email address i submitted when i first filled up the dv form so i guess i will just check the ESC website everyday. and finally, how much money should i have in my bank account if i dont have an affidavit of support? i was thinking 10K plus some real estate properties and i will be staying with my high school buddy when i go there for the first few weeks. I dont think i can manage to get anybody in USA to fill in Affidavit of Support for me. So will that amount be enough?

Why do you need to check it every day? You only need to check it after the visa bulletin with your number as current is published.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Moldova
Timeline

Why do you need to check it every day? You only need to check it after the visa bulletin with your number as current is published.

Can anyone please help me understand which number to look up in the visa bulletin in order to understand if my number is current? And what exactly is "my number"? I have submitted DS-260 form and got the confirmation page. there are 2 numbers: my case number which I use to sign it to the website and the confirmation number. Actually both of them are more of a combination of number and letters. I am from Europe, Moldova. Thank you!

Can anyone please help me understand which number to look up in the visa bulletin in order to understand if my number is current? And what exactly is "my number"? I have submitted DS-260 form and got the confirmation page. there are 2 numbers: my case number which I use to sign it to the website and the confirmation number. Actually both of them are more of a combination of number and letters. I am from Europe, Moldova. Thank you!

The letter informing you you had been selected has a case number, that is the important one (but keep your confirmation number as you will need to log into the website again to get your interview letter eventually). It will be in the form of 2015EU0...0XXXXX. that is your case number. In the bulletin, scroll down to diversity visa. When the numbers for Europe are higher than your XXXXX number then you are current. You will start looking from the bulletin published in August this year (which will be called the September bulletin), which will have advance DV notification for October, the first month of DV2015.

Timeline

The letter informing you you had been selected has a case number, that is the important one (but keep your confirmation number as you will need to log into the website again to get your interview letter eventually). It will be in the form of 2015EU0...0XXXXX. that is your case number. In the bulletin, scroll down to diversity visa. When the numbers for Europe are higher than your XXXXX number then you are current. You will start looking from the bulletin published in August this year (which will be called the September bulletin), which will have advance DV notification for October, the first month of DV2015.

Thanks a lot! Now the bulletin starts to make some sense for me. My case number is 2015EU00044XXX. Two things bother me:

1. When I checked the statistical breakdown by foreign-state chargeability of those registered for the DV-2015 program, for EUROPE, all the numbers for european countries when added sum up to exactly 40000. How is my number greater than 40000 then?

2. I looked at the previous years' bulletins. For the fiscal year 2013 the maximum number was 33000 in July and then became "CURRENT" starting from August. For 2014 JULY the cut-offs reached 36300 with an expected for August of 40150. From what you wrote above and from the trend of the previous years I can derive that I should expect my interview scheduled not earlier than the summer of 2015, if I am lucky and the cut-offs will ever become greater than 44000. Is my logic correct or am I missing something?

and by the way, when "CURRENT" appears in the chart, does it mean that they are not scheduling more interviews?

Thank you!

Timeline

hey,

my CN is 2015AS33XX and i submitted the ds260 in the beginning of june 2014. I was going through the visa bulletin for previous years and from the looks of it, i will have my interview in jan or feb 2015 (hopefully). so does this mean i will only get my 2NL or hear from the KCC only when its like november or december?

Thanks a lot! Now the bulletin starts to make some sense for me. My case number is 2015EU00044XXX. Two things bother me:

1. When I checked the statistical breakdown by foreign-state chargeability of those registered for the DV-2015 program, for EUROPE, all the numbers for european countries when added sum up to exactly 40000. How is my number greater than 40000 then?

2. I looked at the previous years' bulletins. For the fiscal year 2013 the maximum number was 33000 in July and then became "CURRENT" starting from August. For 2014 JULY the cut-offs reached 36300 with an expected for August of 40150. From what you wrote above and from the trend of the previous years I can derive that I should expect my interview scheduled not earlier than the summer of 2015, if I am lucky and the cut-offs will ever become greater than 44000. Is my logic correct or am I missing something?

and by the way, when "CURRENT" appears in the chart, does it mean that they are not scheduling more interviews?

Thank you!

(1) because there are 'holes' in the numbers ie they are not all consecutive - mainly from the ones that get disqualified after the initial draw by KCC for duplicate entries (all in all nearly 20% of entries are apparently disqualified for these reason). So they assign all a case number as they draw but then say 1 is valid, 2 is valid, 3 gets DQ, etc so no 3 in the sequence.

(2) Your logic is correct. "Current" means all numbers are valid for interview. If they are not scheduling more interviews they would leave the cutoff at the same level as the prior month.

hey,

my CN is 2015AS33XX and i submitted the ds260 in the beginning of june 2014. I was going through the visa bulletin for previous years and from the looks of it, i will have my interview in jan or feb 2015 (hopefully). so does this mean i will only get my 2NL or hear from the KCC only when its like november or december?

You will normally get your 2NL 6-8 weeks before interview. KCC will not contact you otherwise unless there is something missing from your form.

Filed: Other Timeline

You will normally get your 2NL 6-8 weeks before interview. KCC will not contact you otherwise unless there is something missing from your form.

Hai Susie, beside we get 2 NL, we might also check by ourself from a site link (I forgot what is the address) to see our interview date, right?

Timeline

(1) because there are 'holes' in the numbers ie they are not all consecutive - mainly from the ones that get disqualified after the initial draw by KCC for duplicate entries (all in all nearly 20% of entries are apparently disqualified for these reason). So they assign all a case number as they draw but then say 1 is valid, 2 is valid, 3 gets DQ, etc so no 3 in the sequence.

(2) Your logic is correct. "Current" means all numbers are valid for interview. If they are not scheduling more interviews they would leave the cutoff at the same level as the prior month.

If KCC doesn't contact me during, let's say, one month after I submitted the DS-260 form, could that mean that everything is fine with the form and I should be looking forward to the scheduling of my interview? Is it a common practice or at least appropriate to write to KCC and ask them to inform me about my status?

As I have seen in the previous bulletins, sooner or later the cut-offs become CURRENT. So can I suppose that everyone who succeded in submitting a DS-260 form will sooner or later be schedulled for the interview?

One more :) Sorry if the question appeared somewhere before on the forum - do I need to pay any fees to KCC? Is there a fee for IV application? I have seen on the CEAC website that there is a "N/A" in the IV Fee column, but can't figure it out.

Hai Susie, beside we get 2 NL, we might also check by ourself from a site link (I forgot what is the address) to see our interview date, right?

Same page you used to check if you were selected, the selection letter will be replaced with an interview letter.

If KCC doesn't contact me during, let's say, one month after I submitted the DS-260 form, could that mean that everything is fine with the form and I should be looking forward to the scheduling of my interview? Is it a common practice or at least appropriate to write to KCC and ask them to inform me about my status?

As I have seen in the previous bulletins, sooner or later the cut-offs become CURRENT. So can I suppose that everyone who succeded in submitting a DS-260 form will sooner or later be schedulled for the interview?

One more :) Sorry if the question appeared somewhere before on the forum - do I need to pay any fees to KCC? Is there a fee for IV application? I have seen on the CEAC website that there is a "N/A" in the IV Fee column, but can't figure it out.

Yes you can mail them to check that everything is fine.

Fees to be paid are (1) interview fee of $330 per person, paid at embassy before your interview - whether or not you get the visa (2) USCIS immigrant fee of $165 - to be paid online after you get your visa, before you enter. You won't get your physical green card unless this is paid.

Timeline

Yes you can mail them to check that everything is fine.

Fees to be paid are (1) interview fee of $330 per person, paid at embassy before your interview - whether or not you get the visa (2) USCIS immigrant fee of $165 - to be paid online after you get your visa, before you enter. You won't get your physical green card unless this is paid.

hmm. so we dont have to pay any amount untill the interview yeah? So there is no processing fee for the ds 260 application?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.