BastillaShan

Embassy Interview and the Thread of Government Shutdown

54 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Swaziland
Timeline

So, Maria and I are scheduled for her IOM medical on Monday the 30th and her interview at the Embassy on the 2nd of October.

With the threat of government shutdown looming (as well as tickets and hotel that are non-refundable), we're going to just go and hope for the best.

My question is, should something happen that would shut down the Embassy has anyone ever had experience with the Moscow Embassy? What possible avenues would need to be taken to reschedule? Would we need to do the IOM medical again?

We're absolutely both freaking out right now because I suspect that whatever decision will be made, will be made at midnight on the 30th just to make sure every single political theatric that can be wrangled- is.

We were both nervous but confident about our interview, but now we're both terrified that this is going to go put up yet another barrier in our journey to be together.

Open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur.

-Abraham Lincoln.

Timeline

the govements not going to shut down the president wont let them and they better not because our interview is the 1st

I'll hope for both of us, then. Sadly this one isn't in the President's hands.

-Abraham Lincoln.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

But isn't he supposed to privide leadership?

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

I'd prefer not to turn this into a political debate... that's what's causing this to begin with :(

I'm really just curious if anyone knows what I should do -if- this happens.

-Abraham Lincoln.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The medical is good for a year. Other than that, if the Embassy shuts down, you wait.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The medical is good for a year. Other than that, if the Embassy shuts down, you wait.

Exactly. The medical is valid for one year for the interview AND adjustment of status.

If the government shuts down you reschedule when the consulate re-opens. THEY will have worked out how to handle that, you just call them. It will delay the process a little bit. It happens.

Government "shut downs" do not affect what are determined to be "essential" functions. I kind of doubt issuing fiancee visas will fall into "essential functions" but who knows? If it happens, call the consulate and find out if they are doing visas.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Baron! How are you doing? Isn't Alla coming up for citizenship soon? How is Leonid?

Gary And Alla

I'd prefer not to turn this into a political debate... that's what's causing this to begin with sad.png

I'm really just curious if anyone knows what I should do -if- this happens.

I would suggest you write a email to the embassy asking them if a government shutdown should occur as a result of a budget problem, will the embassy still honor its commitment to meet scheduled appointments. Even with a government shutdown as is possible, the U.S. government can not shut everything. Also, these types of things take days or weeks to filter down. The current situation is basically an increase in the government's level of borrowing, so all it would mean is they can't borrow anymore to run operations. There can be short term savings conducted by the President to ease the credit crunch such as delaying payments to employees of the government like senators, congressman, staff and the thousands of other employees or maybe just stop paying some defense contractors for 30 days. That would release multi-millions of dollars.

So, don't worry! good.gif

Timeline

One should not lead off with political comments if one does not want to make it political.

This is as much in Obama's hands as anyone else's and there is nothing "sad" about it.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

One should not lead off with political comments if one does not want to make it political.

This is as much in Obama's hands as anyone else's and there is nothing "sad" about it.

*sigh* I wasn't trying to make this political. My understanding was that the House of Representatives and Senate were not willing to compromise (i.e. House has crafted a plan that the Senate will not approve.) on a plan that would ultimately be sent to the President for approval.

I wasn't not making this Republicans vs Democrats regardless of how I might feel.

I really really just wanted to know how I should proceed. But thank you for the condescension all the same. sad.png

Edited by jclink

-Abraham Lincoln.

Timeline

I would suggest you write a email to the embassy asking them if a government shutdown should occur as a result of a budget problem, will the embassy still honor its commitment to meet scheduled appointments. Even with a government shutdown as is possible, the U.S. government can not shut everything. Also, these types of things take days or weeks to filter down. The current situation is basically an increase in the government's level of borrowing, so all it would mean is they can't borrow anymore to run operations. There can be short term savings conducted by the President to ease the credit crunch such as delaying payments to employees of the government like senators, congressman, staff and the thousands of other employees or maybe just stop paying some defense contractors for 30 days. That would release multi-millions of dollars.

So, don't worry! good.gif

Everything you say is true. However in political terms, the parts of government shut down will be those that generate the most "noise" to get what politicians want. For example, there was absolutely no need to furlough air traffic controllers because they did not get as big an increase in operating funds as they wanted. CURRENT operations could have remained exactly as is. But snarling up air traffic is sure to generate complaints to congress people and move the situation in a direction some other politician wants.

while a budget impasse carries no REAL threat of immediate shut down for budget purposes (you are correct) they WILL immediately shut some things down to hold us hostage for what they want.

Whether that is overseas consulates or not depends on who is calling the shots in the chess game. That would be Obama in the case of Executive Departments such as DOS. He may decide to shut down NVC and not overseas consulates, which means they could process the cases they have but get no new ones.

Who knows? Nice to fantasize that politics have nothing to do with something that is entirely political. You are figuring this like you would your own budget at home "Honey, If I do not get as big a raise as we expected we will still be able to do everything we normally do" "If we do not get the increase in our credit line, we can still pay the electric bill" all true.

Politicians don't work like that. They squeeze people to get what they want. They squeeze where it hurts most so you scream louder and longer.

While K-1 visas are not essential, they are also not likely to generate much noise, so they may be spared

Gary And Alla

Timeline

While K-1 visas are not essential, they are also not likely to generate much noise, so they may be spared

On this... I am really really hoping you're exactly right.

-Abraham Lincoln.

Timeline

*sigh* I wasn't trying to make this political. My understanding was that the House of Representatives and Senate were not willing to compromise (i.e. House has crafted a plan that the Senate will not approve.) on a plan that would ultimately be sent to the President for approval.

I wasn't not making this Republicans vs Democrats regardless of how I might feel.

I really really just wanted to know how I should proceed. But thank you for the condescension all the same. sad.png

I answered your question first.

this IS a political process, you cannot pretend politics do not exist in this subject. The entire result and what you will have to do is based in political manuevering and nothing else.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I answered your question first.

this IS a political process, you cannot pretend politics do not exist in this subject. The entire result and what you will have to do is based in political manuevering and nothing else.

My apologies then if I misunderstood where you were coming from. I thought you were chastising me for asking 'not to make it a political discussion' which was in response to the loaded Obama question. I really just didn't want this to turn into bickering (Which i'm now fostering inadvertently). So I'll just say thank you for some of the really good advice here and be on my way. Thanks guys!

-Abraham Lincoln.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.