LucidDreams

Is Shipping USPS to Phils Safe via Registered Mail?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! I want to mail my Fiancee a cell phone (iPhone 4S), some pictures of us, and some vitamins. She didn't ask for these things (excep the vitamins since I am sending the other things), I just want to send them to her.

At any rate, what is the best way to mail these? She is now living in Mactan Lapu-Lapu City if it matters.

I see that USPS has the cheapest rates, but I also hear that there is a good chance that the package would never make it to her, or that she may be extorted for extra money when trying to pick it up fro the Post Office. Is this true?

I priced out USPS, UPS, FedEx and DHL. I can ship via USPS Priority Mail International® Small Flat Rate Box for $24.99 (vitamins won't likely fit but that's okay, the cell phone and pictures will), while the others all have the price 4 times and much, at about $100.

Also, then I read this article and it looks like it's actually UPS, FeEx and DHL that are likely to hit up the receiver for extra fees...:

http://liveinthephilippines.com/content/does-philippine-customs-overcharge/

Right now I'm thinking the $24.99 USPS Priority with an extra $12 for Registered Mail. If I understand correctly, Registered Mail required a signiture every time it changes hands for an easy trace, and also included insurance too. Seems pretty secure, eh?

http://www.stamps.com/usps/registered-mail/

Finally, for international shipments I'm suppose to declare the item in detail. So, i actually need to write "iPhone 4S" and not just a generic "cell phone and pictures", right? I just didn't want to advertise, but with the Registered Mail I doubt that it would be an issue.

Thank you in advance!

Let everything about you breathe the calm and peace of the soul.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

hi i have used global express guaranteed to ship my fiance his needed documents from me and it works great however it was to germany not sure about phillapines. But if you do go usps global express with fedex be sure to print out and tape your address info onto the package and have a normal customs form along with the fed ex one that the post office provides along with a copy of the airwaybill for your records to track the pakcage. another big thing to be sure to do when mailing this way is when they input the zip code sometimes a different town will come up in their system, be sure they have the correct town even if the zip is different. and on your written air way bill and taped address info you will have the corect zip with address so it will correct itself and get to where it needs to go this is how i had to send my package and it go there in 2 days. i did pay $107 to sip bu it got there safe and sound and fast. good luck <3<3<3

Do you have a LBC? Not sure if They will charge a tax on it.

85X1m8.png
USCIS (78 Days)
11/06/2012- Filed I-130 through Congressman
11/08/2012- USCIS Received date/ Priority date
11/14/2012- NOA1 Hardcopy sent
01/25/2013- NOA 2: APPROVED Letter sent(on-line verified)

02/01/2013- Hard copy NOA2 received@1406 hrs

NVC (30 Days)
02/04/2013- NVC Received
02/21/2013- NVC Case Number (MNL2013-xx-xxxx)
02/21/2013- Sent DS-3032 emailed
02/25/2013- Received/Paid I-864 Bill
02/26/2013- I-864 Showing
PAID
02/28/2013-Return Completed I-864 and DS-230
03/01/2013- Confirmation of Completed DS-3032
03/01/2013-Received IV Bill

03/06/2013-IV BILL Paid correctly
03/06/2013-CASE COMPLETED AT NVC
03/07/2013-IV BILL SHOWING PAID!
03/12/2013 Completed case sent to US Embassy Manila

Embassy (28 Days)

03/14/2013-Embassy Received
03/19/2013-Medical Completed
04/03/2013-Interview & Result, PASSED!
04/04/2012-CFO
04/10/2013-Visa Issued
04/11/2013-VIsa/Passport picked up@MOA/CFO Sticker/Flight
04/11/2013-POE-Hawaii and HOME!

04/30/2013- Green Card arrived

05/05/2013-State ID issued

4/18/2016 N-400 mailed

Timeline

Also, I'm sending her a debit card from Akimbo to make transfering money easier than having her run to Western Union each time. How should I declare this? (1) Debit Card? Or just list it as "financial documentation"? I'd like to be vauge, but again I think international shipping requires specific.

https://akimbocard.com/

Timeline

Do you have a LBC? Not sure if They will charge a tax on it.

I never heard of LBC, but I just looked them up. Their two nearest locations are both an hour away. Also, their cost calculator on their homepage is only for Phils to Phils, not international.

http://www.lbcexpress.com/

Click on the flag?

I would put it as a gift, not saying iPhone or anything,

and put the credit card inside a birthday card or something with maybe $20 balance, if it's reload able and taped inside, and sealed in a card envelope. I don't trust anyone. I feel the less they know, the less chance of being stolen.

85X1m8.png
USCIS (78 Days)
11/06/2012- Filed I-130 through Congressman
11/08/2012- USCIS Received date/ Priority date
11/14/2012- NOA1 Hardcopy sent
01/25/2013- NOA 2: APPROVED Letter sent(on-line verified)

02/01/2013- Hard copy NOA2 received@1406 hrs

NVC (30 Days)
02/04/2013- NVC Received
02/21/2013- NVC Case Number (MNL2013-xx-xxxx)
02/21/2013- Sent DS-3032 emailed
02/25/2013- Received/Paid I-864 Bill
02/26/2013- I-864 Showing
PAID
02/28/2013-Return Completed I-864 and DS-230
03/01/2013- Confirmation of Completed DS-3032
03/01/2013-Received IV Bill

03/06/2013-IV BILL Paid correctly
03/06/2013-CASE COMPLETED AT NVC
03/07/2013-IV BILL SHOWING PAID!
03/12/2013 Completed case sent to US Embassy Manila

Embassy (28 Days)

03/14/2013-Embassy Received
03/19/2013-Medical Completed
04/03/2013-Interview & Result, PASSED!
04/04/2012-CFO
04/10/2013-Visa Issued
04/11/2013-VIsa/Passport picked up@MOA/CFO Sticker/Flight
04/11/2013-POE-Hawaii and HOME!

04/30/2013- Green Card arrived

05/05/2013-State ID issued

4/18/2016 N-400 mailed

Timeline

Thanks for the replies!

Has anybody had any actual experience mailing valuables with Priority Registered Mail via USPS? I

Timeline

My fiancee always send me packages via priority mail. and it only takes 2 Weeks and the packages arrived as it is. I'm also from lapu lapu so I used lapu lapu post office for pick up. Just make sure to send it via USPS priority mail.

Timeline

And oh, he sends the I-129f petition along with the packages and I got everything. No lacking. One time he sent me bracelet, he put it inside the velvet bag and place it inside the kisses chocolate container the heart shape tin can along with the chocolates. Lol. And I got the package exactly 2 Weeks! And oh, post office in lapu lapu is very organize..:)

And oh, he sends the I-129f petition along with the packages and I got everything. No lacking. One time he sent me bracelet, he put it inside the velvet bag and place it inside the kisses chocolate container the heart shape tin can along with the chocolates. Lol. And I got the package exactly 2 Weeks! And oh, post office in lapu lapu is very organize..:)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

And oh, he sends the I-129f petition along with the packages and I got everything. No lacking. One time he sent me bracelet, he put it inside the velvet bag and place it inside the kisses chocolate container the heart shape tin can along with the chocolates. Lol. And I got the package exactly 2 Weeks! And oh, post office in lapu lapu is very organize..smile.png

And oh, he sends the I-129f petition along with the packages and I got everything. No lacking. One time he sent me bracelet, he put it inside the velvet bag and place it inside the kisses chocolate container the heart shape tin can along with the chocolates. Lol. And I got the package exactly 2 Weeks! And oh, post office in lapu lapu is very organize..smile.png

Your experience is truly unique with using the mail. I read of many, many more that have a much less successful venture.

Thanks for the replies!

Has anybody had any actual experience mailing valuables with Priority Registered Mail via USPS? I

It is only Priority Registered Mail until it leaves the USA, then it is whatever when it arrives in the hands of PhilPost. girlwerewolf2xn.gif

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Hi.

My boyfriend sent me a care package last august 16 and I was able to receive it after 39 days. Our experience with PhilPost was so bad that we will never go down that road again.

He sent it via USPS (make sure you track it online) but it got stuck at our Phil. Customs Clearance office for a few more weeks since it was a parcel (Priority Mail Intl just like yours, but the box was large).

I called their office everyday and I was given the same response (waiting for clearance from Customs) until I decided to just go to their office and pick it myself.

Sad thing was, since it was Priority Mail, the receiver CANNOT pick it up at the Manila office but only from their local post office.(in her case, in Cebu)

I'm not sure if they also inspect small boxes but they certainly open big ones. Since you have to declare the contents, make sure that you write that the phone is a gift, and lessen the amount/value that you write on the form 'cause that's where they will be basing the taxes from, if they do decide to tax your package.

They set my taxes at 2,300 pesos but since I didn't have that amount ready, I only paid 1500 "under the table", no receipt, of course. I signed a form that it was ready to be shipped to my local post office. I went home with a heavy heart and a hurt pocket.

After a few days, they sent me a notice, I went to the local office and still had to pay 50 pesos before it was safe in my hands.

I hope you don't have to go through this. Track it everyday online, and take note of the shift from USPS to Philpost.

Good luck. :)

Hi! I want to mail my Fiancee a cell phone (iPhone 4S), some pictures of us, and some vitamins. She didn't ask for these things (excep the vitamins since I am sending the other things), I just want to send them to her.

At any rate, what is the best way to mail these? She is now living in Mactan Lapu-Lapu City if it matters.

I see that USPS has the cheapest rates, but I also hear that there is a good chance that the package would never make it to her, or that she may be extorted for extra money when trying to pick it up fro the Post Office. Is this true?

I priced out USPS, UPS, FedEx and DHL. I can ship via USPS Priority Mail International® Small Flat Rate Box for $24.99 (vitamins won't likely fit but that's okay, the cell phone and pictures will), while the others all have the price 4 times and much, at about $100.

Also, then I read this article and it looks like it's actually UPS, FeEx and DHL that are likely to hit up the receiver for extra fees...:

http://liveinthephilippines.com/content/does-philippine-customs-overcharge/

Right now I'm thinking the $24.99 USPS Priority with an extra $12 for Registered Mail. If I understand correctly, Registered Mail required a signiture every time it changes hands for an easy trace, and also included insurance too. Seems pretty secure, eh?

http://www.stamps.com/usps/registered-mail/

Finally, for international shipments I'm suppose to declare the item in detail. So, i actually need to write "iPhone 4S" and not just a generic "cell phone and pictures", right? I just didn't want to advertise, but with the Registered Mail I doubt that it would be an issue.

Thank you in advance!

Number 1, you're not supposed to send cell phones via the postal service as they have lithium batteries and postal regulations say thats a no no.

Number 2, declaring the phone will probably result in custom duties above the value of the phone.

Number 3, US postal guarantees end as soon as they hand the package off to FilPost in Manila.

Number 4, all the delivery companies, including the postal service have had trouble with theft and or extorted fees.

Given all that, we just sent a small package to my sister in law via the postal service. We declared the vitamins, shirts, and other small items. We did not declare the unlocked iPhone 4S we sent. That is just asking for it never to arrive, or a huge customs fee and likely an extortion fee on top of that. We've been at this game for a while now. My sister in law was charged like 200P duty on the items we shipped. Packages through the postal service always make it to the recipient for us, although customs fees and extortion fees are common where my wife's family lives in Davao City. Cards sent to that same location stand only about a 50% chance of making it, as they're grabbed up looking for inserted cash.

All shippers into the Philippines are supposed to be collecting custom duties on the items being shipped. So don't think that just changing shippers exempts you from duties. The problem comes in when the local delivery people take a 500P duty and turn it into 1000P or 5000P duty. Or a duty free item and turn it into a big duty. Like when I time I mistakenly wrote immigration documents on the customs for and my now wife was charged 5000P to get them. There is no duty on documents, but when they saw immigration, they saw many pisos to be made.

If you want your package to arrive, what I suggest is list a few things they can charge a duty on, even maybe a little over charging to, if its the custom in the area. But leave off those big ticket items that flag the package for theft and/or extortion fees. Yes there's a chance it may never arrive, and different shippers have differing levels of reliability to get it there depending on location.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Bummer. I sent a package last week via USPS Express Priortity. They assured me (of course), that it would be fine to arrive safely. But after reading this thread, I'm not optimistic she is going to receive it, or if she does, she isn't going to have to pay large fees to pick it up. I should have looked into in more :(

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.