254 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

How Would a Government Shutdown Affect Immigration Cases?

There is no simple answer to this question, as some federal government agencies would continue to operate, some would close partially and some would close almost completely. Since the last time this kind of shutdown happened was 15 years ago, there are no clear rules and guidance as to what would remain open and what would close. With respect to immigration, it appears that there would be some disruptions to pending cases and upcoming filings. Generally, the government is likely to stop all non-essential, all non-self-funded and all non-contractually funded services.

USCIS Cases

Since USCIS is funded primarily through application fees, it is expected that most of its services and centers would operate normally, perhaps with slightly diminished staff. Because USCIS is a government agency which relies on other government agencies to perform its services, there may be certain disruptions; however, overall, case processing at USCIS is expected to resume. Border processing of immigrants and border enforcement activities would continue as they are deemed “essential.”

Department of State – No (or Slow) Visa Applications; Visa Bulletin Uncertain; NVC Processing Could Continue

The Department of State (DOS) is expected to to cease non-emergency visa services and non-US citizen services at U.S. Consular Posts abroad. As a result, no new visas are expected to be issued and visa application interviews are likely to be cancelled (or postponed). U.S. passport applications will not be accepted and processing of submitted applications is likely to be put on hold.

As a comparison, according to data from the Congressional Research Service Report, during the last shutdown in 1995, approximately 20,000 – 30,000 visas went unprocessed each day and 200,000 applications for U.S. passports went unprocessed.

Conclusion

While the full extent of the federal government shutdown (if it were to happen over the next WEEKS) is unknown; we can anticipate some disruptions to government services affecting immigrants. Perhaps more severe would be the disruptions to visa applications at U.S. Consular Posts abroad, followed by delays or inability to file H-1B and/or PERM labor certifications. While some of these affected cases would be able to withstand delay, there would be a number of urgent visa or petition cases which would need to be filed or processed. The shutdown would also create a significant increase in the processing time backlogs for almost all immigration cases.

" I told you before politics and love are not mixing "

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to General Immigration-Related Discussion Forum~

~commentary is applicable to many visa types~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Other Country: Swaziland
Timeline

We're doing our K1 Interview in Moscow on the Second.

At this point all we can do is pray that they will be open for interviews.

Open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur.

-Abraham Lincoln.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

"....as some federal government agencies would continue to operate, some would close partially and some would close almost completely. Since the last time this kind of shutdown happened was 15 years ago, there are no clear rules and guidance as to what would remain open and what would close. With respect to immigration, it appears that there would be some disruptions to pending cases and upcoming filings. Generally, the government is likely to stop all non-essential, all non-self-funded and all non-contractually funded services."

http://www.laborimmigration.com/2013/09/government-shutdown-and-immigration-how-will-it-affect-me-september-2013-edition/

This quote really scared me. Will the government 'shut down' on Oct.1?

If so, how will it affect our pending cases??

My Igoroshka and mine's i-129F pending case is in Texas.....still waiting on our NOA2!!!!!!

What will happen, any insight????

"....as some federal government agencies would continue to operate, some would close partially and some would close almost completely. Since the last time this kind of shutdown happened was 15 years ago, there are no clear rules and guidance as to what would remain open and what would close. With respect to immigration, it appears that there would be some disruptions to pending cases and upcoming filings. Generally, the government is likely to stop all non-essential, all non-self-funded and all non-contractually funded services."

http://www.laborimmigration.com/2013/09/government-shutdown-and-immigration-how-will-it-affect-me-september-2013-edition/

My Igoroshka and mine's i-129F pending case is in Texas.....still waiting on our NOA2!!!!!!

I hope not. My fiance I-129F for my K-1 visa is in Texas as well. Just be a positive, star_smile.gif

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Fantastic! The US government shuts down the one service that is paid for by the people that use the service.

Welcome to America!

What a bunch of BS.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. 

-John Kenneth Galbraith

Timeline

5-13-2013 - I129-F Send Express to Texas

5-15-2013 - I129-F Delivered and signed for in Lewisville Texas at USCIS

5-17-2013 - NOA1

5-20-2013 - Check Cashed USCIS

8-01-2013 - NOA2  (76 Days from NOA1)

9-20-2013 - NVC received!

10-7-2013  - Received at embassy Manila (17 days from receiving at NVC)

10-21-2013 - Passed Medical

10-25-2013 - Interview scheduled

10-25-2013 - Administrative Review

11-5-2013  -  Approved

11-13-2013 - Visa received

11-19-2013 - Leaving to PI

12-3-2013 - POE Seattle WA

12-14-2013 - Wedding Ruston Washington.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

There is no way to tell if the government will shutdown or not at this point. Government agencies have begun preparations just in case it does happen. If the government does shutdown, immigration cases will be affected.

ok just got this from cnn.com hope this makes us breath a little easier..i know how you all feel..we are on the last part of the nvc process..three weeks will be a year we have been doing this crazy processing..

Washington (CNN) -- [breaking news at 1:25 p.m.]

The Senate voted unanimously on Wednesday to move ahead on a spending plan needed to avoid a government shutdown next week, with Republicans, including Sen. Ted Cruz, unexpectedly reversing themselves after previously trying to block the measure over their objection to spending for Obamacare.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yeah, the Republicans are scared shitless that the shutdown will be blamed entirely on them (which it would be) and they're already in such dire straits following the last election that they realize that they need a pretty safe last 4 Obama years to even have a fighting chance of winning back the presidency in the next election. I don't think we have much to worry about, it all amounts to a lot of stick-waiving at each other by members of Congress, a game of chicken, if you will. Obamacare won't be defunded, and I don't foresee our cases being stalled at any rate, really. Not when they've just gone out of their way to start catching up.

Alex(US) & Stela(Brazil)

I-129F Packet Sent - 06/19/2013

I-129F Packet Delivered to Dallas Box - 06/21/2013

NOA1 Electronic Notice, Packet to VSC - 06/25/2013

USCIS Check Cashed - 06/26/2013

Received Hard Copy NOA1 - 6/28/2013

Notification of Case Transfer to TSC - 08/09/2013

Received Hard Copy of Case Transfer to TSC - 08/14/2013

Electronic Notification of NOA2 - 9/17/2013 - 85 days!

Electronic Notification of Shipment to NVC - 9/18/2013

Hard Copy NOA-2 (I-797) - 9/21/2013

NVC Received - 9/25/2013

NVC Shipped - 10/1/2013

Received at Embassy in Rio de Janeiro - 10/8/2013

Beneficiary Received Instructions & Interview Date - 10/15/2013

Going to visit for the interview!!! - 12/7/2013

Interview at Rio de Janeiro!!! - 12/10/2013

Coming back to the U.S. with my baby to get married!!! - 12/30/2013

Time to K-1 Petition Approval - 85 days

Time from Petition to Interview - 168 days

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

USCIS is self funded. DOS (NVC and Consulates) are not. But they will shut down the services which generate the most "noise" from voters to get theur way. The last time this was threatened, our friedns at the USCIS VSC told us they were told not to report for work if the government "shut down" even though they are (supposedly) self funded.

The answer is...no one knows.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from K-1 Process to General Immigration-Related Discussion- topic covers more than just the K-1 ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm sorry but do you mind searching the forum first before posting a new dramatic development story? This has been discussed all over the place here already with the same link.

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.