elvenshadow

DS-260 related questions

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I have a few questions about the DS-260. I am not at that phase yet but I read on the wiki that the DS-230 is very similar and it was suggested to fill out the 230 for reference in order to make the 260 easier to fill out when the time comes.

1. When listing all employment for the last 10 years, is it necessary to indicate gaps where the person was unemployed? Basically, do you have to account for the entire 10 year period even if you were not employed during part of it?

2. When listing educational institutions attended, does pre-school count? How about if you took online courses to get a degree? Finally, what if you attended a regular university but did not graduate? It asks for degree or diploma, so would you just write “none” or “withdrew” or something, or would you write what degree you were TRYING to get?

3. For people who traveled to the US in the past using ESTA, when it asks for type of visa, should you write “ESTA” or something else? Since technically ESTA is a visa waiver and not an actual visa.

4. Are there any other key pieces of information that are on the 260 that were not on the 230?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

I - 130 sent 2014-04-18

Got NOA1 2014-04-22

I-130 approved 2014-05-14

NVC received 2014-05-23

DS-261/AOS bill 2014-07-01

Submit DS-261 2014-07-01

Paid AOS 2014-07-01

Sent AOS pack 2014-07-04

IV fee invoice ???

1) yes

2) start from high school graduated onwards. If you attended you can say did not graduate I guess. Didn't have this issue

3) not sure. You only need last 5 visits though.

4) there are screenshots in the forum btw but exact addresses for any period of time from age 16 onward.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

There's also a section that asks if you belong to any professional organizations. Does that mean your current job counts or do they mean things that are outside of your job?

I - 130 sent 2014-04-18

Got NOA1 2014-04-22

NVC received 2014-05-23

Submit DS-261 2014-07-01

Paid AOS 2014-07-01

Sent AOS pack 2014-07-04

IV fee invoice ???

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Im having the same problem with my wife who studied in singapore for 6months and plus SG wont give her a police clearance since she was only a student there so i dont know what to do can somebody give me some help

You do not need a police report from a country other than your home country unless you lived there more than 12 months.

There's also a section that asks if you belong to any professional organizations. Does that mean your current job counts or do they mean things that are outside of your job?

If you actually work for a professional association, AND are a member of that organization, you would indicate you're a member. Indicate membership in any "organization". The question is not specific to professional organizations.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I am still waiting for our case number but I found this link and was able to review the actual DS-260 sample, so I want to clear up some questions in advance if possible.

http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DS-260%20Exemplar.pdf

Personal Information 2 page

When it asks for “Document ID” do we just put the passport number? It asks for the passport number at the bottom of the page so is it asking for something else? Maybe just full name?

Do fields on the DS-260 have unlimited space for number of characters? Obviously we can’t submit a continuation sheet so I am just hoping everything is able to fit properly.

If living abroad, do we want the Green Card mailed to our current address abroad or to the intended US address? (Is the physical Green Card required at point of entry into the US?)

Family Information: Spouse page

“Is your spouse immigrating to the US with you?” For this question, I am returning to the US with my spouse beneficiary at the same time, but since I am a US citizen, it isn’t technically immigrating… right? So would we put “No” here?

Previous US Travel Information

“Where you ever issued an alien number?” My wife has visited the US 3 times for just a short vacation each time. I believe she WAS issued and alien number when she came on ESTA, but I am pretty sure it was only temporary and that number is no longer available. Is it OK to just check “Don’t know”?

Since she came on ESTA, does that count as a visa type or since it is technically a visa waiver, would we just select “No” for if she has ever been issued a US visa?

When it asks for intended occupation in US, is this really important? My wife probably will not try to get a job right away because we plan to try and have a baby soon after moving back. At some point down the road, she will probably try to work at a restaurant or a store or something. Should we put “not employed” or “Homemaker” and explain this in detail or is it OK to just put “Food Services”?

For petitioner information, it asks for phone number. We do not have a home phone line. We only use mobile phones. I am the petitioner. Should I just put my mobile as both the main number and the mobile number or should I just put my mobile as the main number and click the “N/A” box for mobile even though I technically am giving my mobile number? Does this even matter?

Thank you for any answers you can provide.

I - 130 sent 2014-04-18

Got NOA1 2014-04-22

NVC received 2014-05-23

Submit DS-261 2014-07-01

Paid AOS 2014-07-01

Sent AOS pack 2014-07-04

IV fee invoice ???

I am still waiting for our case number but I found this link and was able to review the actual DS-260 sample, so I want to clear up some questions in advance if possible.

http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DS-260%20Exemplar.pdf

Personal Information 2 page

When it asks for “Document ID” do we just put the passport number? It asks for the passport number at the bottom of the page so is it asking for something else? Maybe just full name?

- Passport number

Do fields on the DS-260 have unlimited space for number of characters? Obviously we can’t submit a continuation sheet so I am just hoping everything is able to fit properly.

-I believe so, most things fit. I haven't seen anyone say they don't?

If living abroad, do we want the Green Card mailed to our current address abroad or to the intended US address? (Is the physical Green Card required at point of entry into the US?)

- intended US address. You cannot get the green card until after arrival in the USA. The visa, when endorsed at the POE, becomes a temporary green card valid for 1 year. After approval you also must pay an Immigrant Fee of $165 that is for the green card production. You can pay this either before arriving or after arriving in the USA up to 1 year.

Family Information: Spouse page

“Is your spouse immigrating to the US with you?” For this question, I am returning to the US with my spouse beneficiary at the same time, but since I am a US citizen, it isn’t technically immigrating… right? So would we put “No” here?

- A USC never immigrates to the USA, the answer is No.

“Where you ever issued an alien number?” My wife has visited the US 3 times for just a short vacation each time. I believe she WAS issued and alien number when she came on ESTA, but I am pretty sure it was only temporary and that number is no longer available. Is it OK to just check “Don’t know”?

Since she came on ESTA, does that count as a visa type or since it is technically a visa waiver, would we just select “No” for if she has ever been issued a US visa?

When it asks for intended occupation in US, is this really important? My wife probably will not try to get a job right away because we plan to try and have a baby soon after moving back. At some point down the road, she will probably try to work at a restaurant or a store or something. Should we put “not employed” or “Homemaker” and explain this in detail or is it OK to just put “Food Services”?

-this question really isn't important you can put anything and just make it simple. If she was planning on doing something that requires a certification in the USA they might notify her of that.

For petitioner information, it asks for phone number. We do not have a home phone line. We only use mobile phones. I am the petitioner. Should I just put my mobile as both the main number and the mobile number or should I just put my mobile as the main number and click the “N/A” box for mobile even though I technically am giving my mobile number? Does this even matter?

-I put my husband's mobile number as both numbers.

Thank you for any answers you can provide.

I answered the best I could in red. I'm unsure about the vWP answers.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

NLR, thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully someone else can answer the remaining questions.

I - 130 sent 2014-04-18

Got NOA1 2014-04-22

NVC received 2014-05-23

Submit DS-261 2014-07-01

Paid AOS 2014-07-01

Sent AOS pack 2014-07-04

IV fee invoice ???

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

NLR, thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully someone else can answer the remaining questions.

You asked...

Just enter all zeros or NONE.

It's the visa waiver program. She was never issued any visa.

If there are no specific work plans, just enter "To be determined". If she intends not to work enter "NONE"

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

OK, hopefully that will cover everything that I need to know once I am able to actually fill out the 260. Thanks for the help!

I - 130 sent 2014-04-18

Got NOA1 2014-04-22

NVC received 2014-05-23

Submit DS-261 2014-07-01

Paid AOS 2014-07-01

Sent AOS pack 2014-07-04

IV fee invoice ???

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.