lubnajavid

Payment of 165USD IV fee via USCIS - ELIS

65 posts in this topic

Good day, Just a quick question whats the average time that it takes for the GC and the SSN to delivered to your address in jamaica.... (providing you paid the US$165 IV fee ofcourse)

It will never be delivered to an address outside the USA. The point is that the green card holder enters the USA (called POE, point of entry) and then their "do not open" packet that accompanied their passport and visa needs to be handed into the CBP. The CBP officer will stamp the visa and thus endorses it. The visa now becomes a temporary green card for up to 1 year. The CBP will send your information to the USCIS who, after receiving your info, starts the production of the green card. Because the CBP log the beneficiary as now being in the USA that is supposed to update a system in which makes the SSN be sent automatically to the beneficiary should they have marked that on their DS-230 or DS-260. HOwever that system is greatly flawed and often the beneficiary must go to an SSA office to obtain an SSN.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

hi everyone,

made my POE via Charlotte, NC yesterday. As I was waiting in line to enter the US, i remembered i HADN'T PAID my ELIS fee!!! *freaked out horror face*

Anyways, I went through immigration, officer did not ask abt ELIS fee, signed and dated entry, got my passport back, and was told that the GC will be sent in 4-6 months. Is this normal? I'm not sure where to go next, apart from paying my ELIS fee online. When can I expect my SSN? Thanks for all your input!

Pay the fee ASAP online. If the USCIS gets the fee before they get your packet from the CBP you should be okay (the GC shouldn't be delayed.) CBP told me it would take 6-8 months to get my green card. Got it in a month ;) It normally takes 4-8 weeks. wink.png Expect the SSN within 2-3 weeks. If it hasn't shown up in 3 weeks, go to the local SSA office and apply for one there.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Pay the fee ASAP online. If the USCIS gets the fee before they get your packet from the CBP you should be okay (the GC shouldn't be delayed.) CBP told me it would take 6-8 months to get my green card. Got it in a month wink.png It normally takes 4-8 weeks. wink.png Expect the SSN within 2-3 weeks. If it hasn't shown up in 3 weeks, go to the local SSA office and apply for one there.

awesome, thanks! I paid it this morning, was not asked about the fee at POE yesterday, but I figured it'd be better to pay the fee ASAP so that was done. I hope it'll be sent soon!

• 4 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

So mine is different than what everyone else is describing here. My wife's number is already 9 digits long not including the A. When I type in the number A123456789 it says this:

• A-Number must start with letter ''A'' and the number ''0'' followed by eight (8) digits, example: A012345678

Can anyone help to explain what I am doing wrong here? Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.