Jimmy17

Hi! Married to my Cousin, Cousing Marriage Law in US - Need Guidance

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi! Last month i got married to my female cousin who is few years younger than me, American National but studying in some other country. So it means that she is not working anywhere and cannot sponsor me. So I am going through other process via which US embassy is going to call us and ask question from us. But the problem is I have recently heard (not sure whether it is a rumor or reality) that there are only 3 states left which allows cousin marriage, every other State has banned cousin marriage just 3 of the states "New York", "Los Angeles" and one other hasn't banned yet and there are strong chances that they will ban cousin marriage too! I would like to know is that true or not? Can someone give me the most updated list of which states allow cousin marriage please? Over the internet i have only found lists that are many months or years old, so this thing makes them unreliable. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Best Regards.

Jimmy!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Los Angeles isn't a state, it's a city in California.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage_law_in_the_United_States_by_state

Of course, Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source, but why not just search for those laws in the state where you intend to live?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Just Google "states that recognize cousin marriage". I did and this popped up.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-services/state-laws-regarding-marriages-between-first-cousi.aspx

http://www.cousincouples.com/?page=states

Edited by Married4Life13

Married 11/08/2013

USCIS

01/25/14- Mailed I-130 form

01/31/14- NOA1

02/05/14- Check Cashed

05/29/14- NOA2

NVC

06/04/14- NVC Received

06/24/14- Case Number Assigned

07/01/14- Requested NVC expedite

07/09/14- DS-261 available and completed

07/16/14- AOS paid

07/17/14- Expedite approved

09/08/14- Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi! Last month i got married to my female cousin who is few years younger than me, American National but studying in some other country. So it means that she is not working anywhere and cannot sponsor me. So I am going through other process via which US embassy is going to call us and ask question from us. But the problem is I have recently heard (not sure whether it is a rumor or reality) that there are only 3 states left which allows cousin marriage, every other State has banned cousin marriage just 3 of the states "New York", "Los Angeles" and one other hasn't banned yet and there are strong chances that they will ban cousin marriage too! I would like to know is that true or not? Can someone give me the most updated list of which states allow cousin marriage please? Over the internet i have only found lists that are many months or years old, so this thing makes them unreliable. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Best Regards.

Jimmy!

Hi Jimmy,

Congrats on your marriage! I had an Iraqi co-worker that went through this same situation. He was a US citizen and married his first cousin back in Iraq. Other than the usual struggles they had with immigration, there was no issue on his being married to his cousin because the marriage was legal in Iraq. I think they were possibly looked at a little bit closer because he did marry a relative and they wanted to make sure it was a real marriage, but there wasn't anything stopping them because they were cousins. If they weren't already married it would have been much different as they would have had to find a state in the US that allows 1st cousin marriages. This all took place about 3-4 years ago so I don't know if they laws have changed. But I know it wasn't an issue then. Also, he was living in AZ that allows 1st cousin marriages under 'certain circumstances'. I don't know if he would have had issues if he was living in a state like Nevada that doesn't allow it at all or if it still would have been okay since the marriage was legal in Iraq.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to General Immigration-Related Discussion Forum~

~Inquiry not fiancee visa-related~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

She has to be residing in the US to,petition for you, she can't be living in another country and bring you here unless she is living here herself, a cr1 is to reunite families in the US, not in a country abroad. Unless she will be living in the US BEFORE the visa interview at the consulate, the visa will be denied. Since she has no income she will need a joint sponsor, a US citizen or LPR who also lives I the US and meets the income requirements. Because it's a cousin marriage you will be under increased scrutiny, they will want to make sure you have a real marriage and didn't get married just as a way for her to gat a family member to the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.