VolcarSS

US Government Shutdown

42 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Jamaica
Timeline

A question for all the VJ petition experts. In the event that there is a US Government shutdown come October 1, 2013, how will it impact on NVC's visa processing?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I'm no expert, but my guess is the NVC, because they are contractors, will still work. DOS and the embassies will not, though, except for critical functions (in other words, no visa interviews or issuance).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

A question for all the VJ petition experts. In the event that there is a US Government shutdown come October 1, 2013, how will it impact on NVC's visa processing?

Here is what the public might expect if the federal government is forced into a partial shutdown:

FEDERAL WORKERS

Employees in all three branches of government are vulnerable to furlough, or temporary unpaid leave, although each agency makes its own final decisions, according to a report last month by the Congressional Research Service.

However, some high-level employees, such as the president and presidential appointees, are not subject to furlough. Other so-called "essential" workers must work during a shutdown, some with and others without pay.

For example, exempt workers include those whose work is critical for national security or public health and safety, such as air traffic controllers and border security agents, according to federal guidance.

Affected workers may be able to receive pay retroactively, as has happened after past shutdowns, but such payments are not guaranteed, CRS staff said.

About 800,000 federal workers were furloughed in November 1995; the next month, nearly 300,000 were furloughed and another nearly 500,000 worked without pay.

Federal contractors are also likely to be affected. In the last shutdown, more than 20 percent of federal contracts, or nearly $4 billion, were involved, researchers said.

Members of Congress cannot be furloughed, according to CRS.

TOURISM AND TRAVEL

Tens of thousands of Americans' passport applications could go unprocessed along with visa applications from foreigners seeking to visit the United States, which will affect airlines and other related industries.

Hundreds of National Park Service sites could close temporarily along with national monuments and museums, losing millions of visitors. Such closures can also impact neighboring communities and businesses that depend on tourism.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Timeline

I'm no expert, but my guess is the NVC, because they are contractors, will still work. DOS and the embassies will not, though, except for critical functions (in other words, no visa interviews or issuance).

I agree on the impact within DOS...even if NVC is staffed by contractors how will they be paid?

My best guess is a shut-down (and it's becoming more likely by the day) will be relatively short, maybe a week. That said agencies are already preparing for the shutdown, meaning it's already likely to start impacting things. And, it will take time to get things restarted.

Surely it can't be a good thing. We still have to pay taxes though, even if they can't figure out how to play nice long enough to keep government running.

:(

Filed: IR-5 Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks for all the input folks they are greatly appreciated & I found them very informative. By the way, I found a 2011 article (see link below) that I think is still relevant to the current situation.

http://www.cilawgroup.com/news/2011/04/07/government-shutdown-and-immigration-how-will-it-affect-me/

Edited by VolcarSS

Timeline

I agree on the impact within DOS...even if NVC is staffed by contractors how will they be paid?

My best guess is a shut-down (and it's becoming more likely by the day) will be relatively short, maybe a week. That said agencies are already preparing for the shutdown, meaning it's already likely to start impacting things. And, it will take time to get things restarted.

Surely it can't be a good thing. We still have to pay taxes though, even if they can't figure out how to play nice long enough to keep government running.

sad.png

Well, as contractors they have a choice to keep working or not. They may or may not get reimbursed if they do decide to keep working, but given that they appear to have a pretty big backlog of cases I think it would make sense for them to keep working and have a chance to catch up at least a little bit!

A shutdown will likely be a few days at most - neither side looks good when that happens.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

US govt shutting down??? I've never heard of this before and it's happening when we are inches away from getting our visa??? This has got to be a joke. I didn't know my luck was this bad...

Govt shutdown?!

Established: 01/07/07

Married: 09/20/14

heart.gif I'll buy you rogaine, when you start losing all your hair wub.png

========================================================

SOCIAL MEDIA

Facebook

+ Kit: http://www.facebook.com/kitsalbinoteodosio

+ Richard: http://www.facebook.com/richard.teodosio

Instagram

+ Kit: itsmekit

+ Richard: richteodosio

Twitter

+ Kit: KIT_RJST

Youtube

+ Kit: http://www.youtube.com/user/kits671

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Government contractors are not allowed to work (and will not be given the option to work) if they can't be paid because the government cannot accept work by anyone without paying them for their services. It would considered a gift and is not allowed per the Ethics rules of all US government agencies.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

US govt shutting down??? I've never heard of this before and it's happening when we are inches away from getting our visa??? This has got to be a joke. I didn't know my luck was this bad...

It is all about petty arguments between the Republicans and the Democrats - the two major political parties in the US.

The Republicans are very hostile towards the Affordable Care Act (also known as "Obamacare"), a law that helps lower income people, as well as people who are not currently working, to have medical insurance.

There needs to be a rise in the debt ceiling (how much debt the US can carry) in order to continue to pay people - and the Republicans have decided that they will NOT vote to raise the ceiling unless all the money that was to be budgeted for the Affordable Care Act is thrown out. In other words, the ACA is being held hostage.

The Republicans threaten to "shut down the government", but they really will hurt a lot of people if they do, and they do NOT want to hurt their Party's reputation.

So it is really a pissing contest (sorry if this offends, but the pettiness of it all is hard to believe) between Obama and his party (Democrats) and the Republicans.

Quite frankly, I do not think it will happen. We went through this last January, and there was a "last minute deal" that saved everything. I think the politicians have "cried wolf" too often. I may be wrong, but we'll see....

Sukie (USC)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

It is all about petty arguments between the Republicans and the Democrats - the two major political parties in the US.

The Republicans are very hostile towards the Affordable Care Act (also known as "Obamacare"), a law that helps lower income people, as well as people who are not currently working, to have medical insurance.

There needs to be a rise in the debt ceiling (how much debt the US can carry) in order to continue to pay people - and the Republicans have decided that they will NOT vote to raise the ceiling unless all the money that was to be budgeted for the Affordable Care Act is thrown out. In other words, the ACA is being held hostage.

The Republicans threaten to "shut down the government", but they really will hurt a lot of people if they do, and they do NOT want to hurt their Party's reputation.

So it is really a pissing contest (sorry if this offends, but the pettiness of it all is hard to believe) between Obama and his party (Democrats) and the Republicans.

Quite frankly, I do not think it will happen. We went through this last January, and there was a "last minute deal" that saved everything. I think the politicians have "cried wolf" too often. I may be wrong, but we'll see....

Sukie (USC)

Thanks Sukie. My dad is big on politics and told me this threat has been going on for a long time and he doubts the Oct. 1st one is real. I just hope they realize how much it's going to hurt everyone before the make any dramatic decisions. Yes our visas will be delayed, but so many other things will be nagatively effected, including people's pay checks!!

As far as I know, the Congress was given until Sept. 30 to finish the budget. If they dont meet this, everything can only run smoothly until December. After that, then shutdown happens.. they are willing to shutdown everything because of Obamacare. Regardless if people dont get paid on time and how this massively affects everyone. They don't really care much about mouths people need to feed. Their pockets and banks are filled with money anyway.

Talked to my fiance about it cause I know the military dont get paid on time either if this happens. He said "they threatened government shutdowns so many times already. Is it for real now? I dont think so. Not worried over it."

Pissing contest is right. They're trying to be the bigger bully over each other.

Edited by iammrsregi

Timeline

Government contractors are not allowed to work (and will not be given the option to work) if they can't be paid because the government cannot accept work by anyone without paying them for their services. It would considered a gift and is not allowed per the Ethics rules of all US government agencies.

That depends on the type of contract signed with the government. Fixed-price contracts are generally funded when the contract is made effective, so contractors can continue to do work as outlined in their contract. They may be told not to, though, by the contracting officer, particularly if the contracting officer feels that they will not have the staff to monitor performance.

My hope is that they're playing the brinksmanship game again, but I'm guessing there'll likely be a day or two of a shutdown, Congress will (again) get slaughtered by the public, and they'll pass another continuing resolution that will fund the government for maybe the next fiscal year, possibly even shorter than that. Then there's always the debt ceiling issue after they resolve the budget...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.