mikeolga2012

Social Security Screw Up Has Cost Us Dearly

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kazakhstan
Timeline

Readers Beware: In February 2013 my now wife came to America on a K-1 Visa. We applied for here Social Security card within a week of her arrival but were advised by the person filing our paperwork that Olga needed to be "in country" 10-days before we could apply. Since it was only a few days away he said he would file them on Monday for us and we should hear something within 6-8 weeks. WHAT A MISTAKE IN TRUSTING THIS IDIOT! He did not file Olga's papers and after we didnt hear anything and went back to the Florence, KY office did we realize that no papers were ever filed. We lost 8 weeks! So when we finally did get her approved we were advised that Olga's SSN would not be granted since she was within 15-days of her K-1 expiring!!!! INSANE!

I have been fighting with these morons for a year now. Since Olga cannot work, we cannot afford the $2,000+ for her and the kids to get their paperwork processed. In that time frame since she cannot work and I have picked up a second job, I have had to file bankruptcy, and am being foreclosed on. I did not get help from Cong. Massie's office nor Sen. McConnell's and the Social Security Admin and USDHS weren't willing to fix things for us. No wonder our government is so screwed up, we had lazy, ignorant workers like the one we met at the Florence, KY Social Security Admin. office.

The sad thing is my wife asked me after all of this went down a year ago, "Your government is just like the Kazakhstan government". WOW! I wish you all better luck in dealing with the SSA!

Unfortunately, poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency for other people. Yes the SSA screwed up, but if your wife's SSN had been issued she would still be unable to work without an EAD, which won't appear until she files for AoS.

I sympathise with your situation, but much of it seems to be of your own making, from the information you have provided.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

What does the SSN have to do with you not having the money to file AOS? An SSN is not required for that.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Our dealings with the SSA were very professional and prompt. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, but the guy was right that sometimes it takes a little while for the SAVE database to update, etc.

Why had you not saved up the money for adjusting status prior to her arrival? She wouldn't have been able to work until after you filed it and received the EAD anyway.

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

You know, we have a guide on getting SSA for K-1 on here. You've been a member for a year at that time and didn't bother to research what's needed to get them a SSN soon after arrival?

In a YEAR you couldn't get AOS filed? Definite poor planning on your side - should've had money put aside even BEFORE they came to the US. Totally your fault for not getting everything set up for the fiancee and her kids. And they're now out of status and could be picked up.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

you should have had the fee to file AOS long before she entered the country. A social security number doesn't give her authorization to work without EAD. This is your fault, and you fault alone. Why is it someone else's fault that you didn't plan accordingly? A member for a year and you never read the guides?

Edited by mimolicious

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

We had nothing but great service from our SSN office her all the way to the Citizenship swap over.. They even stayed late to allow us to get processed even after their office hours had come... Which was a pleasant experience for us since we were dealing with a govt employee.. Great attitude and very efficient every time I have had to deal with them... Seems like a miss communication or follow-up on your part... I never walk away without knowing we have what we came for... Like others said, you needed more than the SSN number to go forward.... Sorry for your situation, but sounds like you weren't is a financial position to take on what was required... I hope things workout for you guys going forward!!!!

Edited by churawan

As the others have said, your wife wouldn't have been able to work with just a SSN, prior to getting married, you have to get married and change her status and apply for an EAD. Absolutely no point in blaming the SSA for this situation.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 process to SSN forum~

~Commentary about that phase of visa process, past K-1~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.