19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello!

my question is about the affidavit of support. I am on social security disability. will this be accepted as income to support my fiancé? It also says that I need statements from my employer or if I am self employed . How do I proceed with this??

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I also have a question--since someone already posted a thread on the affidavit, I might as well!

I am not self-employed, I am a PhD candidate and I teach/research at my university. I make a bit more than the 125% guideline for 2 people, so I know I'll make the cut off for the k1 100% requirement and the AOS 125% one. My question is concerning what evidence to include: do I absolutely need a bank statement? I rather not. Thus far, I chose to include:

1. Tax Wage Transcripts 2013, 2012 (not a copy of the return itself, but the IRS stamped print off of my income)

2. W2s from the University 2013, 2012

3. Letter from my employer stating I did earn that much the past two years, and that I am earning the same amount this year (I won't be teaching, but I won a dissertation research fellowship that pays me the same salary---instead of teaching, I'm paid to write and conduct research. I've included the fellowship award letter in addition to the employer letter). The employer letter also states that after my fellowship year, I will be eligible to renew my teaching contract for two to three years (obviously as a graduate student I will be done with my program and on the job market for tenure-track positions and administrative positions too).

Will this suffice? Or do I really need a copy from my bank of how much money I've received the last year? And will the fact that I am on fellowship the following year (still being paid full salary) make a difference?

Thanks so much!

2/3/14 I-129F Mailed

6/16/14 Embassy Interview--Approved!!!!

7/11/14 Marriage :)

7/25/14 AOS + Work Authorization Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

7/31/14 NOA1--Electronic Notification

8/26/14 Biometrics Appointment--Indianapolis

9/18/14 EAD approved--Electronic Notification

2/15/15 Notice of Interview Waiver (and Case Delay due to heavy processing load)

5/5/15 RFE (Requested another certified copy of marriage license)

5/14/15 Submitted Materials for RFE

5/28/15 Greencard Approved/In Production!!!!!

My love is selfish. I cannot breathe without you. - Keats

What USCIS-es you only makes you stronger.....

Hello everyone I have a basic question for the affidavit of support what are the requirements for who can sponor? Do they have to be family members only or can they be non familymembers of me. Some things I read on line says it doesn't matter but I want to be sure

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The best proof is a tax transcript from the IRS since you can't tamper with that.

A 1040 is also accepted but only if you have a W-2 with it since it is too easy to get a blank 1040 form and fill in your own numbers.

And a letter froim your employer stating how long you worked there and your weekly/annual pay is helpful.

Edited by Al422

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hello everyone I have a basic question for the affidavit of support what are the requirements for who can sponor? Do they have to be family members only or can they be non familymembers of me. Some things I read on line says it doesn't matter but I want to be sure

any US citizen or LPR can be a co-sponsor. some consulates will more readily accept a joint sponsor who is closely related than one who is not. you will have to look up your consulate requirements to see how lenient they are with co-sponsors.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

any US citizen or LPR can be a co-sponsor. some consulates will more readily accept a joint sponsor who is closely related than one who is not. you will have to look up your consulate requirements to see how lenient they are with co-sponsors.

Hello Kitthekat, Thank you very much for your response. My fiancées sister and her sisters husband will be helping to sponsor her. At first I wasn't sure if they could do it being they are not my family but thanks for clearing that up.

Edited by TonySinidu

Timeline

I also have a question--since someone already posted a thread on the affidavit, I might as well!

I am not self-employed, I am a PhD candidate and I teach/research at my university. I make a bit more than the 125% guideline for 2 people, so I know I'll make the cut off for the k1 100% requirement and the AOS 125% one. My question is concerning what evidence to include: do I absolutely need a bank statement? I rather not. Thus far, I chose to include:

1. Tax Wage Transcripts 2013, 2012 (not a copy of the return itself, but the IRS stamped print off of my income)

2. W2s from the University 2013, 2012

3. Letter from my employer stating I did earn that much the past two years, and that I am earning the same amount this year (I won't be teaching, but I won a dissertation research fellowship that pays me the same salary---instead of teaching, I'm paid to write and conduct research. I've included the fellowship award letter in addition to the employer letter). The employer letter also states that after my fellowship year, I will be eligible to renew my teaching contract for two to three years (obviously as a graduate student I will be done with my program and on the job market for tenure-track positions and administrative positions too).

Will this suffice? Or do I really need a copy from my bank of how much money I've received the last year? And will the fact that I am on fellowship the following year (still being paid full salary) make a difference?

Thanks so much!

What you have is fine. From the K1 guide for London: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/?p=6741198

London will accept any proof on an I-134 that clearly shows income. Some ways besides a tax return/transcript are employer letter, pay stubs, pension letter, or banks statements showing direct deposits. Pick two. You don’t need to prove income five different ways. If you have a new job or earn more income since your tax return, then an employer letter and recent pay stubs are a better choice than a weak tax return. This one has to be sent the old-fashioned way with a “wet” signature on it. Copies of the form aren't accepted, but your proof of income can be scans or photocopies.

Timeline

Hello!

my question is about the affidavit of support. I am on social security disability. will this be accepted as income to support my fiancé? It also says that I need statements from my employer or if I am self employed . How do I proceed with this??

yes, you can use your disability as income for the affidavit of support but you will need to include documentation that shows how much you receive. if it is below 125% of the poverty guidelines (link), then you will need a co-sponsor.

Timeline

Hello Kitthekat, Thank you very much for your response. My fiancées sister and her sisters husband will be helping to sponsor her. At first I wasn't sure if they could do it being they are not my family but thanks for clearing that up.

the I-134 only allows for one co-sponsor per intending immigrant. so either your fiance's sister or her sister's husband will submit the form. their income has to qualify for their household size (the co-sponsor, their spouse, any minor child, anyone they claim on their taxes, and the intending immigrant). you will also have to submit an I-134 as her primary sponsor, even if your income does not qualify on its own.

the I-134 only allows for one co-sponsor per intending immigrant. so either your fiance's sister or her sister's husband will submit the form. their income has to qualify for their household size (the co-sponsor, their spouse, any minor child, anyone they claim on their taxes, and the intending immigrant). you will also have to submit an I-134 as her primary sponsor, even if your income does not qualify on its own.

Ok that's what I thought thank you very much for helping me with this. I really appreciate it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I just wanted to say that Kit did a great job fielding the several different questions in this one thread. :thumbs:

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

I just wanted to say that Kit did a great job fielding the several different questions in this one thread. :thumbs:

aw that is high praise coming from the affidavit of support guru. thanks, kay.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hey guys , our interview is coming soon . We hope that you guys can give us some advises

No one has agree to be our co sponsor but I have a job offer in the Us plus my last year foreigner income was greater than the porverty limit. My new job is also my old job few years ago. Plus , an employment letter from the new job. Is that help? We are both young and well educated .

Thanks guys

I129F sent : 20/12/2013

I129f received: 26/1/2013

NOA1 notification: 01/01/2014 heart.gifheart.gif

Alien registration number changed :03/01/2014

NOA2 notification: 04/02/2014

Case number: 14/02/2014heart.gifheart.gif

Embassy recieved: 19/02/2014

Fee paid: 26/02/2014

P3 recieved: 03/03/2014

P3 sent: 04/03/2014

Interview day : 07/05/2014goofy.gifgoofy.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

yes, you can use your disability as income for the affidavit of support but you will need to include documentation that shows how much you receive. if it is below 125% of the poverty guidelines (link), then you will need a co-sponsor.

It says sponsors household size. its only me . Do I include the beneficiary in this? Thank you for responding :)

Timeline

It says sponsors household size. its only me . Do I include the beneficiary in this? Thank you for responding :)

yes, the minimum household size is 2 (the sponsor and the beneficiary). if you have any minor children or people you claim on your taxes, regardless of where they live, that will count towards your household size as well. if you don't have any of those, then it will just be 2.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.