Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Getting social help affect citizenship?

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello Henia,

Ive been told that if someone is on section 8 that getting an approval is hard because how can you show or provide proof that you are capable of caring for someone else.

The idea is to prove that the beneficiary can be taken care of and if someone is on welfare or receiving section 8 already says hey I cant take care of myself and the government is helping me. It also says that I depend on the government and so will my spouse. Its a government burden.

The one thing I hear is that they want that the beneficiary be NOT DEPENDENT on the government.

I hope this helps

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

section 8 is not cosidered as a mean benefit. It totally does not effect your eligiblity for citizenship. public housing or section 8 are not cosidred welfare for clarification. Welfares are mean benefits like food stamps, medicaid and finanician help from goverment like SSI or SSDI. Immigrants are not eiligible for mean benefits but they are eligible for housing, section 8 and Finacial aid for school. Don't worry it won't effect on your case.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a link explaining in detail the difference between Medicare and Medicaid:




  • Who is Eligible: Medicare covers almost everyone 65 or older, certain people on Social Security disability, and some people with permanent kidney failure.


  • Who is Eligible: Medicaid covers low-income and financially needy people, including those over 65 who are also on Medicare.


To the former posters: where did you read that getting Medicaid would affect citizenship? I'm confused, as immigrants with green cards are eligible for it. Are you sure it affects the naturalization application? Do you have a reliable link stating that?

Here's a link for an explanation of Public Charge: http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge

As far as I understand from this text, Medicaid is not considered Public Charge -- unless you're on long-term institutional care:

Q. What publicly funded benefits may not be considered for public charge purposes?


Non-cash or special purpose cash benefits that are not considered for public charge purposes include:

  • Medicaid and other health insurance and health services (including public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases; use of health clinics, short-term rehabilitation services, and emergency medical services) other than support for long-term institutional care

(...) etc. - read on the link above the rest.

Thank you for that clarification Simps. Is Medical for children (insurance for children inCalifornia) considered welfare? You mentioned Medicad, which correct me if I'm wrong is for chronically ill and elderly?

Nice blog BTW! smile.png

Edited by themimigrant

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.