BastillaShan

Embassy Interview and the Thread of Government Shutdown

54 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

On this... I am really really hoping you're exactly right.

Foreign embassies and consulates (you go to the consulate, not the embassy) are pretty essential. The consulate and embassies WILL be open. Whether they process certain classes of visas or not is another matter. They may have "skeleton crew" staffing.

But since the politicians will be trying to create noise and since foreigners do not generate noise for congress and since there really are not many K-1 visa applicants in the world (c0mpared to the whole scheme of things) it does no tgenerate as much pressure as threat of say, no school lunches, or something like that. They know where to squeeze to get the most squeel.

It is like the Russian phrase (you will need to learn these) "It is like shearing baby pigs...lots of squeeling but no wool!" (I love that one!)

Alla: "You need to tell Pasha to...______________"

Me: "Why? didn't you tell him?"

Alla: "Yes and it was like shearing baby pigs!"rofl.gif

My guess? NVC shuts down and the consulates process visa petitions they already have until they run out. But who really knows?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

My apologies then if I misunderstood where you were coming from. I thought you were chastising me for asking 'not to make it a political discussion' which was in response to the loaded Obama question. I really just didn't want this to turn into bickering (Which i'm now fostering inadvertently). So I'll just say thank you for some of the really good advice here and be on my way. Thanks guys!

Stick around! The thread will eventually turn to how lucky we are to have RUB wives, recipes for disgusting and strange food-stuffs, funny things that happen,gypsy home medicine, customs and culture and all the essential things you need to know for the care and handling of RUB women. rofl.gif

We represent here about 800 years of collective experience in being married to fascinating women! When she arrives, remember to take off your shoes

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: Swaziland
Timeline

Stick around! The thread will eventually turn to how lucky we are to have RUB wives, recipes for disgusting and strange food-stuffs, funny things that happen,gypsy home medicine, customs and culture and all the essential things you need to know for the care and handling of RUB women. rofl.gif

We represent here about 800 years of collective experience in being married to fascinating women! When she arrives, remember to take off your shoes

Hahah I will, and truthfully thank you for the good advice you've provided. I really do appreciate it. I really wasn't trying to start a fire ;)

As for the shoes, I grew up in Japan and Hawaii so I've been house-shoeless for years!!

Open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur.

-Abraham Lincoln.

Keeping with the apolitical nature of this thread, does anyone else find it intriguing that the vast majority of men married to RUB wives tend to be right wing conservatives?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Keeping with the apolitical nature of this thread, does anyone else find it intriguing that the vast majority of men married to RUB wives tend to be right wing conservatives?

I'm definitely not, but I have noticed it, you're right.

-Abraham Lincoln.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I'm definitely not, but I have noticed it, you're right.

You're not alone jclink, but nearly so it sometimes seems!

I tend to ignore the polictical digs, gun talk, and sexism simply because there is no better place to discuss and gain insight into these fascinating women and the places they came from.

I really look forward to Gary's posts for his stories and advice, and I particularly admire his focus on the big picture, family, and what's ultimately important in life. Not to mention he's pretty funny.

Timeline

What you say is true, though not for me in particular.

Right wing conservatives would kick me out! I support everyone's rights. I have TWO wings! I think women should have a choice to have an abortion and have a choice to carry a concealed handgun to protect the children they do NOT abort. They should also be able to choose which school they go to and which school gets the tax money! I think gays should be able to get married...and carry guns.

I do not believe in being dependent on the government and I think a lot of RUB women are the same. Maybe not entirely, but especially the mature ones were disappointed by the goverment time and again. Though Alla will occasionally say "Under communism we all had a house a job and we all had food and health care. Not a very good house or a good job, not very good health care and not very tasty food...but we never worried about it"

Not sure if that is a compliment.

But I can say that if she asked me "what would you do if someone attacked us and tried to hurt me" and my answer was "Call 911 on my cell phone" she would not be pleased.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Timeline

You're not alone jclink, but nearly so it sometimes seems!

I tend to ignore the polictical digs, gun talk, and sexism simply because there is no better place to discuss and gain insight into these fascinating women and the places they came from.

I really look forward to Gary's posts for his stories and advice, and I particularly admire his focus on the big picture, family, and what's ultimately important in life. Not to mention he's pretty funny.

Don't spread this around, but this political stuff really matters little to me. It makes for entertaining conversation. My bestest fishing buddy is 180 degrees polar opposite of me on politics yet we have the best time fishing and bickering. If he loses a fish he blames George Bush...he is THAT bad. Hey, this is the most liberal state in the country, too liberal for the Kennedy's, and I like it! We are very conservative in our liberalism rofl.gif

At the end of the day what matters is your family is safe and doing well.

One day Alla's friend was over and our female pekinese dog started humping the female persian cat, as she always does. Her friend said "THAT's weird" Alla said "It's why we live in Vermont. They're married"

Sexism? what sexism?

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

*sigh* I wasn't trying to make this political. My understanding was that the House of Representatives and Senate were not willing to compromise (i.e. House has crafted a plan that the Senate will not approve.) on a plan that would ultimately be sent to the President for approval.

I wasn't not making this Republicans vs Democrats regardless of how I might feel.

. sad.png

This is correct. Democracy works when elected officials on both sides compromise. Difficult to compromise when a significant group of one party believes in "my way or the highway" type of attitude.

But don't worry. It'll all work out the way it's supposed to. That is, your interview and the government, I mean. goofy.gif

--/--/---- -

05/13/2019 - N400 online submission

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I think that going through the immigration process makes even the most liberal of us suddenly conservative about immigration benefits.

Timeline

Just a little update. I did email the embassy and this was their response:

To: ------
Subject: RE: Question Regarding Visa Services And Government Shutdown.
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:54:10 +0000

As for now we do not have any information regarding possible shutdown of our services. Should this occur all the applicants will be informed of further steps to reschedule their interviews.

Sincerely,

Public Liaison Unit
Consular Section
US Embassy, Moscow

-Abraham Lincoln.

Timeline

I know for those in the process this seems like some huge big deal...it is not.

There have been 17 government shutdowns in the history of the USA. The Democrats forced 9 of them during the Reagan years, so Dems are the champions at them. Who cares. It is a political tactic and waht is shut down will be whatever will end the shutdown fastest...ie. create the most NOISE

They usually last a few days, a week or two tops. You are in a process that takes FOUR YEARS (the visa is the start, not the end) so it is really inconsequential. An RFE will set you back more than that, and no one dies over an RFE. Relax and get ready for when your SO gets here...that's when the easy part ends.rofl.gif

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Just a little update. I did email the embassy and this was their response:

To: ------

Subject: RE: Question Regarding Visa Services And Government Shutdown.

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:54:10 +0000

As for now we do not have any information regarding possible shutdown of our services. Should this occur all the applicants will be informed of further steps to reschedule their interviews.

Sincerely,

Public Liaison Unit

Consular Section

US Embassy, Moscow

Translation: "possible maybe We'll let you know."

Has your fiancee had her school transcripts translated yet? Have you sent them off along with her diplomas to be evaluated? (google ECE or WES) Is she current on all her vaccines BEFORE she goes for the medical exam? (DO NOT count on them to be able to bring her up to current at the medical exam) Will she be attending any school here when she arrives? English classes? Do you have her signed up yet? Screw the government! These are things you can do now and be ready when she gets here. Immigration is about .00000000000005 % of your life. LIFE is the rest.

Do you have an entry area where you can take off your shoes, put on topochki and hang your coats? Ever notice that in Russian/Ukrainian apartments? There is usually an inner door and an outer door and between them is a small space, usually with a small bench for sitting to take off shoes and boots. You have to have stuff there to clean the shoes also. Fabric and cleaner. She is going to want it here. I built an entry vestibule in the garage with a coat closet and shelves for hats and gloves and boots. That stuff cannot come in the house, you know that right?

A hair dryer in every bathroom, iron and ironing board, a towel warmer in the main bath is a nice touch (they have them in Ukraine in every bathroom) towel rack for hand towels in the bathroom by the sink. They wash up every time they come in the house, ever notice that? They need small towels near the sink.

While you wait for the government to get their act together (yeah, lke that ever happens) you can do all these things.

have fun!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Oh yes everything is translated and done our papers are in order and were ready to go. So ready that I'm typing this on my iPhone from JFK waiting to board my Aeroflot flight to meet her in Moscow for her clinic visit and embassy interview on Wednesday.... Assuming it's happening. No turning back now! Thanks again all for the advice and info!

-Abraham Lincoln.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.