Sign in to follow this  
djv-tco

DS-160 Application Receipt/Petition Number

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

We got our Vancouver case number today by calling DOS. I got through to someone in just a minute and lady I spoke with was very nice and helpful.

Now on to finishing the DS-160. In the Travel Information section, it asks for Application Receipt/Petition Number. Could someone kindly confirm that this is the USCIS receipt and not the Vancouver number that DOS gave us?

Thank you in advance!

Hi djv-tco,

Have a look at this example, http://philippinefiancevisa.weebly.com/sample-ds160.html, it is for the Philippines (as in an example of someone from the Philippines filling it out), but the basic steps are the same.

I filled in my DS-160 a few days ago, and it asked for the Application Receipt/Petition Number and the help section said specifically your application number was given to you by USCIS, so this means you should put your USCIS receipt number in there and not the case number. That is my interpretation of the instructions anyway.

Hope this helps

Hi djv-tco,

Have a look at this example, http://philippinefiancevisa.weebly.com/sample-ds160.html, it is for the Philippines (as in an example of someone from the Philippines filling it out), but the basic steps are the same.

I filled in my DS-160 a few days ago, and it asked for the Application Receipt/Petition Number and the help section said specifically your application number was given to you by USCIS, so this means you should put your USCIS receipt number in there and not the case number. That is my interpretation of the instructions anyway.

Hope this helps

Hi chestnutt,

Thanks for the input. I asked a friend who's also a VJ member and she said they put the NVC/DOS case number. Their case was also processed at the Vancouver consulate so I took her advice.

Even though the example stated to put uscis number, I put DOS case number on mine.

Hi Janice&Micah,

I did the same - used the case number obtained from DOS. The instructions for this question is a bit ambiguous and leans more towards the description of the original USCIS Receipt Number. But completing the DS-160 and getting the confirmation afterwards makes sense because the DOS case number is what's sent to the consulate for processing.

Thank you both for the input!

lol if it makes you feel better, I put the USCIS receipt number on mine since at the time, I still didn't have the case number from NVC. Didn't have any problems at all. So its either

lol if it makes you feel better, I put the USCIS receipt number on mine since at the time, I still didn't have the case number from NVC. Didn't have any problems at all. So its either

Thanks for the note! I'm sure others will appreciate confirmations from different members that either works. smile.png

Back to Top ↑

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Try asking our VJ Immigration Lawyers.