8 posts in this topic

I sent my packet for ROC on July 9th of 2013. Among the files that I sent I included:

1. Joint Bank Statements

2. Utility bills

3. Internet and Cable

4. Health insurance

5. Joint lease

6. Taxes for the last three years

7. Some pictures

I felt that my case was pretty strong and we should be approved right away. Later after that our case got transfered to California, within the note they specified that they could either approved it within 90 days or schedule an interview at a local office. But on Nov 27th we received a notification saying that in fact the case was transfered to a local office, and that they will schedule an appointment. I started freaking out and thinking about possible red flags. We are a very young couple and don't have a lot of income, we hadn't had a chance to travel together due to schedules and cost. The lawyer told us that it was a very standard procedure, sometimes it happens random but that we should be prepared for anything - Including a Stokes Interview. Fortunately we were assigned to the LIC office in Queens, the lawyer told me that when they conduct interviews at that location are usually regular ones, the stoke ones are usually conducted at Plaza, in Manhattan, so that was a bit of a relieved. We finally got the letter for the interview on January 1st. It was scheduled for this morning at 10:30 am.

We arrived at 9:30 am, checking in only until 10 when the lawyer arrived and waited almost for 1.5 hours. We finally got called. Our officer was a very serious black gentleman, I think he was an African Immigrant based on his accent and last time - I can't actually remember it. He made us walk into his office and had us sit down . The chairs were very far away from his desk which I thought it was interesting. Then he asked my wife for her ID and my passport.

Then he asked me the first question: How long have you been married. Then he asked my wife: what's your current address? And continued with her, do you have family here? Where do they live? Does your husband know them? Then he asked me: do you know her parents? Then he went back to her, Who of your parents like him better? Why the mom? Then he started asking very fast questions to the two of us? Were you married before? Was she married before? Did you have Children from previous Marriages? I think he was trying to trick us or something but the answers for that were kind of obvious since we are a very young couple. But at the moment the old man started to loosen up with us. He asked my wife if I was good to her? and That if we should give him the green card? Then he asked me if she was nice to me and we started laughing, even my lawyer threw some comments. Then he asked us for some pictures after the wedding. I started to passing them. and he asked us questions, Where was this? Where you buying her a drink? Then at certain point he asked me to let my wife pick a picture since I had the album. So she gave him one at the end we congratulated us for the evidence and the order in that we provided it and ended up the interview telling us that we were good people. He said that he was going to approve our case and that we should wait outside and that he would call me to hand me the passport with the stamp. It seems that the old man perhaps had a rough day but at then end he was extremely nice to us. I picked up the passport wished us good luck and parted ways. He never asked for any evidence. We brought everything I described on top but updated.

It was a very nerve racking experience. I think I read all the interviews post for I-751 on this website, they were definitely helpful in to see what to expect. I also realize that at the end none of them were helpful in order to calm me down. The more I read the more I would freak out. I think every case is different. There are definitely very weird stories about people who have gone through the worst in this process. The only thing I would recommend is that if you feel that there is something wrong with your case get a lawyer. And work your case, I hope this is helpful, and I can't be more grateful to be done with this process. I know this is very cliche and repetitive, but if your marriage is real no one knows better your significant other than you. Hope this is helpful

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.