xeon

NVC asks original or certified copy of birth certificate

9 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi,

Yesterday I got a checklist from NVC where they say that the document I submitted as birth certificate is not sufficient. They want original or certified copy of the birth certificate. I sent them, along with other documents, a certified translation from russian to english. The original is a birth certificate issued during the Soviet Union while my country is Latvia. This means it is impossible to get the authority to get another copy.

My question is what to do in this case? Should I send them the original? Or should I send them a photocopy of the original and make it signed by the notary? I am quite confused on what kind of document they are expecting.

I am a latvian citizen who born in Ukraine during USSR.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi,

Yesterday I got a checklist from NVC where they say that the document I submitted as birth certificate is not sufficient. They want original or certified copy of the birth certificate. I sent them, along with other documents, a certified translation from russian to english. The original is a birth certificate issued during the Soviet Union while my country is Latvia. This means it is impossible to get the authority to get another copy.

My question is what to do in this case? Should I send them the original? Or should I send them a photocopy of the original and make it signed by the notary? I am quite confused on what kind of document they are expecting.

I am a latvian citizen who born in Ukraine during USSR.

What I would do is call NVC and tell them you will bring the original to the interview and would they case complete you.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

What I would do is call NVC and tell them you will bring the original to the interview and would they case complete you.

Do you think they will accept this? My visa is F2A, which means my wife in USA is an LPR. To my understanding how the NVC machine works, it is fast for US citizens and slower LPRs. The former is faster since document issue is postponed to be resolved during interview and while in USA, the latter case requires documents ready for NVC. Correct me if I am wrong.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Do you think they will accept this? My visa is F2A, which means my wife in USA is an LPR. To my understanding how the NVC machine works, it is fast for US citizens and slower LPRs. The former is faster since document issue is postponed to be resolved during interview and while in USA, the latter case requires documents ready for NVC. Correct me if I am wrong.

Well yes its slower because LOR's have to wait in queue for visa number. The bulletin was current have no idea what it is now. All you an do is request it. Let them know you don't want to send in original because your case could be sitting at NVC a long time an dthere is no way to get another copy.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Well yes its slower because LOR's have to wait in queue for visa number. The bulletin was current have no idea what it is now. All you an do is request it. Let them know you don't want to send in original because your case could be sitting at NVC a long time an dthere is no way to get another copy.

Thanks for your answer! I just called NVC and among other questions, asked if it is possible to skip the sending of the birth certificate and bring it just right to the interview. The guy on the other way just said - this is not working this way, sir. I could do nothing more here.

Another piece of useful information for other people with USSR birth certificates: They guy said that I have to send the original since the original issuing authority does not exist and hence cannot make a certified copy..

Edited by xeon

• 2 months later...
Filed: Timeline

Thanks for your answer! I just called NVC and among other questions, asked if it is possible to skip the sending of the birth certificate and bring it just right to the interview. The guy on the other way just said - this is not working this way, sir. I could do nothing more here.

Another piece of useful information for other people with USSR birth certificates: They guy said that I have to send the original since the original issuing authority does not exist and hence cannot make a certified copy..

Dear Xeon,

I have the same problem.

My dad has the original USSR Birth Certificate and I just got a letter from the NVC asking me to send the original.

Do you know if I need an apostill for this Birth Certificate?

On the last page of the certificate thers a stamp of the "Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the USSR"

Thanks.

Timeline

Dear Xeon,

I have the same problem.

My dad has the original USSR Birth Certificate and I just got a letter from the NVC asking me to send the original.

On the last page of the certificate thers a stamp of the "Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the USSR"

Thanks.

Hi,

I think I understand your anxiousness. We went through the same. To explain the big story shortly, we decided to send the original knowing that this is usually *NOT* a good idea. This did not pose a problem after all and I got the visa, thanks God.

I was born in Ukraine during USSR and hence got the birth certificate from that country. When I was a kid, we moved to Latvia and this is where I lived most of my life. I used this birth certificate all the time until recently. Then lately we realised that there might be a problem and I contacted Latvian embassy in France (I live there). They told me that the USSR birth certificates are NOT valid in EU! At the same time, they cannot just print a birth certificate from Latvia. And at the same time, the Ukrainian embassy representative told me that in Ukraine the document is OK but still - they cannot send me the birth certificate! So... I asked the Latvian embassy in France to send me a document in which they say basically that they cannot issue the birth certificate. I got this document easily & fast.

During the interview they had my USSR birth certificate original and translation, and everything was fine for them. I kept the document from embassy just in case they want more proof. I did not tell them that I got it.

Yeah, sending original is quite risky, I know. I don't like to do this, especially for an important document which cannot be replaced easily.

Dear Xeon,

I have the same problem.

Thanks.

What concerns the apostille, I know that this was needed for my marriage certificate issued in US to be recognised in Latvia. I did not get apostille for my birth certificate.

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I think I understand your anxiousness. We went through the same. To explain the big story shortly, we decided to send the original knowing that this is usually *NOT* a good idea. This did not pose a problem after all and I got the visa, thanks God.

I was born in Ukraine during USSR and hence got the birth certificate from that country. When I was a kid, we moved to Latvia and this is where I lived most of my life. I used this birth certificate all the time until recently. Then lately we realised that there might be a problem and I contacted Latvian embassy in France (I live there). They told me that the USSR birth certificates are NOT valid in EU! At the same time, they cannot just print a birth certificate from Latvia. And at the same time, the Ukrainian embassy representative told me that in Ukraine the document is OK but still - they cannot send me the birth certificate! So... I asked the Latvian embassy in France to send me a document in which they say basically that they cannot issue the birth certificate. I got this document easily & fast.

During the interview they had my USSR birth certificate original and translation, and everything was fine for them. I kept the document from embassy just in case they want more proof. I did not tell them that I got it.

Yeah, sending original is quite risky, I know. I don't like to do this, especially for an important document which cannot be replaced easily.

What concerns the apostille, I know that this was needed for my marriage certificate issued in US to be recognised in Latvia. I did not get apostille for my birth certificate.

So I think I dont need the apostille for the Birth Certificate.

Thank you :)

• 3 years later...

Hi,

My original birth certificate is gujarati language and name in Birth Certificate (NIHAR) is different from Passport (NIHAL), my all document have same name as passport apart from Birth Certificate.

I checked on NVC website and it said that you can submit the Matriculation certificate (issues by school board with birth date) so I was planing to submit it.(https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/IN.html

But when I called NVC and confirm they said I have to submit the Birth certificate.   so Now I see submitting only Matriculation certificate increases chance of getting REF.

So I am thinking to submit below documents. Please review and let me know if this can be better.

Translate original BC to English - get it notarized - Attach Gazette Copy
1.1  - original BC in Gujarati 
1.2 - English translation with Notarized.
1.3 - Cover letter explaining name change proof registered in Gazette copy issue by Government of Gujarat.
1.4 - copy of Gazette from Government of Gujarat. which have entry of name change.
1.5 ( Optional ) - Certificate of the birth issued by Government School Board ( Matriculation certificate )

Naturalization - N-400 Timeline

09/09/2020 - N-400 filling done online

09/09/2020 - NOA online

02/11/2021 - Bio Reuse

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.