T&T&T

How do you get married in HCMC: how long does it take and how much does it cost?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Getting married in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. I am sure the procedures are similar but vary in other provinces.

First I would obtain a marriage application packet from the Department of Justice located at 141-143 Pasteur St., Ward 6, Dist.3, HCMC, (Cost 15,000 to 30,000 VND). You can buy the application in a small office to the right of the parking lot. They can also recommend an interpreter for your interview if you don't speak Vietnamese. On the inside cover of the packet there is a list of the documents you will need for you and your fiancée.

1. Document showing you are single and eligible to get married.

a. USC can present their passport at the US consulate to obtain an affidavit of single status. If previously married you will need an authenticated copy of a divorce decree or death certificate for each marriage. Currently the charge for notarizing the affidavit is fifty dollars. Same day service. Take the affidavit of single status to the Office of Foreign Affairs located at 6 Alexandre P Ben Nghe Q 1 HCMC. It will take 3 - 5 days for the Foreign Affairs office to stamp your affidavit. You can also use a marriage search letter from you home state, however in Ho Chi Minh City the Office of Foreign Affairs rejected my letter from the state of Kentucky. They require the affidavit of single status from the consulate because they are familiar with this form.

b. VNC can present their National ID Card and Family Book to the People's Committee in the district in which he/she lives to obtain a Martial Status letter. Divorce decrees from previous marriage/s are required. Approximate cost 20,000 VND and it can take up to two weeks or more to receive the letter. Your fiancée can obtain this document before you arrive in Vietnam which will save you time if your time is limited.

2. Identification:

a. USC can obtain certified copies of their passport from the People's Committee in district 1 located at 47 Lê Duẩn street. Same day service. They are not expensive buy several.

b. VNC can obtain certified copies of their family book and national identification card from the same location. They are not expensive buy several.

3. Mental health evaluation:

a. Both applicants can obtain their mental health evaluation at: Bệnh viện Chợ Quán 179 Bến Hàm Tử Đông - Tây 1st Ward, District 5. The cost for the evaluation is 800,000 VND for next day service or 1,200,000 VND for express same day service. You will need 4 photos of each applicant measuring 4x6cm. Don't be surprised if you are asked for "coffee money". I think 100,000 VND should do.

4. If the USC is living in HCMC you will need a letter from the police station in the district which you live showing you have registered with the police. If you do not live here and are staying in a hotel you will need to get the hotel to register you with the police and obtain a stamped copy.

Once you have your documents take them to the Department of Justice (location in item 1 above) to be submitted. (Cost 1,000,000 VND). One passport type photo of each applicant measuring 3x4 cm. will be attached to the application when submitted. When you submit the documents you will be scheduled for an interview. We had to wait 10 days before our interview.

If you do not speak Vietnamese you will be required to bring an interpreter to the interview with you. You can use one recommended or choose one on your own. Make sure the interpreter knows that the interviewer can speak English and if they do not translate for you accurately they will dismiss the interpreter and your interview will be rescheduled. I hired a travel agent for 500,000 VND.

At the interview you are proving that your relationship is bona fide. Take a timeline, photos, receipts for gifts, chat logs, copy of emails, etc. anything you think will help you prove the relationship is real. ("Coffee money" to the interviewer is recommended-- 500,000 to 1,000,000 VND should do)

If your interview is successful you will be given a date to return to pick up your marriage certificate. Be sure and order a dozen translated, certified, copies of your marriage certificate when you pick up the original. It will take 10 days but they can be delivered by mail.

All prices quoted are from a year ago, they could have changed. I hope you can use this as a guide but depending on your case times could vary. Remember the consulate is closed on American holidays and the Vietnamese offices are closed on their holidays.

I wish you happiness and good luck.....

8-16-13 Married

9-16-13 I-130 Mailed

9-20-13 NOA1

3-04-14 Transferred to CSC

3-12-14 NOA2

3-26-14 Received NVC

5-3-14 Received DS-261/AOS bill

5-3-14 Paid AOS bill

5-3-14 Submitted DS-261

5-8-14 Mailed AOS Package

5-8-14 Received IV bill

5-8-14 Paid IV bill

5-9-14 UPS documents to NVC

5-10-14 Sent DS 260

6-12-14 Case complete

9-8-14 interview---- approved

Filed: Timeline

it's sad that we still need "coffee money" even if we have all the paperwork :(

If your interview is successful you will be given a date to return to pick up your marriage certificate. Be sure and order a dozen translated, certified, copies of your marriage certificate when you pick up the original. It will take 10 days but they can be delivered by mail. <---order translated marriage certificate after picking up the original or when they approved your marriage? thanks

Edited by skyking02

Timeline

there is no requirement to pay "coffee money" in Vietnam..

skyking02, you will order the translated copies of your marriage certificate when you pick up your original certificate.

8-16-13 Married

9-16-13 I-130 Mailed

9-20-13 NOA1

3-12-14 NOA2

3-26-14 Received NVC

5-3-14 Paid AOS bill

5-3-14 Submitted DS-261

5-8-14 Received IV bill

5-8-14 Paid IV bill

5-10-14 Sent DS 260

6-12-14 Case complete

Timeline

In response to a message I received I would like to post this because it deals with marriage in Vietnam.

The Vietnamese wedding ceremony and dinner can be a wonderful and happy event. Wedding restaurants dot the landscape here almost as much as banks and pharmacies. Family homes host as many or more wedding parties as do the wedding halls. Wedding photographers with a bride and groom can seen down town, on beaches, in wooded areas or other famous landmarks any day or hour of the week. Bridal shops are everywhere. The wedding dinners at wedding restaurants can typically feed hundreds of guest. The cost of the food depends largely on the number guest, number of courses, quality of food, and the wedding restaurant rental. Entertainment from announcers, dancers, singers, laser beam shows and loud music are a few of components that will add to the overall cost. Most of these weddings have a lot of planning and preparation put into them. Money has been put away for years in some cases. They can cost into the thousands of dollars or they can also be modest with the cost under one thousand dollars. Your wedding party can be tailored to fit your budget. You do not need a marriage certificate to have the religious service and wedding dinner.

I was also asked "September is the rainy season, so we should marry in February?" The rainy season starts in May and ends in November. One reason to be cautious of getting married in February is TET or Lunar New year. In 2015 TET begins on Feb. 19th.. For the two week following it will feel like the entire country is moving. Shops, restaurants, and government offices will be closed. Airline, bus and train tickets will be harder to find and they will cost more as will hotel rooms. It is a festive time but a bad time to get anything done, make sure to allow for this.

Note: the pictures of the wedding dinner with family and friends provide a wonderful tool to help prove your bona fide relationship for the I-130 and interview.

Edited by T&T&T

8-16-13 Married

9-16-13 I-130 Mailed

9-20-13 NOA1

3-12-14 NOA2

3-26-14 Received NVC

5-3-14 Paid AOS bill

5-3-14 Submitted DS-261

5-8-14 Received IV bill

5-8-14 Paid IV bill

5-10-14 Sent DS 260

6-12-14 Case complete

• 3 weeks later...

Question for future reference because it came up in conversation elsewhere, that might be helpful to others.

Do you have the wedding ceremony BEFORE or AFTER applying for the marriage certificate at the local justice office.

you can apply for a marriage certificate before your wedding.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Vietnam
Timeline

hey i have a question when did u get marry this year i m also planning to go back to vn n get marry with my gf now.most of my friend who did got all their single status medical stuff done in vn but my gf went to a agent in vn n they say the law change like 6 month ago now u have to do all that in US before going back to vn it that True ????

hey i have a question when did u get marry this year i m also planning to go back to vn n get marry with my gf now.most of my friend who did got all their single status medical stuff done in vn but my gf went to a agent in vn n they say the law change like 6 month ago now u have to do all that in US before going back to vn it that True ????

you can do all of those things but you have to submit to the VN embassy in DC, the fee is $350. that's to my knowledge.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.