jace5869

Green Card fee $165 question

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I was really debating whether or not I would pay the $165 GC fee before or after US entry. My wife isn't planning on working right away, or really within the first year (I know you have to pay the fee within a year). I think she is planning on taking some refresher courses or figuring out what she really wants (her sister is like a nosey pest..I think she chose her degree and tries to make all her decisions).

Question is... Do you really have to pay this before? i've only read of one person that was asked for a receipt before entering their POE and they were from Mexico. We'll be flying on Delta and POE will be Atlanta.

What benefit will she have to get her GC if she is not planning on working soon?

Should I wait to pay her sons (4 year old) til later? I don't see the issue with waiting for his...

Yes, money is a little tight right now..We had a quick DCF process and being able to wait til I secure a job back home would hep tremendously.

Filed: Timeline

I did not pay for my Wife's fee in Nigeria and there was no question asked about it in Houston during POE.

I just now submitted the fee last night after we arrived home.

Good luck.

PS: Personally, I would pay that fee ASAP, who knows what immigration debacle they can come up with new fees or higher fees, etc. Just my opinion.

Timeline

I'd really like to pay the fee, but I want to make sure there is enough money to get through travel and to get situated there in the US.

I'm trying to find out exactly what purpose she will need her GC right away for besides working. As I understand it, the stamp in her passport will act as a temporary GC.

I have no clue why her son would need a GC right away...School doesn't require one...He won't be getting any ID's or accounts of any sorts.

I know we have to pay...I'm just thinking delaying it for a little while is okay.

"Unpaid Fees

USCIS will not issue you a Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) until it receives your Immigrant Fee. USCIS will send you a Request for Evidence (RFE) if you do not pay your fee after 45 days. You will receive a second RFE if you fail to pay the fee within 90 days."

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=7dd0c3cf64afd310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Not sure when the timeline starts. Is it from date that visa was issued or when POE was done.

"Unpaid Fees

USCIS will not issue you a Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) until it receives your Immigrant Fee. USCIS will send you a Request for Evidence (RFE) if you do not pay your fee after 45 days. You will receive a second RFE if you fail to pay the fee within 90 days."

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=7dd0c3cf64afd310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Not sure when the timeline starts. Is it from date that visa was issued or when POE was done.

I also have that same question...why does a child need a green card. I'f I'm correct after 3 years the child becomes a U.S. citizen? So why do we have to pay the $165 for a child? My step daughter will be only 5 when her visa is done, and she won't be working at all. What will happen if I do not pay her $165? But only pay for my wife?

DCF Manila

December 12, 2009 Married Lapu-Lapu, Philippines

October 2, 2013 Submitted I-130's

October 8, 2013 I-130's Approved

October 16, 2013 MNL Case Number's Issued

October 30, 2013 NBI Clearance

October 31, 2013 DS-260's Submitted On- Line

October 31, 2013 Cemar CRS Form No. 5

November 23, 2013 Received Packet #3 From US Embassy Manila

January 8-10 2014 Medical Exam's Passed

February 11, 2014 IR-1/IR-2 Visa's Approved

February 17, 2014 Passport's/Visa's in Transit from Post

February 19, 2014 Passport's/Visa's Arrive Via 2Go

February 28, 2014 CFO Completed

June 2, 2014 POE & Immigration at Guam

I also have that same question...why does a child need a green card. I'f I'm correct after 3 years the child becomes a U.S. citizen? So why do we have to pay the $165 for a child? My step daughter will be only 5 when her visa is done, and she won't be working at all. What will happen if I do not pay her $165? But only pay for my wife?

I personally saw two Nigerian kids about 5 and 7 or so with their own green cards while going through POE at Houston. Not sure if they were forced to have one or not.

IMHO, I think you Guys are missing the big picture on what the purpose of the card is for. It's to identify an authorized alien. Not only to work, etc but to even be present here in the country

Edit:

"The green card serves as proof that its holder, a lawful permanent resident (LPR), has been officially granted immigration benefits, which include permission to reside and take employment in the United States. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_residence_(United_States)

Edited by Gowon

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree with Gowon.

The green card is very important, for kids and adults alike. What proof will you show when applying for US citizenship if you don't have a valid proof of LPR status (which is the GC)?

That's the POINT of this whole process, right? biggrin.png

Timeline

You're misunderstanding what I'm asking...I'm not trying to NOT or NEVER pay the GC fee..'m seeing if many people had issues not paying until after their POE.

There is no way we could get the green card before our POE as it would be sent to the US address anyways...so they won't ask for it at POE.

For my wife, I just want to delay paying for it until I can secure the funds when we're back in the US. The passport stamp and visa acts as a temporary GC. I would probably wait til a RFE if things were exceptionally tight, before paying for my wife's son GC.

I'm really just wondering if people are encountering any issues moving through their POE without having previously paid the fee. I have every intention of paying it before a year for both.

ok thanks...GC now makes sense to me.

DCF Manila

December 12, 2009 Married Lapu-Lapu, Philippines

October 2, 2013 Submitted I-130's

October 8, 2013 I-130's Approved

October 16, 2013 MNL Case Number's Issued

October 30, 2013 NBI Clearance

October 31, 2013 DS-260's Submitted On- Line

October 31, 2013 Cemar CRS Form No. 5

November 23, 2013 Received Packet #3 From US Embassy Manila

January 8-10 2014 Medical Exam's Passed

February 11, 2014 IR-1/IR-2 Visa's Approved

February 17, 2014 Passport's/Visa's in Transit from Post

February 19, 2014 Passport's/Visa's Arrive Via 2Go

February 28, 2014 CFO Completed

June 2, 2014 POE & Immigration at Guam

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

you don't have to pay the fee prior to POE event.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.