jcruzazucar

Birth Certificates/Original/Police Certificates/Address Change for Beneficiary

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Our I-130 Petition is currently pending at the Nebraska Service Center. I am trying to get some of the docs that I will need for the NVC/Consulate stage lined up beforehand and have a few questions.

(1) I see that a "long" birth certificate for the petitioner and beneficiary is required. I assume this may be the one that has both parents on it and is not an abstract right?

(2) Original or certified copy ok for long birth certificate. (I have my original birth certificate from approx. 30 years ago). Do I need to get a certified copy as well just in case this one is too old? May sound dumb considering they say "original" is ok but I still have my doubts. I don't want anything to get in the way of an approved visa (optimistically speaking)!

(3) Police reports. In Tijuana, MX, I have been told that they are processed same day and others say it takes weeks/months to obtain. Does anyone know how long they are good for (according to the consulate)? I want to see if I can order now and have them before I-130 is approved (wishful thinking!).

(4) Address change for beneficiary. My husband is moving to another home that we have rented jointly but I have no clue where to change that address with USCIS. Does it affect him if I change? Don't change? Per the notes I have read, he is going to receive a package from the NVC if the I-130 is approved and I don't want him to miss it b/c he moved from residence. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

:wub: God's timing is always perfect. . . :star:"Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!" (Luke 1:45) ^_^

I-130 Petition (Spouse): 2/20/14: NOA1; 8/18/14: NOA2

NVC Process (IR1)
09/17/14: Case received / Case # and IIN assigned
09/18/14: Submitted DS-261
10/08/14: Received Welcome email
10/10/14: Paid AOS bill
10/16/14: Paid IV bill
10/18/14: Completed DS-260
10/21/14: AOS & IV received / scan date
12/15/14: Case Complete (N/A then phone confirmation)
02/18/15: Biometrics Appt.
02/25/15: Consular Interview (APPROVED!!)
03/05/15: POE at San Ysidro Port of Entry (by car)

For BC, you cannot use the copy, just original or certified copy from where it issued

Edited by anly8872

USCIS------------------

May 16, 2013: NOA1

Dec 12, 2013: Transfer notice (Nebraska SC)

Dec 16, 2013: NSC Received(Last Update Date)

Mar 3, 2014:(call to talk to Tier 2)service request created

Mar 12, 2014 : Received email from NSC, case pending under background check clearance

Mar 27, 2014 : Name updated relating to I-130(I never change my name)

Mar 28, 2014 : NOA2(Text/email)

Mar 31, 2014 : NOA2 Hard copy received

April 1, 2014 : Case shipped to NVC

NVC------------------

April 11, 2014 : Case received

May 3, 2014 : Got Case number/IIN

May 8, 2014 : DS-261 Completed

May 9, 2014 : AOS Invoiced and paid

May 12, 2014 : AOS status "PAID"

May 13, 2014 : AOS Package sent via UPS

May 16, 2014 : AOS Package received by NVC

May 20, 2014 : AOS Package scanned into the system

June 6, 2014 : IV Fee Invoiced and pay

June 9, 2014 : IV Package sent via UPS

June 10, 2014 : DS-260 Completed and Submitted

June 12, 2014 : IV Package received by NVC

June 16, 2014 : IV Package scanned into the system

June 19, 2014 : AOS Approved

July 29, 2014 : Case Complete

September 30, 2014 : Interview at 8AM

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi everyone,

Our I-130 Petition is currently pending at the Nebraska Service Center. I am trying to get some of the docs that I will need for the NVC/Consulate stage lined up beforehand and have a few questions.

(1) I see that a "long" birth certificate for the petitioner and beneficiary is required. I assume this may be the one that has both parents on it and is not an abstract right?

(2) Original or certified copy ok for long birth certificate. (I have my original birth certificate from approx. 30 years ago). Do I need to get a certified copy as well just in case this one is too old? May sound dumb considering they say "original" is ok but I still have my doubts. I don't want anything to get in the way of an approved visa (optimistically speaking)!

(3) Police reports. In Tijuana, MX, I have been told that they are processed same day and others say it takes weeks/months to obtain. Does anyone know how long they are good for (according to the consulate)? I want to see if I can order now and have them before I-130 is approved (wishful thinking!).

(4) Address change for beneficiary. My husband is moving to another home that we have rented jointly but I have no clue where to change that address with USCIS. Does it affect him if I change? Don't change? Per the notes I have read, he is going to receive a package from the NVC if the I-130 is approved and I don't want him to miss it b/c he moved from residence. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

I-130 Petition is a general petition for imediate relative. Could you please reply with what are your immigration goals, I mean what visa are you trying to seek, ex. K1 Fiance Visa or Marriage Based Visa? And also whre are you guys right now, over seas or what. Who is the Petitioner or yourself?

Regardless of which visa your applying for the U.S. Citizen/Permanent Resident the person that is petitioning, should have a permanent residential/mailing address at the time of the immigration process. I am not a lawyer, but I am a consultant, however, it is advisable and more sensible to first change your address and move where ever you want and than start your visa journey. Because once the immigration application starts, you do not want to be bothered with change of address and contact numbers it just creates more suspense, time consuming and it also creates more anxiety and paper work. So I would recomend that you change your address first and than embark on the journey.

Now down to your next concern, birth certificates, all documents that are required should be original or copy of original, and if its to old or in another langugage make sure it is translated and attested recently. It is best and advisable to have all attested documentation attested recently like a 90 days old. The more recently its attested the more justifiable it is. NOW ONE MISTAKE MOST COUPLES MAKE: Is, that they send the original documentations which the government will never return to you. That is why you should always send them a copy of the required documents and or attested, but in the near future when you do have to submit original documentation, REMEBER TO SEND THEM A COPY OF EACH ORIGINAL DOCUMENT AS WELL. This way they will retun your original and keep the copy for their records. To be specific to your question, Attach both, the copy of the original birth certificate and an attested/translated one.

Police Report? Do you mean a certificate from your local police department? I am not aware of how long will it take to get one this you have to check on your own, but a recently issued certificate is good for a consulate. Like i stated above any document that is attested or new, should be at RECENT, I tell my clients to make sure it's 90 days old or less. But the consulate portion of the petition you do not need to worry about now, unless this is required for your immigration case.

Your first question is unclear to me, what do you mean by "long" birth certificate. Birth certificate is a birth certificate that was created when you were born. Every country functions differently and the name of both parents should be most likely present on the birth certificate.

If you have any additional questions, don't hesiatte to ask...

Ahsan Verma, Inc.

Immigration Legal Assistant

Since, you guys have already submited the application, its best to stay at current address if at all possible or work with the current landlord to keep your mails at the current location. Or you can request a change of address, so you won't lose your mail.

Timeline

Since, you guys have already submited the application, its best to stay at current address if at all possible or work with the current landlord to keep your mails at the current location. Or you can request a change of address, so you won't lose your mail.

Thank you for the info! Unfortunately, he cannot stay at the house we are renting because the owner has sold it to someone else. My U.S. address will remain the same but his Mexican address is the one that is changing.

What I mean by "long" birth certificate is that in the IR1 Guide it states to provide the long birth certificate, which I can only assume has all necessary info on it versus an abstract birth certificate which is smaller with less information. Either way, Mexico only provides one type of birth certificate so no more issues there.

Thank you!!

:wub: God's timing is always perfect. . . :star:"Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!" (Luke 1:45) ^_^

NVC Process (IR1)

Thank you for the info! Unfortunately, he cannot stay at the house we are renting because the owner has sold it to someone else. My U.S. address will remain the same but his Mexican address is the one that is changing.

What I mean by "long" birth certificate is that in the IR1 Guide it states to provide the long birth certificate, which I can only assume has all necessary info on it versus an abstract birth certificate which is smaller with less information. Either way, Mexico only provides one type of birth certificate so no more issues there.

Thank you!!

Hello, I see...

Could you please provide me the section that states the LONG birth certificate on the IR1 Guide. Please provide a link for me to review. Just curious to see what its all about. But yes, whatever Birth certifficate that is issued by the local government authority, that is what you will send.

As for your address, Since you are in the USA at a permanent address for the time being, it is safe to say that you should act as an agent to receive all the mails on your fiance/husband behalf.

If I remember correctly, DS 3032 is what you need. But could you please let me know:

A. Are you working with an attorney or

B. is the Alien (your partner) filed I-130 by himself or did you do it,

C. A child is being adopted

Reason I am asking this is because FORM DS-3032 - Choice of Address and Agent for Immigration Visa Applicants is what you and your partner needs.

If you are working with an attornery/lawyer the USCIS will send you G-28. If you are on your own than at some they will send you this form to find out whom will receive the paper work for visa/interview: A. Your Partner, B. The Petitioner, or C. an Agent which can be anyone that you chose.

Kindly, let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.

Ahsan Verma, Inc.

Immigration Legal Assistant

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
If I remember correctly, DS 3032 is what you need. But could you please let me know:

A. Are you working with an attorney or

B. is the Alien (your partner) filed I-130 by himself or did you do it,

C. A child is being adopted

Reason I am asking this is because FORM DS-3032 - Choice of Address and Agent for Immigration Visa Applicants is what you and your partner needs.

DS-3032 is no longer used. It has been replaced by the online DS-261.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Are you sure?

DS-3032 is still active on the Government website and it was updated in 2013

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/80023.pdf

However, your form DS 230 was last updated in 2012...

Please double check and let us know...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Are you sure?

DS-3032 is still active on the Government website and it was updated in 2013

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/80023.pdf

However, your form DS 230 was last updated in 2012...

Please double check and let us know...

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/forms.html

This website shows forms to be active. and DS 3032 is still active.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/news/Department-of-State-transitions-to-online-immigrant-visa-application.html

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Thank You for the reference of the link.

Starting September 1, 2013, all immigrant visa applicants will apply online using Form DS-260 (Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration).

Applicants will also choose their agent online using Form DS-261 (Choice of Address and Agent). Applicants will access both forms on the web at ceac.state.gov.

So according t thi the correct new form is Form DS-261 (Choice of Address and Agent), similar to the DS 3032. No problem.

Thanks for the pointing out.

Let me know if there is any other questions.

Timeline

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Mexico doesnt require a Mexican police cert unless he has been arrested in Mexico while he has been there. as for the birth certificates, my husband just went to the registro civil, civil registry where he was born and got what is basically a certified copy there, and i the us citizen just took a certified copy also. you need to use his correct address in Mexico dont put that he is living in the US when he is not, that can complicate things, with NVC, each country is a little different on requirements, etc but with Mexico at the NVC stage, they do everything via email with you and your spouse. you scan in and send the documents they request and then just take the originals/certified copies to the interview. as far as the address change form, not sure what form no. it is but they are on the USCIS page to download and send in. I dont know how to paste links of other threads on this site, but look for the NVC filer threads here, they have tons of information and others that are at the same stage as you and how to guides, it makes it so much more easy to understand. good luck.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hola jcruzazucar :)

I did an IR-2 for my stepdaughter in Mexico and while my app was different than yours, much of the supporting info they are asking you to provide is the same.

In regards to the long birth certificate- this can be a little confusing. They are looking for a certified copy of the original, issued by the state where the app/petitioner was born. Some locations, especially in Mexico, have the 2 versions of your birth certificate. The first is the paper version which we are most familiar with (acta de nacimiento) and then there's the little card you can get which has all your info on it (clava curp i think it's called), including the book and page where the record is saved (liber folio). I too had my original birth certificate and was surprised to find out i still had to purchase a certified copy of my birth certificate (the raised seal that they place on the certificate is what makes it official). Vitalcheck was a great resource for that

So in answer to your first 2 questions - 1. yes, you have to have the original form which has both parents. Immigration usually doesn't accept it if it doesn't (from what I learned through my experience and reading - can't remember or i would link it). And yes, you still need to purchase the certified copy as your original would not be accepted. And i was as dumbfounded as you are when i learned that in my process as well :)

2. My stepdaughter lived in the Yucatan Peninsula. She was able to acquire her police certificate on the same day as well. While there is no expiration date on the letter, I was advised by our attorney that the date of the letter was to be no more than 6 months old just to play it safe. So 6 months out from the day you maily in your IV package

3. Address change - there is a change of address/form agent that immigration also has that i filled out. I would scan it but i found a link online which explains what you need to do a bit better, so I've linked it below. To be honest, changing address (for me at least) wasn't that much of an issue. I had to do that for my stepdaughter as well, and it caused no problems at all. We changed it early on the process, much where you're at so it shouldn't be an issue. Only thing i would do is to follow up with USCIS after you've changed it to ensure they have their records straight.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/F2en.pdf

Let me know if you need further help.

Edited by matthewmaria

Timeline

Mexico doesnt require a Mexican police cert unless he has been arrested in Mexico while he has been there. as for the birth certificates, my husband just went to the registro civil, civil registry where he was born and got what is basically a certified copy there, and i the us citizen just took a certified copy also. you need to use his correct address in Mexico dont put that he is living in the US when he is not, that can complicate things, with NVC, each country is a little different on requirements, etc but with Mexico at the NVC stage, they do everything via email with you and your spouse. you scan in and send the documents they request and then just take the originals/certified copies to the interview. as far as the address change form, not sure what form no. it is but they are on the USCIS page to download and send in. I dont know how to paste links of other threads on this site, but look for the NVC filer threads here, they have tons of information and others that are at the same stage as you and how to guides, it makes it so much more easy to understand. good luck.

Thank you!

Hola jcruzazucar :)

I did an IR-2 for my stepdaughter in Mexico and while my app was different than yours, much of the supporting info they are asking you to provide is the same.

In regards to the long birth certificate- this can be a little confusing. They are looking for a certified copy of the original, issued by the state where the app/petitioner was born. Some locations, especially in Mexico, have the 2 versions of your birth certificate. The first is the paper version which we are most familiar with (acta de nacimiento) and then there's the little card you can get which has all your info on it (clava curp i think it's called), including the book and page where the record is saved (liber folio). I too had my original birth certificate and was surprised to find out i still had to purchase a certified copy of my birth certificate (the raised seal that they place on the certificate is what makes it official). Vitalcheck was a great resource for that

So in answer to your first 2 questions - 1. yes, you have to have the original form which has both parents. Immigration usually doesn't accept it if it doesn't (from what I learned through my experience and reading - can't remember or i would link it). And yes, you still need to purchase the certified copy as your original would not be accepted. And i was as dumbfounded as you are when i learned that in my process as well :)

2. My stepdaughter lived in the Yucatan Peninsula. She was able to acquire her police certificate on the same day as well. While there is no expiration date on the letter, I was advised by our attorney that the date of the letter was to be no more than 6 months old just to play it safe. So 6 months out from the day you maily in your IV package

3. Address change - there is a change of address/form agent that immigration also has that i filled out. I would scan it but i found a link online which explains what you need to do a bit better, so I've linked it below. To be honest, changing address (for me at least) wasn't that much of an issue. I had to do that for my stepdaughter as well, and it caused no problems at all. We changed it early on the process, much where you're at so it shouldn't be an issue. Only thing i would do is to follow up with USCIS after you've changed it to ensure they have their records straight.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/F2en.pdf

Let me know if you need further help.

Thank you! Good info...

NVC Process (IR1)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.