Dawgsavvy

A real K1 experience when the USC does not live or work in the USA

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

We applied for a K1 last October. We had already went 95% of the way though the process when we decided that we do not care for the general attitude in the USA, so we will not be going.

We already paid just over $1000 USD for the whole thing, and only lacked the inerview, so we decided to proceed. We plan to marry in Canadia now, so the US embassy interview would be practice for the Canadia embassy interview.

We did not expect to get approved for the K1. But we did. She has it in her passport.

I thought I should share some things for the benifit of those who are working hard to get thier K1, IR1, or CR1.

1. The consular talked to my fiance much of the time. They only called me to the window when they reached the part where they reviewed the i134, because her accent is hard to understand.

I do not live or have a job in the USA even though I am a US citizen. I have no US income in 2013, but have not yet filed my taxes. However I did work part of a year in 2012, and earn about 30K a year though interest income. I handed over my 2012 taxes, and W2. It appears that the embassy is only interested in whatever income you pay US taxes on. Maybe I got it wrong, but they do not seem to care were it comes from, so long as it is legal and documented.

3. I was questioned three times on the subject of children. "Do you have children that you have not disclosed?", "Are you paying child support?", "Are you sure that is your final anser?". I felt interrogated, and violated. Just because I am divorced it does not mean I have children.

4. They asked a lot of questions about her son that lives in her country. She stated clearly that he is not coming with us. He is in school. I added that we do not think US public schools are a good envornment for her son. He should finish school in his own country.

5. They asked why we do not plan to stay in the USA after we marry. I showed my proof of employment. I stated that I work for a 319b company. The consular said she has seen that scenario a frew times. She gave us some tips on getting AOS and advanced parole, in a hurry, but I did not listen to that part because we do not readlly care.

6. They asked me to sit back down while they grilled her about what she did when she worked for the former Burmese communist government, what does her brother do, and what does her father do.

Item 1 was considered a stumbling block, but it really is not all that much of an issue.

Items 3, and 6 have never been mentioned on any forum so I thought they were important.

Anyway, we have her passport with the visa and the sealed envelope (not sure what to do with that now). We could still go to the USA before it expires, but we are checking in getting a Canadian tourist visa for her instead.

Good luck

Filed: Timeline

Yes

We were the first to arrive at the Embassy. We sat outside under the cover. A lot more people showed up. Our appointment was 9:45. We had arrived at 9:00, but sat there until almost 10:00 We were then told to queue up at the security shack. The guard told me I could not go in with her. I told him I read on the inernet that I could, and that she may need me to translate.

We proceeded inside, took a queue number and sat down. She was called immediately. The young man had a thick Chinese accent and was hard to understand. He told me to sit down until they started on the i134 when he needed me. That is when I was called up to the window. After that was done, and I was grilled once about undisclosed children. He told us to sit back down after about 25 min.

About an hour later the second consular called us up. She was older and had a very stern voice. I went to sit back down, but she told me to stay at the window. She went over everything a second time. She grilled me twice about any undiscolsed children. Her voice started to soften and she was sounding much nicer after the first 10 min.

She asked the questions about my the son. She gave us a 221g stating that they wanted to see her sons original birth cert. The second interview took about another 30 min. At was after 12:00 when we left.

When we arrived back at our flat, we found out that we had the borth cert misfiled (oops). We took the document and her passport to the currier at Chinatown in the basement of, Peoples park (or somthing like that). Chinatown is walking distance, so why not? About four days later they sent her an SMS telling her to pick up her passport.

I am doing the paperwork for a Canadian visa for her.

Now we are mulling over flying into Seattle, and taking a few days before driving to Vancouver. Only she can not re-enter the USA. Someone has to return the rental car.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.