BastillaShan

Embassy Interview and the Thread of Government Shutdown

54 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

This is correct. Democracy works when elected officials on both sides compromise. Difficult to compromise when a significant group of one party believes in "my way or the highway" type of attitude.

But don't worry. It'll all work out the way it's supposed to. That is, your interview and the government, I mean. goofy.gif

Like when Obama will compromise with Syrian leaders that gas their own people...but not Republicans. When Obama begs to meet with the new leader of Iran,who is building a nuclear weapon in violation of UN sanctions, but ignores the Repubican Leader of the House of Representatives.

You are right.

Of 17 government shutdowns that have actually happened in our nation's history, 14 of them occurred since 1980. 12 were initiated by Democrats. 9 during the Reagan Presidency alone.

I am no ta Republican, have not voted for one for more than 30 years...but I CAN do math.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Oh yes everything is translated and done our papers are in order and were ready to go. So ready that I'm typing this on my iPhone from JFK waiting to board my Aeroflot flight to meet her in Moscow for her clinic visit and embassy interview on Wednesday.... Assuming it's happening. No turning back now! Thanks again all for the advice and info!

Good luck! I am sure you will have a good time.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Like when Obama will compromise with Syrian leaders that gas their own people...but not Republicans. When Obama begs to meet with the new leader of Iran,who is building a nuclear weapon in violation of UN sanctions, but ignores the Repubican Leader of the House of Representatives.

You are right.

Of 17 government shutdowns that have actually happened in our nation's history, 14 of them occurred since 1980. 12 were initiated by Democrats. 9 during the Reagan Presidency alone.

I am no ta Republican, have not voted for one for more than 30 years...but I CAN do math.

I wonder what changed in the last thirty years?

Edited by sgrimmell

--/--/---- -

05/13/2019 - N400 online submission

Timeline

I wonder what changed in the last thirty years?

I voted for Reagan. The only Republican I ever voted for. I did also vote for Phil Graham in Texas but he was a Democrat when I initially voted for him then he switched parties.

Other than that, I have never voted Republican.I have no interest to live in a Red State (even though I was born in one) but it is painfully obvious that it is Obama that refuses to negotiate with anyone but terrorists, dictators and nuclear criminals. Today we get the wonderful news that he will VETO the legislation that was PASSED to prevent the government shutdown. WHO is causing the shut down?

We also hear news today that Iran will negotiate with Obama IF he lifts the sanctions placed on them for enriching uranium to "weapons grade" against UN resolutions. Their foreign minister today said that they only did so "by accident" and the US needs to make the first step to resolve the "mis-trust" that Iran has for the US

And Obama is talking to HIM. But not Boehner. Our Dear Leader.

At any rate, if their is a government shutdown caused by Obama's veto of the legislation passed by our elected representatives, it will be over eventually and everyone will get their visas.

ME: A liberal living by choice in the most liberal state with my eyes wide open and my brain engaged.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

I know for those in the process this seems like some huge big deal...it is not.

There have been 17 government shutdowns in the history of the USA. The Democrats forced 9 of them during the Reagan years, so Dems are the champions at them. Who cares. It is a political tactic and waht is shut down will be whatever will end the shutdown fastest...ie. create the most NOISE

They usually last a few days, a week or two tops. You are in a process that takes FOUR YEARS (the visa is the start, not the end) so it is really inconsequential. An RFE will set you back more than that, and no one dies over an RFE. Relax and get ready for when your SO gets here...that's when the easy part ends.rofl.gif

That's easy for you to say when you haven't been waiting 2 months for an interview appointment only to possibly have it delayed at the last minute. I worked hard on the petition to avoid an RFE, so this would go as fast and smooth as possible. I know the whole process takes years but the initial visa is the most important to me. Why? Because right now I'm separated from my love. Not all of us do well while waiting. I just want to live with my love and be done with the separation and each day is a little more of hell than the last. Weeks of delay is just going to make me more depressed.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Well...you can cancel everything and give up ...... or buck it up and wait. You have many options. Make a decision.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

That's easy for you to say when you haven't been waiting 2 months for an interview appointment only to possibly have it delayed at the last minute. I worked hard on the petition to avoid an RFE, so this would go as fast and smooth as possible. I know the whole process takes years but the initial visa is the most important to me. Why? Because right now I'm separated from my love. Not all of us do well while waiting. I just want to live with my love and be done with the separation and each day is a little more of hell than the last. Weeks of delay is just going to make me more depressed.

Its easy for me to say because I have been through the entire process. We waited 3 months for a visa interview. So what? I took 4 months getting all the documents in order to file the I-129f, so what? No RFEs for anything for 3 people, 4 people if you count the approved IR-5 for my MIL that she decided not to use.but took more than a year to process.

I was never depressed about having found a wonderful and beautiful woman to spend the rest of my life with. Good grief.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Well...you can cancel everything and give up ...... or buck it up and wait. You have many options. Make a decision.

Thank you Phil. I know you had a lot of difficulty not of your own making and you and Alla were grownups about it. Her citizenship should be coming up now...good luck. Hope you and the family are all well.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

My husband and I have been waiting 3 years to be together and his interview is October 2nd. I pray they do not shut down the embassies.

NOA 1 November 15, 2010

NOA 2 August 25, 2011

Closed NVC Ocotber 11, 2011

Interview Date: January 12,2012

Thank you my wonderful God in Heaven.

You know that everyone on here has gone through the waiting period or is currently waiting. You just have to be patient. WE all have been through it and it will become a minor event over time. Relax and let the process work. Prepare yourself for the arrival and keep busy with your preparation plans. The time will go sooner if you keep busy. Before you know it, you will be off to the airport to pick someone up or to fly to see them for the trip back to America.good.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I wouldn't worry about it.

The shutdown is stopping discretionary spending. Your application fees cover all the processing that needs to be done, so they will not shut down processing. You and everyone else are paying for it. And embassy services for Americans is essential, so they wouldn't shut that down unless there is a war starting with that country or the ties between the countries are being restricted (like for example with Iran).

Also, if you won't take my word for it, read here:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/29/us-government-shutdown-services-affected

The State Department would continue processing foreign applications for visas and US applications for passports, since fees are collected to finance those services. Embassies and consulates overseas would continue to provide services to American citizens.

So go through with your plans, you have nothing to worry about.

Timeline

I voted for Reagan. The only Republican I ever voted for. I did also vote for Phil Graham in Texas but he was a Democrat when I initially voted for him then he switched parties.

Other than that, I have never voted Republican.I have no interest to live in a Red State (even though I was born in one) but it is painfully obvious that it is Obama that refuses to negotiate with anyone but terrorists, dictators and nuclear criminals. Today we get the wonderful news that he will VETO the legislation that was PASSED to prevent the government shutdown. WHO is causing the shut down?

We also hear news today that Iran will negotiate with Obama IF he lifts the sanctions placed on them for enriching uranium to "weapons grade" against UN resolutions. Their foreign minister today said that they only did so "by accident" and the US needs to make the first step to resolve the "mis-trust" that Iran has for the US

And Obama is talking to HIM. But not Boehner. Our Dear Leader.

At any rate, if their is a government shutdown caused by Obama's veto of the legislation passed by our elected representatives, it will be over eventually and everyone will get their visas.

ME: A liberal living by choice in the most liberal state with my eyes wide open and my brain engaged.

For those who wish a balanced description of the issues and more importantly why politicians act the way they do. It's one of the more balanced and fair articles I've read , because it doesn't try to convince you on how you should think. (one brief page)

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/Decoder-Wire/2013/0927/Budget-bill-booted-back-to-House.-Just-shut-down-government-already

--/--/---- -

05/13/2019 - N400 online submission

Timeline
Consular operations will continue if the government shuts down, which means that people would be able to get visas and passports. However, there is an exception is for passport offices that are located in buildings that are otherwise shutdown, so some people may see delays in their applications. Travel plans for State Department personnel will mostly be put on hold, as will all new employment offers. The State Department has not released exact numbers of furloughs, but in previous shutdowns, furloughs were felt more heavily at the department's headquarters in Washington than at posts overseas. The State Department contingency plan did not list the total or furloughed number of employees at the department.

This is from here: http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/09/politics/government-shutdown-impact/index.html?sr=sharebar_facebook

I am thinking the "VISAS" are what we are all concerned with.

Edited by Kpcrocker

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The Ukraine consulate has the following on their site, so I assume the same would apply to other consulates (apparently the Moscow one hasn't bothered putting up any messaging regarding the shutdown at all):

• October 1, 2013

Fee-funded activities, including visa and passport issuance, and U.S. citizen services abroad, will continue since fees are collected to finance these services.

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

Filed: Other Country: Swaziland
Timeline

So- yep! Thank you to everyone for helping and all the advice and discussion. I had really spotty internet while in Moscow but I'm home now, and yes everything was open and working. We were at the embassy for about an hour and a half and left overly joyous because our K-1 was APPROVED!!!!!

dancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gif

Open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur.

-Abraham Lincoln.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.