Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

I owe IRS back taxes, my wife does not, will this affect her N-400 application

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Dear Visa Journey Community,

This is actually the first time I have posted a question.

Let me start by stating how grateful we are for this resource. It has helped us through the entire process of bringing my wife here on K-1 visa, AOS, Greencard etc. Well we are ready to apply for her citizenship now.

Basically the short story is, I owe back taxes for years 2006, 2009 and am in a IRS approved payment agreement with them. My wife came here in 2010 and we starting filing joint since then.. I was unemployed due to a layoff until the start of 2011 so we actually did also owe on that year(2010) until I paid it off in full recently. So basically we own nothing(zero) to the IRS for all the years she has been here in the US 2010,2011,2012 and 2013(just filed).

One concern is that at the time of our installment agreement was made with the IRS both our names appeared on it, since it was for tax years 2006,2009 and 2010. Not sure if that would cause any problems?

I believe I can answer "NO" to the question on the N-400 regarding owing money to the IRS since the question pertains to only her. I just want to confirm this is the case.

Hoping someone more knowledgeable than myself can help me confirm.

Best Regards

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be so sure. If both your names are on the installment agreement, both of you are responsible individually for the amount owed. So, technically, she owes taxes. Since you have an installment agreement, that will not be an issue as long you are current with your payments.

Edited by The Postmaster

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.