StateSide

Filing n-400 for me and my children

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am in the process of filing for citizenship for myself (K1) now married and having lived with my husband for 5 years. We have our 10 year green cards. My children are 19 and 21. In the N-400 application I will list all of my children. I have two that live with me in the US and came over with me in the fiance visa process. I also have one daughter who is married with children still living in Colombia. I know that I will list all three of my children on the N-400.

The N-400 instructions are a little confusing regarding years as a perminent resident in my situation. I meet the three year requirement as my husband is a us citizen and I have had my perminent residency since 2010.

My questions...

Will my children be covered under my N-400?

Fees?

If my children are not covered under my N-400 will they have to wait to meet the 5 year residency?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am in the process of filing for citizenship for myself (K1) now married and having lived with my husband for 5 years. We have our 10 year green cards. My children are 19 and 21. In the N-400 application I will list all of my children. I have two that live with me in the US and came over with me in the fiance visa process. I also have one daughter who is married with children still living in Colombia. I know that I will list all three of my children on the N-400.

The N-400 instructions are a little confusing regarding years as a perminent resident in my situation. I meet the three year requirement as my husband is a us citizen and I have had my perminent residency since 2010.

My questions...

Will my children be covered under my N-400?

Fees?

If my children are not covered under my N-400 will they have to wait to meet the 5 year residency?

Because your children are over the age of 18 they are respnsible for meeting the requirements for citizenship on their own and will each have to file the N400 and pay individual fees. You still list all of them on your form. All the best for your citizenship journey!

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Your kids cannot file with you for citizenship. They are older then 18 years, they have to be resident for 5 years before they can apply. Since you are still married with you husband you can apply in 3 years but your kids HAVE to wait for 5 years since they became residents.

• 4 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

To the OP - yes - they will have individual applications, full fees for each one ($680 right now) and they will apply under the 5 yr rule when they are eligible.

For example - I became a citizen 2 yrs ago (my daughter was 19 then) and she is now just applying for her own now.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

What if the children are under the age of 18? and under 14? Like mine

It doesn't matter if they are under 14. What matters is whether or not they are under 18. Obviously if they're under 14, they're also under 18 :)

That being said, a child born outside the U.S. is a citizen after birth IF the child was under 18 or not yet born on February 27, 2001 AND at least one parent is a U.S. citizen, the child is currently under 18 and residing in the U.S. in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent pursuant to lawful admission for permanent residence.

In other words, if you become a citizen before they turn 18, and if they are in the US as legal permanent residents, they will automatically become citizens when you do.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

What if the children are under the age of 18? and under 14? Like mine

Your kids will be US citizens once you become a citizen. As long as they are under the age of 18 when you become a citizen then all you have to do for them is apply for your US passport and their US passport using your certificate of naturalization.

If you want to get done with USCIS and update their records, you can apply for N600 for each kid and the will have certificate of citizenship of their own.

Good luck.

If you want to get done with USCIS and update their records, you can apply for N600 for each kid and the will have certificate of citizenship of their own.

Good luck.

I would absolutely recommend doing this, so there's a traceable record of THEIR right to citizenship. Close family friend obtained his US Citizenship through his father, who was naturalized citizen based on 5 year residency. Friend was actually born in the UK, but within a time frame that qualified him to also become a citizen. Fast forward to a couple years ago, friend has lived in the US for over 20 years. His US passport had expired but they refused to renew it because he couldn't prove he had a right to citizenship, because he was born outside of the US to a naturalized parent. He couldn't apply for a copy of his Dad's cert, because it wasn't his. Total and utter chaos!

So, long story short, do your kids a massive favor and file a N-600 for them :)

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.