melbi&clint

AOS approved and received 10 year green card today

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I received my green card today and so happy! :) , then the expiration year is on 2023 . Should I call them and ask about this? I've been married for over to 2 years when my AOS was approved. I need some advice on what to ask before making a phone call to them. Thank You!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

I thought I supposed to get the 2 year GC since I filed for AOS not the ROC.

Being married for Over 2 years when you file AOS = 10 Year Green Card!

Being married for Less than 2 years when you file for AOS = 2 year (conditional) Green Card!

Congrats again smile.png

Edited by KASH2011

Filed: Timeline

congrats

Timeline (concurrent I-130, I-485, & I-765)

7/15/2013 - sent package via USPS express mail to Chicago FABS

7/16/2013 - package delivered

7/18/2013 - received acceptance emails and text

7/22/2013 - received notice of acceptance

7/27/2013 - received biometrics notice

7/31/2013 - walked-in biometrics. It was scheduled on Aug 13.

8/27/2013 - I485 changed to Testing and Interview.

I received my green card today and so happy! smile.png , then the expiration year is on 2023 . Should I call them and ask about this? I've been married for over to 2 years when my AOS was approved. I need some advice on what to ask before making a phone call to them. Thank You!

Congrats, but I would make an INFOpass appointment as you were on a K-1 visa and there is this little catch-22 with the K-1 and being married over 2 years. Per the laws of the K-1 visa you MUST file for ROC as you get a CR6 catagory with the K-1 which is a conditional residency. Now someone married for more than 2 years qualifies for IR status. So what does some one who uses the K-1 and is married for more than 2 years qualify for? The only reason I say to make an INFOpass apointment and make certain you get their decision in writting is that in 2 years you may find your self in deportation proceedings because you failed to file for ROC even though you have a 10 year GC. It is the USCIS' mistake, but you will be held responsible for it and pay the consquences. So I would take the time now to make certain the 10 year GC is correct and document that just to CYA for the future. You do not want to discover this should you file for naturalization and they tell you that you are not a LRP and must leave the US and file a spousal visa in order to return.

Again congratulations,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you for the reply. I called them and the woman I spoke to said my card will expire 2023 and I am a permanent resident since July 1st ( the date my AOS was approved), She asked about my receipt # and she searched into their system and told me I have the right card.

Thank you for the reply. I called them and the woman I spoke to said my card will expire 2023 and I am a permanent resident since July 1st ( the date my AOS was approved), She asked about my receipt # and she searched into their system and told me I have the right card.

That's good, but to really CYA I would get that in writting and not have to say so and so that I called told me that I was to get the 10 year GC. If it was me, I would make an INFOpass appointment and not leave until they gave me a written statement stating that the 10- year GC is the correct card and that I do not have to file for ROC. That way in 2 years, I do not have to worry about it when they send me a letter stating that my LPR status has been revoked and I am being placed in deportation proceedings all becasue I did not file for ROC when my 2 year GC was to expire. I would take the time now to prevent a HUGE problem later. The biggest PITA about this is that if this does become a problem is it is their fault, but you are paying the penalty for their mistake. The other problem is that you are dealing with two conflicting laws that are open to interpretation.

Good luck,

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.