zttrszPwCmp

BINATIONAL SAME SEX COUPLES !! Show up!

1,174 posts in this topic

We may be a minority but I was wondering if there are any binational same-sex couples on this forum. We all know the hardship we have to go through in order to reunite with our beloved one and have the same rights as hetero couples.

Me and my fiancée have just started filling the petition.

Where are you from?

Since when have you been in relationship?

Which petition are you applying for?

*** moved to General Immigration Discussion from K1 process and procedures ***

***also removed duplicate topic in separate forum... please only start one post per topic... if you need it moved use the "report" button :) ***

Edited by NikiR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

We may be a minority but I was wondering if there are any binational same-sex couples on this forum. We all know the hardship we have to go through in order to reunite with our beloved one and have the same rights as hetero couples.

Me and my fiancée have just started filling the petition.

Where are you from?

Since when have you been in relationship?

Which petition are you applying for?

We submitted our I-130 (we met in December 2006 and married in March 2013) on June 27th, the day after DOMA fell! We've received our NOA1 at this point, but I know we're in for a wait now.

I'm a USC and my partner is Australian.

I know there are others of us here!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Good to know ! Best fate for us all eb0dfafc.gif Sit back and watch

We submitted our I-130 (we met in December 2006 and married in March 2013) on June 27th, the day after DOMA fell! We've received our NOA1 at this point, but I know we're in for a wait now.

I'm a USC and my partner is Australian.

I know there are others of us here!

Very nice of you! thank you very much !! and best of luck for you also

Also not a same sex couple but nonetheless so happy that everyone is now able to go through the same stupidly long and needlessly expensive process we get to go through (I'm totally not jaded at all with it >.<) to be with our foreign spouses and companions. Best of luck to you, you deserve to be together just as much as anyone else and I'm glad the US government finally recognizes that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good luck to everyone in the same situation! I spent 2 or 3 days pinching myself after doma was struck down! May we all be permanently united with our loved one soon!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Los Angeles couple here!! I am the Australian half of a same-sex binational couple.

Partner and I got married at City Hall on July 1st. I am already in the US and will be adjusting status based on marriage.

This is so exciting, my husband and I have been waiting years for this!!!! :)

N-400 Application for Naturalization

07/15/16 - N-400 and supporting documents sent to Phoenix via FedEx

07/17/16 - Earliest accepted filing date

07/18/16 - Package delivered to Phoenix

07/21/16 - Check cashed

07/25/16 - NOA received via USPS (dated 07/21/16)

07/26/16 - Biometrics appointment notice available online

08/10/16 - Biometrics appointment

02/24/16 - Online status change to "Interview Scheduled"

02/27/17 - Interview appointment notice available online

03/31/17 - N-400 interview at Los Angeles office - Recommended for approval
03/31/17 - Online status change to "Oath Ceremony Scheduled"
04/03/17 - Oath ceremony notice available online

04/18/17 - Oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My partner and I have been together for over 2 years waiting for this day. I filed for 129f. They received July 08 and sent my acceptance letter out July 12. My app went to California. My partner is Filippino and is working in Canada. I know I have met all criteria and dotted every I and crossed every T so lets see what happens.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

My wife and I have been together for three years, and married since last September (2012). We got married in New York. I am from France, where same sex marriage has only become legal this June. We live in San Diego. We have everything ready for my adjustment of status (from f-1 student to permanent resident) and I-130, but were advised by the DOMA project team, to see a lawyer first. We are seeing him tomorrow (in LA), since they are offering pro bono consultations for binational same sex couples. Hopefully we did everything right and can send our application this week, finally! Such a relief!

AOS timeline: adjusting from F-1 (I-130, 485, 765, 131)
09/18/2013 I-130/I-485 packet sent to Chicago lockbox
09/20/2013 (day 1) Delivered
09/25/2013 (day 6) 4 NOAs texts and emails received
10/02/2013 (day 13) 4 NOAs (I-797C) hard copies received
10/03/2013 (day 14) Biometrics appointment letter received (October 21 appt)
10/03/2013 Successful biometrics walk in in San Marcos, CA (3:10pm, no wait)
10/21/2013 (day 32) Original biometrics appointment
10/31/2013 (day 42) I-485 status changed to "testing and interview" (text and email at 6:45am)
11/05/2013 (day 47) Received text and email (4:15am!) with date of interview: December 10, 2013
11/07/2013 (day 49) Received hard copy of interview letter dated Nov 1
11/20/2013 (day 61) Received text and email (12pm) about EAD in production / case update online for AP too.
11/25/2013 (day 66) received text and email (1:45pm): EAD card mailed
11/29/2013 (day 70) received combo card EAD/AP (sent priority with tracking)
12/03/2013 (day 75) went to Social Security office to order ssn
12/07/2013 (day 79) received social security card
12/10/2013 (day 82) AOS Interview in San Diego, CA at 8:35am - APPROVED!
12/11/2013 (day 83) Green card in production (received email at 7:33am)
12/14/2013 (day 86) Welcome letter and I-130 approval notice received
12/16/2013 (day 88) Green card mailed, tracking number

12/18/2013 (day 90) Green card received!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

My wife and I have been together for three years, and married since last September (2012). We got married in New York. I am from France, where same sex marriage has only become legal this June. We live in San Diego. We have everything ready for my adjustment of status (from f-1 student to permanent resident) and I-130, but were advised by the DOMA project team, to see a lawyer first. We are seeing him tomorrow (in LA), since they are offering pro bono consultations for binational same sex couples. Hopefully we did everything right and can send our application this week, finally! Such a relief!

good luck! I hope you can share with us your lawyer's advice. smile.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Hello! I am from England and my wife is from the US. I came to the US on a F1 visa in 2010 and then met my now-wife while studying in Minnesota. We got married in Iowa on May 31st. We cried in happiness for hours when SCOTUS announced that DOMA was unconstitutional! The decision came 2 days after my OPT visa expired!! I sent off the I-30 and 1-485 AOS packet last week and USCIS received it today! I know it will probably be a long wait, but we are so happy that it became a possibility for us and other same-sex couples. Great to hear from other same-sex binational couples on here, too!

AOS Timeline

Day 1 - 7/23/13 - USCIS received my application
Day 6 - 7/29/13 - Received emails and texts
Day 10 - 8/2/13 - Received NOAs in the mail

Day 22 - 8/14/13 - Received appt date for 8/19/13 in the mail

Day 27 - 8/19/13 - Biometrics completed at Saint Paul, MN Service Center

Day 43 - 9/4/13 - Online Status of 1-485 changed to "Testing and Interview"

Day 47 - 9/8/13 - Letter sent saying appointment is on 10/7/13

Day 57 - 9/18/13 - EAD/AP Card in production

Day 65 - 9/26/13 - Received EAD/AP Card!

Day 77 - 10/7/13 - AOS Interview completed

Day 77 - 10/7/13 - I130 and I485 Approved!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello everyone, I'm from Washington, DC and my fiance is from Goiania, Brazil. We met in August 2010 and waited patiently for the end of DOMA so that we could finally begin the immigration process like any other bi-national couple. Happily, we mailed our I-129F petition on July 3, 2013, and received an NOA1 dated July 10, 2013. The petition is now in process at the Vermont Service Center. If all goes well, we will be dealing down the road with the U.S. consulate in Rio de Janeiro, and the consulate-specific information on this site has been invaluable in understading the process and what to expect. We'd love to hear form other same-sex couples who are going through the fiance visa process in Brazil, as one would think that there would be a number of such applications over the next few months. Thanks to everyone for the excellent information that has been compiled on this site.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.