Soul Froosh

My Story - should I marry while in the USA?

41 posts in this topic

I'm going to try and keep this as short as possible.

I'm 31 year old musician from England. I came to Portland, Maine in the summer for 3 months to concentrate on music (writing & recording) and to take a break from problems back home. I had savings to cover my trip. While here in the summer, I fell in love with my roommate (Rosie) and we were a couple when I left.

I then went home (to not violate the 90 day rule) for 6 weeks and to tie up more loose ends with my home, with the intentions of coming back to the US for another long stay to be with Rosie. I had trouble coming back through immigration, hoisted into the back with the usual interrogation, made to feel like a criminal, bags searched etc.

After speaking with Rosie over the phone regarding my intentions here, they let me in, but stipulated I must leave in December (which was my return flight) and she will then have to petition for a fiance visa to come back in - otherwise I'm banned for a year.

So here I am in Maine with my girlfriend. We have around 3 weeks left until I have to leave and we are seperated. Is it best to marry before I leave, and then have her appeal for a spouse visa (while I'm in England)? Or go home unmarried and petition for the fiance visa?

It's only just dawning on us now how long and complicated all this will be, but by all accounts it seems me leaving as Rosie's husband will make it easier to get back in?

I wish they would make it easier for couples in these situations to be together. Any advice or info would be much appreciated. Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration, from IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa Process & Procedures - As they are still exploring their options~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Right now, I have a few friends who filed their I-129F application for fiance and it was sent to the embassy within 3 months which is a crazy amount of time! So fast. :)

I've read of some people with a spousal visa still waiting from months ago so it's hard to say which is best. Check the current processing time for both visas online through the service center ya'll would use for the type of petition you would be filing.

You can also marry here and apply for AOS but you are not supposed to come here with that intention. My best friend's fiance came here for a visit while she was pregnant to visit. That was his intention. He ended up staying and they got married because they could not bear the thought of being apart and adjusted his status. They had no issues because his intention was just to visit.

It's not illegal to marry a US citizen here and if you do it's not illegal to adjust your status but you may not enter here with that intention.

You should get the advice of a reputable immigration attorney if you are worried.

"Verily, after hardship there is ease" Holy Qur'an 94:6

http://www.anaashad.blogspot.com

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

I'm going to try and keep this as short as possible.

I'm 31 year old musician from England. I came to Portland, Maine in the summer for 3 months to concentrate on music (writing & recording) and to take a break from problems back home. I had savings to cover my trip. While here in the summer, I fell in love with my roommate (Rosie) and we were a couple when I left.

I then went home (to not violate the 90 day rule) for 6 weeks and to tie up more loose ends with my home, with the intentions of coming back to the US for another long stay to be with Rosie. I had trouble coming back through immigration, hoisted into the back with the usual interrogation, made to feel like a criminal, bags searched etc.

After speaking with Rosie over the phone regarding my intentions here, they let me in, but stipulated I must leave in December (which was my return flight) and she will then have to petition for a fiance visa to come back in - otherwise I'm banned for a year.

So here I am in Maine with my girlfriend. We have around 3 weeks left until I have to leave and we are seperated. Is it best to marry before I leave, and then have her appeal for a spouse visa (while I'm in England)? Or go home unmarried and petition for the fiance visa?

It's only just dawning on us now how long and complicated all this will be, but by all accounts it seems me leaving as Rosie's husband will make it easier to get back in?

I wish they would make it easier for couples in these situations to be together. Any advice or info would be much appreciated.

So are you asking if it will be easier to get it while waiting for fiancee/spousal visa ? Or whether it will be easier to get one ?

As for VWP visit, I think it's a hit or miss, having been to secondary I think you'll have bit of trouble getting in regardless of whether you're her husband or not - probably depends on CBP mood that day.

Now K-1 vs. CR-1 is another choice you have to make, check out the VJ guides on the top of the page. From what I've seen, some of CR-1s applicants face awfully long processing times right now...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you're asking for what's quicker, it's a gamble, really. There is no obvious answer, nor does USCIS want there to be one.

Right now, K-1s (fiancee visas) are relatively quick especially if you're from a low fraud country. Ours took a bit over 7 months total from filing to her being here. Right now from what I read there is a large backlog of I-130s (spousal visas) and people who filed in March are still waiting to hear anything. BUT, as I said, USCIS doesn't want any one quicker than the other for long, as I suspect within a few months they'll begin shifting resources back to I-130 processing, which they've already started to do in small amounts.

So, your gamble is applying for the current flavor of the month and hope it stays relatively expedient, or take the chance that the I-130s will start to see some love soon, however even in that scenario they have quite the backlog to get through before they even start considering new petitions.

I would probably go the K-1, all things considered.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So in the case of leaving, it makes little difference either way if we're married or just engaged - that sucks.

Well I didn't come in with the intentions of marrying and abusing a tourist visa, or commiting fraud etc, so we should be able to marry, remain here, and apply for an AOS. We just don't want to be seperated for 7 month +

Maybe that's a big risk. I'm getting legal advice on Tues and will take it from there.

You can AOS. The CBP let you in because they felt at this time you were not intending to immigrate and that wasn't your intention to begin with I assume.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

You can AOS. The CBP let you in because they felt at this time you were not intending to immigrate and that wasn't your intention to begin with I assume.

Well it took me 2 hours to convince him that, and he only let me in after stipulating that I leave in Dec and pursue a fiance visa. On the other hand, my passport is stamped until January, and I doubt what he said is set in stone anywhere. It gives me hope to hear people say I can AOS. Thanks.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Duplicate thread on this topic removed; do not start more than one thread on the same issue.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

It's not really a duplicate.

This thread was enquiring about my options.

The other thread was enquiring further after deciding I wish to pursue AOS from a visa waiver (in the relevant forum)

I wanted to hear specifically from people who have successfully adjusted in the correct forum.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Most people in your situation stay and adjust.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

It still amazes me how many people never had the intention to marry and stay, yet do. For those wondering why their foreign Gf or BF might have trouble getting a tourist visa (even to visit a 'friend'), just read the first post (and many others like it).

The system is ridiculous. I was perfectly happy and capable to come & go, without working illegally here, and maintain a relationship with my fiance here until a CBP stopped me and told me otherwise, insinuating I must be working illegally here and treating me like a criminal etc. The annoying part is I brought thousands of UK earned currency into the US economy, I never worked illegally, and my only intention remains to make my USC loved one happy and take care of her.

The truth is I have to stay now, otherwise I'm locked out for a long time. It was never my intention to stay, marry, and then go through all the meticulous AOS procedures. The system needs to acknowledge the needs of genuine couples in commited relationships a lot more.

Edited by Nick Loves Rosie

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Just to clarify, it is not illegal to get married in the US. What is illegal by US laws is to enter the US on VW with the intention to stay.

There are 3 options available to you at the moment:

1. Get married and adjust status in the US. Keeping in mind though you spend 2 hours convincing the CBP officer that you will be leaving. This could be a problem further down the line because you they did take you into a secondary interview just so you can prove that you will leave by December. And you didn't. Worse case scenario, they deny you, you are deported and have to file for a CR1 visa from the UK.

2. Don't get married. Leave by December and return to the UK, and your girlfriend files for a K1 fiance visa. As Avery Cates mentioned earlier, right now K1 petitions are being processed relatively quickly. However with a K1 visa you will have to get married in the US within 90 days of your entry and then file for adjustment of status and also an EAD. Until you get your EAD you will be unable to work in the US. Normal processing time for an EAD is usually 3 months.

The other thing about the K1, it costs approx 1000 dollars more than a CR1 visa.

3. Get married in the US, leave by December for the UK and then file for a CR1 spousal visa. This means you get your green card the moment you enter in the US and you are able to work as soon as you like.

Right now the processing times for a CR1 are atrocious, however USCIS has already started to shift the workload around which means that petitions will start moving along faster. Because of this future K1 petitions may suffer with longer processing times then they are currently showing.

IMHO i wouldn't adjust status in the US now. I have had plenty of oppurtinities to stay and adjust status within the US but I did not want to risk wasting 6 months and longer with the chance of a denial at the other end then being sent back to my Greece and have to do the whole process all over again.

Just choose what is right and feel right to you.

CR1 Visa

USCIS
08/13/2013 -- I130 Sent
08/14/2013 -- I130 NOA1 (email)

02/20/2014 -- I130 NOA2 (189 days - email)

NVC

02-28-2014 -- NVC received
04-03-2014 -- NVC case number assigned

05-22-2014 -- Case completed!!!!!!!
05-30-2014 -- Interview scheduled for July 16th 2014 08:30am

05-31-2014 -- Interview Letter received
Embassy
06-24-2014 -- Medical

07-16-2014 -- Interview Approved!!!!!
07-21-2014 -- Visa in hand
09-24-2014 -- POE

ROC
09-09-2016 -- I-751 sent
09-17-2016 -- NOA received

10-14-2016 -- Biometric appointment

08-07-2017 -- New card ordered
08-10-2017 -- New card mailed ( still no approval letter)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.