Darrin0892

Manila, Philippines - Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marriage & Affidavit Certificate of Legal Capcatiy to Marriage

5 posts in this topic

Hi, im a US citizen traveling to the Philippines to marry my fiancé. For the most part I feel like im on the right track. I made a appointment to get the interview or what not, to receive the "Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marriage". I here it takes no more than a hour of receive the paper. My main worry right now however, is that im only staying in the Philippines for 3 weeks. I also need to get the "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage". So here are my questions. Can I setup an appointment to get the "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" the day after I get the "Certficate of Legal Capacity to Marriage"? or will I be able to get both in just that one appointment? I have 3 weeks, to spend with her, and for us to get married within that. we both discussed getting a civil wedding is best at the moment. Also, once I get that does that mean I can get married to her? or do I still need to get a marriage license? does she need a marriage license? if so, how long does it generally take to get a marriage license? I just want to know if all this is possible in the time of 3 weeks, if anyone who has been through this, please help me with any steps or information or documents you know I will need, I will be very grateful and much appreciated. there is a lot of questions I have, if possible, I would like to contact by email, just so its easier.

Edited by Darrin0892

Before you arrive here, ask your your fiance to get her civil docs from NSO (birth certificate, CENOMAR), you could set up for an online appointment at USEM for Legal Capacity for Marriage and pay $50 at USEM because you could not just walk in, once your here and you have the Legal Capacity in hand, go to the Local Civil Registrar where your fiance resides to file for the application of Marriage License (this will also depends on her age if she will need consent)(you will have 10 days waiting period before they could release your marriage license). When we got married here, we did it in 1 month time. Good luck.

Affidavit in leu of legal capicity to contract marriage. This means that us citizens cannot get a legal capicity to marry, so we get the affidavit instead of(in leu). Only need the one document.

I arrived in the philis on July 17, flew to Mindanao, then a few days later we went to Manila to get the affidavit, then back. Got married on July 29.

Three weeks is plenty of time. If she is prepared ahead of time with her docs.

Check out the embassy website, its got a section on marriage in the Phillis.

In order to get married in the Phils, you only need ONE document from the US embassy, and that is the "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry" (more information here: http://manila.usembassy.gov/mobile/marriage.html )

My husband arrived in the Phils on Aug5 12midnyt and at 9am we went to the US consular agency in Cebu to obtain the affidavit (no appointment needed). After that we flew to my hometown and applied for marriage license the next day at our local civil registrar. Both of you should be present when applying for the license. You should ask your fiancee to inquire about all documents necessary to get the marriage license. Afternoon of the same day we attended the required seminar. After that you have to wait at least 10 days (not sure if business days, i forgot) before you can claim your marriage license from the civil registrar. Once you have the license, you can get married whenever wherever and however you want.

Hubby stayed in the country for only 20 days. Arrived and got affidavit aug5, applied for marriage license aug6, got marriage license aug19, church wedding aug24 and flew back to Hawaii aug25 lol :) so yeah, i think you will be fine with your 3weeks stay here, just make sure you use your time wisely and to get the documents as soon as u arrive here. The affidavit and the marriage license are the most important ones. Good luck! :)

08.24.2013 - got married in the Philippines!

09.25.2013 - NOA1 via email

11.18.2013 - requested expedite due to typhoon

12.02.2013 - CFO seminar

12.12.2013 - I-130 approved, NOA2 via email (never transferred); shipped to NVC

12.30.2013 - NVC received the case

01.06.2014 - requested expedite due to typhoon and PCS

01.08.2014 - Case # and IIN; submitted DS-261; NVC asked for 2 contact #s of beneficiary

01.09.2014 - AOS fee billed

01.14.2014 - AOS fee showed paid

01.15.2014 - IV fee billed; expedite approved

01.18.2014 - sent AOS package

01.22.2014 - IV fee showed paid; AOS arrived at NVC as per UPS (10:18am by FNU)

01.24.2014 - sent IV package

01.27.2014 - submitted DS-260; IV docs delivered to NVC as per DHL (10:52am by PETERS G)

01.29.2014 - CASE COMPLETE (via phonecall)

01.30.2014 - received checklist for Dutch Police Record (VOG) via email

01.31.2014 - left NVC, sent to embassy

02.04.2014 - received at embassy, READY as per CEAC

02.10-11.2014 - medical done, passed!

02.24.2014 - interview: APPROVED!!

02.27.2014 - Received SMS from 2Go, ready for pick up

02.28.2014 - visa on hand; CFO sticker

03.01.2014 - paid ELIS

03.06.2014 - POE Hawaii...Aloooohaaa! :)

04.10.2014 - 2yr green card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.