MattWatt

DV-2014 ranking & Visa Bulletin Numbers

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all. Hoping someone here can shed a ray of sunlight on my immigration hopes.

Having been selected for "further processing" for DV-2014, I've been quite hopeful to date. But with application processing and interview commencement fast approaching, I've started to doubt my hopeful outlook.

According to my selection confirmation letter, my DV ranking is in the (low) 2100's for Oceania (I'm in Australia).

In all reality, what's my likelyhood of getting a visa interview, given my ranking level?

I would have assumed that the visa bulletin numbers for a given region would have started the US financial year relatively high, then reduce as more visas are issued. However, looking at the Oct / Nov / Dec visa bulletins from previous years, this doesn't appear to be the case - with region numbers starting really low, and increasing throughout the year.

Any words of wisdom, or any rays of hope, would be greatlyu appreciated as our family is really looking forward to moving to the US.

2014OC000021**

Entry Checked: 02 May 2013
Forms Sent: Mid May 2013
Forms recieved by KCC: Early June 2013
2nd NL:
Documents:
Police Report:
Medical:
Interview:
Potential Entry: Dallas, TX

Timeline

Anyone? Anyne? Bueller?

2014OC000021**

2nd NL:
Documents:
Police Report:
Medical:
Interview:

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I was selected for DV-2014 and my number is 00088014 for Africa. Does this means that I have to wait until the number is above 88014 to apply?

You can apply, but I believe your application won't be processed (or you won't be considered for an interview) until your ranking number falls below the bulletin cutoff number.

2014OC000021**

2nd NL:
Documents:
Police Report:
Medical:
Interview:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

This year may close out much lower than the previous years as this may be the last or nearly the last chance. Previously many choose not to continue due to the economic issues in the US. Nigeria is limited to 5000 ( because I think 1/2 of Nigeria applies ) but each region starts at the lowest numbes and moves upward until either the year ends or that region finds enough qualified winners to fill that areas quota. This year is really hard to predict where the numbers will end up. Be certain that you as the winner meet the educational requirements of the visa. They are very very strict on this.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

I was selected for DV-2014 and my number is 00088014 for Africa. Does this means that I have to wait until the number is above 88014 to apply?

You've already "applied" by entering. Send in your documents to KCC. You wll only get called for interview when the number reaches yours, but you must already have sent your forms in. Please don't wait till your number is current before sending the forms, especially as with a high number like that your interview is likely to be quite late in the fiscal year - you don't want to run out of time and lose out as a result.

This year may close out much lower than the previous years as this may be the last or nearly the last chance. Previously many choose not to continue due to the economic issues in the US. Nigeria is limited to 5000 ( because I think 1/2 of Nigeria applies ) but each region starts at the lowest numbes and moves upward until either the year ends or that region finds enough qualified winners to fill that areas quota. This year is really hard to predict where the numbers will end up. Be certain that you as the winner meet the educational requirements of the visa. They are very very strict on this.

I see lots of people saying stuff like this, but I don't think it's very valid. For every winner over the years it's a chance they know may not be repeated. Most people who don't continue are either because they get rejected or can't afford the process - not because they think they can apply again when it suits them better. It's been over 10 years since a DV year ended without all numbers being current. The country limits are because no more than 7% of the total can come from a particular country, for dv2013 all numbers and all regions (and all countries within those) are current for September.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

There is no truth to the saying that "this maybe the last year of the DV. If you follow American politics, you would have noticed republicans wanted to end the DV and add the 550000 visas to the STEM program but Democrate objected to that because most STEM applicants come from Asia and that would especially put African at at a disadvantage. Even the president threaten to veto a bill with that provision. Now immigration reform is in the offing and no one knows if this will be a compromise Dems will have to make to get the bill passed. So it is premature to say that is the last year of the DV program. I personally believe it is not

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

There is no truth to the saying that "this maybe the last year of the DV. If you follow American politics, you would have noticed republicans wanted to end the DV and add the 550000 visas to the STEM program but Democrate objected to that because most STEM applicants come from Asia and that would especially put African at at a disadvantage. Even the president threaten to veto a bill with that provision. Now immigration reform is in the offing and no one knows if this will be a compromise Dems will have to make to get the bill passed. So it is premature to say that is the last year of the DV program. I personally believe it is not

People immigrate under the current requirements and fail to be successful. The program was created when the requirements meant you were fairly assured of a job in a good economy. Now DV lottery increases the welfare roles over the years. Time to trash the current program and up the bar. Use the visas for qualified STEM applicants with the same distribution.

Are you guys saying that I can send all the documents to change my status since I am already in The United States? I do qualify for the educational requirements because I will finish my master degree April of 2014. I am on F1 visa right now.

If you are still on an F1 when your number becomes current you can AOS.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

People immigrate under the current requirements and fail to be successful. The program was created when the requirements meant you were fairly assured of a job in a good economy. Now DV lottery increases the welfare roles over the years. Time to trash the current program and up the bar. Use the visas for qualified STEM applicants with the same distribution.

That is your opinion and you have not facts to support them. STEM is great but its a separate program from from the DV. Other politicians have proposed giving limited number of visa for the STEM program (staple a green card to any foreign graduate of STEM as one put it). The diversity of of the DV program is what makes it unique and that is why they called it such. STEM is not a diversity program. Its a skilled immigration program.

Talking of welfare role, did you even know you are npt eligible for any movement benefit for 5 years if you are a DV immigrant. That was meant to prevent DV immigrants from increasing welfare role. Again by their number, most people on welfare are whites (Caucasians) contrary to what public opinion will have you believe

That is your opinion and you have not facts to support them. STEM is great but its a separate program from from the DV. Other politicians have proposed giving limited number of visa for the STEM program (staple a green card to any foreign graduate of STEM as one put it). The diversity of of the DV program is what makes it unique and that is why they called it such. STEM is not a diversity program. Its a skilled immigration program.

Talking of welfare role, did you even know you are npt eligible for any movement benefit for 5 years if you are a DV immigrant. That was meant to prevent DV immigrants from increasing welfare role. Again by their number, most people on welfare are whites (Caucasians) contrary to what public opinion will have you believe

After 5 years dv applicants become citizens and can claim welfare. I don't know what the numbers are and I don't think talking about the race of welfare recipients is helpful (and anyway many dv winners are white so this doesn't prove or disprove anything).

What the US needs to grow in the longer term is skilled migrants - this is much more important than "diversity", this is why most countries in the world make it much easier for skilled than unskilled immigrants to immigrate. If they do keep the dv program I think they should raise the qualifying requirements - to be able to get in with just a high school diploma in today's world is, quite frankly, laughable. This is also very clearly illustrated if you look at the breakdown of US unemployment rates by skill level - there is a far higher rate of unemployment among those who only have high school than those who have been to college. And if you want your facts on this, see http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

After 5 years dv applicants become citizens and can claim welfare. I don't know what the numbers are and I don't think talking about the race of welfare recipients is helpful (and anyway many dv winners are white so this doesn't prove or disprove anything).

What the US needs to grow in the longer term is skilled migrants - this is much more important than "diversity", this is why most countries in the world make it much easier for skilled than unskilled immigrants to immigrate. If they do keep the dv program I think they should raise the qualifying requirements - to be able to get in with just a high school diploma in today's world is, quite frankly, laughable. This is also very clearly illustrated if you look at the breakdown of US unemployment rates by skill level - there is a far higher rate of unemployment among those who only have high school than those who have been to college. And if you want your facts on this, see http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

Susie, all what is expressed here is opinion . None of us are policy makers so we can't change nothing. Why don't we leave policy to the policy makers? My main point was that this is not the last year of the DV program as the initial post stated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.