Mrs.Presson

CFO Seminar in Manila (May 30, 2013)

108 posts in this topic

UPDATE: You guys can use your Passport as one of the valid ID's required. It is after all a government issued identification. Check out this post. His fiancee is the "Joan" I mentioned on my topic/thread post. Apparently, she just used her Passport AND Postal ID.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/433243-successful-cfo-in-manila/

I may have been mistaken...Joan had her nbi too...but passport and postal should count as government issued ids...again though the more you can bring the better! Remember that they look for different documents on a case by case basis...

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Is my 12 years old daughter need to attend for cfo?

This is from the CFO Website. To everyone else, please read the the requirements and FAQ's on the CFO Website as they are the primary source for information for these kind of questions. ;)

http://cfo.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1301:registration-and-pre-departure-services&catid=110:frequently-asked-questions&Itemid=858

All Filipino emigrants leaving the country to settle abroad permanently are required by law to register with CFO. No one is exempted from pre-departure registration.

But the following are not required to attend the pre-departure orientation seminar and to be personally present during the registration (they can also be registered by proxy):

* Minors 12 years old and below

* Senior citizens 60 years old and above

* Those with mental illness or psychiatric disability, and incapacitated due to permanent or long-term ailments

Note to everyone: Joan and I do not have our VISA's issued yet. Our Interviews are just coming up in June.

Basically, what we did is just the Guidance and Counseling Session, we are not technically "registered" yet. At least that's what I understand from the CFO Website Workflow and FAQ's. We only did Step 1. After visa issuance, we will have to go there to continue to STEP 3.

new_gcp_flyer.jpg

According to the FAQ's on the CFO Website these will be the requirements for STEP 3:

Filipino emigrants are required to present the following documents for registration:

* Original valid passport

* Original and photocopy of visa

* One (1) 2x2 or passport-size photograph

* One (1) valid identification card with photograph*

* Original and photocopy of Immigrant Data Summary (for USA-bound emigrant)*

* Original and photocopy of Confirmation of Permanent Residence (for Canada-bound emigrant)*

* Photocopy of Certificate of Eligibility (for Japan-bound emigrant)*

* Original and photocopy of letter of approval for Work to Residence visa (for New Zealand-bound emigrants)*

* Photocopy of employment contract (for immigrant workers)

* Duly completed registration form

* Payment of P400.00 registration fee

* Attendance in the PDOS, guidance counseling or peer counseling session

For youth emigrants aged 13 to 17, the following additional documents are also required:

* Photocopy of parent's passport or valid identification card, if accompanied by parent/s during registration

* Letter of authorization from parent/s authorizing the guardian to register the child on their behalf (if accompanied by guardian during registration)

* Original and photocopy of DSWD travel clearance

For children 12 years old and below, the following additional documents are required if the proxy is not the legal/natural/adoptive parent of the registrant.

* One(1) valid identification card with photograph of the proxy

* Special Power of Attorney or notarized authorization letter from the parent/s/ or guardian/s authorizing the proxy to register the minor children.

From: http://cfo.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1301:registration-and-pre-departure-services&catid=110:frequently-asked-questions&Itemid=858

Edited by Erika & Chris

• 2 weeks later...

hi, i saw from one post that you are a part of a group in fb. i wonder what's the name of the group in fb so i can join and hopefully i can get information i need in case i would be needing some later on.

btw, what you shared is very useful. gave me some ideas what i need to prepare or do by the time that i have to attend the CFO seminar.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I am a little bit confused about this.. My mother will have her interview on July 2nd so I told her to go to the CFO seminar to get it out of the way. When she arrived in Quirino office (that was last week), she was sent back and was told to come back when she gets her visa. They would not let her attend the seminar! I have read from a lot of people having the success of attending the seminar and coming back to get the sticker once the visa is issued. Did they change the policy? Do you have to have the visa before you attend the seminar?

Joan did not have her visa for the CFO in Manila. She returned for the sticker later....

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

That's what you mentioned in earlier post. Could it be because you are K1? My mom's is IR-5 visa. I will try to get her to go back there again, maybe there's a misunderstanding.

Note to everyone: Joan and I do not have our VISA's issued yet. Our Interviews are just coming up in June.

Basically, what we did is just the Guidance and Counseling Session, we are not technically "registered" yet. At least that's what I understand from the CFO Website Workflow and FAQ's. We only did Step 1. After visa issuance, we will have to go there to continue to STEP 3.

new_gcp_flyer.jpg

Hi everyone, I am a little bit confused about this.. My mother will have her interview on July 2nd so I told her to go to the CFO seminar to get it out of the way. When she arrived in Quirino office (that was last week), she was sent back and was told to come back when she gets her visa. They would not let her attend the seminar! I have read from a lot of people having the success of attending the seminar and coming back to get the sticker once the visa is issued. Did they change the policy? Do you have to have the visa before you attend the seminar?

Hi ladyheart2011,

Based on the flowchart from the CFO website, anybody who is applying for a passport or visa can undergo the counseling session. I'm not entirely sure if CFO changed their policies recently, but anything can happen in a month's time. This post was dated May 30th.

Yes, Joan and I are K1 applicants. As far as I know, this also applies to CR-1 Spouse Visa Applicants. We did not have our visas yet during that time.

Sorry to hear about your mom's experience.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

ladyheart2011

Your mom needs to present the following requirements:

http://www.cfo.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1347:for-filipinos-leaving-the-country-with-an-immigrant-visa&catid=139

If your mom is 60 years old and above, she is exempted from attending the seminar. She will just need to register and get the sticker.

Edited by apple21

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your mom needs to present the following requirements:

http://www.cfo.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1347:for-filipinos-leaving-the-country-with-an-immigrant-visa&catid=139

If your mom is 60 years old and above, she is exempted from attending the seminar. She will just need to register and get the sticker.

Its very possible that is the reason she was turned away and told to come back with her passport and visa.... she is exempt and therefore needs to have her passport with visa for them to affix the CFO sticker .

good.gif

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

just to note. I haven't noticed that a certificate is issued for attending PDOS. perhaps that's why the visa must be in hand and CFO is only a one day process for Emigrants, along with those exempted from attending PDOS.

Edited by sunandmoon

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

^Quite possibly what they all mentioned above.smile.png

This is review thread was posted specifically for fiance(e)'s and/or spouses (and was tagged as K1, IR-1 and CR-1). So, I apologize if I wouldn't be of much help to your situation, ladyheart.

Edited by Erika & Chris

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

CFO Manila

Citigold Center, 1345 Pres. Quirino Avenue

corner Osmeña Highway (South Superhighway)

Manila, Philippines 1007

-------------

I've been reading threads here on VJ.com saying that there are only 30 slots for Fiance(e)'s and Spouses everyday at the CFO HQ. I checked the website, it said 15 in the morning and 15 in the afternoon. Though it said it's country-specific and has "allocations" of 15 slots for each countries, I didn't want to risk it.

I got there at 4:15am. We were only 5 at the time, and we sat on the steps leading to the CFO entrance. I met Steve previously in a Facebook Group and learned from him that his fiancee, Joan, would be attending too. She got there at about 4:30am and immediately called her.

It was about 5am when people started to show up and one lady (I suppose she owns the "mini-store" outside CFO), told us to line up by the ramp instead. This is where fiance(e)'s and spouses line up. There would be separate lines for other types of immigrants. (So make sure you tell your fiance(e)'s to line up at the ramp.) It wasn't country-specific at all. Some people in line were fiancee's of European nationals.

CFO opened at about quarter to 7, but they only let the other immigrants in first. We were the last line to enter the building.

Also a REMINDER: Make sure to bring 2 valid GOVERNMENT ID's. Whether it's a Driver's License, Unified ID, SSS, PhilHealth, NBI Clearance. As long as it's a goverment issued ID, you won't get turned away. One lady was turned away because she only had one "valid" ID. They should've just stated that what they want are government ID's in the first place. Make sure you have at least 2 photocopies of it, just to be sure.

When I got inside, at the reception desk, I was only asked for my: Passport, 2 Valid ID's, Checked if I have my photocopy of those valid ID's, and I was given an ID with a Lanyard with a Pink "F" on it. For Fiancee, I guess? :P We were then told to go up the 3rd floor to fill up forms.

Word of advice: Take the stairs. It's faster than the so-called elevator. LOL

When you get to the 3rd floor, You'd be asked to fill up an Information Sheet. (Yes, you have to fill it up there, It's not the downloadable one on the CFO website.)

Make sure you answer ALL questions/fields. Rendering this incomplete will be one of their criterias for you to be "HELD/ON HOLD" for one on one counseling.

Information Needed on the Form:

- Basic Information about you, the fiance(e)/spouse (Name, Address, Birthday, etc.; Your Birthplace is important too, specify which city/town/area/province)

- Basic Information about your petitioner (Sometimes you are going to be asked for the Birth Certificate copy)

- FULL MAIDEN NAME of fiance(e)/spouse's MOTHER

- Contact person in the Philippines, specifically immediate family as in Father, Mother, Siblings. (I forgot what happened to the other one who listed her cousin. I think she was asked for her cousin's birth certificate. Which got her on "Hold" status.)

- Landline Number of Petitioner. (I know, I know, most of you guys don't use landlines now. That's what was running through my mind too.) If no landline is available, Landline of Petitioner's Nearest Relative or Petitioner's Neighbor. (IKR!? Neighbor?)

- Petitioner's Educational Attainment, Degree/Course, Occupation

- Information on Petitioner's Divorce/Annulment/Death of previous wife or husband. You must have a copy of the Divorce Decree. (One lady was asked to show the Death Certificate of the petitioner's previous wife.)

- ZIPCODES. Yes, people were given a few minutes to find out their Zipcodes. Both the petitioner and the beneficiary. Never forget to write those.

So far, these are the ones that stuck out from the tedious checking of individual forms by the counselor.

People were asked to show documents. It's not a specified list of documents. Just whatever the counselor wants to see. So better go there prepared! As for me, I was just asked for photos of me and my fiance, Christopher.

By that time, she was already saying, If you don't fill up your forms properly, I will put you on "hold". She already mentioned 3 names that were on hold. Then she said, those of us who are "OK'd" by her, can now go downstairs to the first floor to pay at the Cashier.

So we did. We paid PHP400. Roughly $10.

We then went back upstairs and the counselor was still checking forms. In the end, the room full of 16 people, 10 were put on hold. Meaning, one-on-one counseling with her.

Mind you, we're not all US fiance(e)'s/spouses in the seminar "Session" as prescribed in the CFO website info. At first I thought it would be 15 from US, 15 from Canada, and so on. NOPE. In the same session, some were fiance(e)s/spouses from other countries. So I HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting there very early in the morning to secure a spot.

So when everything was already checked, we started with the lectures. She, of course, started with the history of CFO (which is in the website). The CFO Certificate and stickers. The CFO Certificate is valid for life. It doesn't expire. So make sure you take care of it and make copies. Never hand in the original to anyone. You can show them the original, but they may not keep it. It's a HUGE hassle to get it replaced.

And then explained at length who their CLIENTELE are. Meaning, they serve those family-based petition immigrants, the fiance(e) and spouses, etc. etc. Honestly, she didn't have to explain those in detail, adding up stories. Most especially going into lengths about the Filipino Au Pair Visa. This part draaaaagggggeeeed for so long.

After that, Domestic Violence was discussed, which organizations to contact, who to call. (She gave her personal mobile number, she says she's the only one who does that.)

She then covered what documents to bring when traveling, baggage allowances, airport fees, travel tax, embarkation cards, customs forms, etc.

Showed a visa packet brought by one of the spouses, and that the IDS (for IR/CR1's) shouldn't be removed from the packet.

She then proceeded to explaining what you should do when you get to the US: getting married, filing for adjustment of status, stressed on the validity of green cards, report of marraiges, amendments to passports, etc.

By this time, we were done. And those "OK'd" people can claim their certificates downstairs on the First floor, and those who were "On hold" will have their one-on-one counseling with her.

We got our certificates and got out at 1:30pm. We will have to go back there after the Visa is issued so we can get our passport CFO sticker.

So there, good luck to everyone who are going to take the CFO Seminar. Just remember, be armed with documents. Be prepared.

And go there early! :)

Hello Erika and Chris, does it really requires a landline, or a phone number will do? Thanks :)

11-28-2012 : Filed I-129F

11-30-2012 : NOA1

04-09-2013 : NOA2

05-24-2013 : Case sent from NVC to USEM

06-10-2013 : Medical

07-30-2013 : Interview

: Put to AP for one missing doc

07-30-2013 : CEAC status Administrative Processing

08-01-2013 : Doc submitted to the USEM

08-02-2013 : Doc received

08-12-2013 : Case referred to the CO

08-13-2013 : CEAC status READY ( Appointment info )

08-14-2013 : CEAC status READY ( Case is open )

08-15-2013 : CEAC status AP

08-16-2013 : CEAC Status ISSUED ( Heck, yeah! )

08-24-2013 : Visa packet received

09-04-2013 : Hello, America!

Hello Erika and Chris, does it really requires a landline, or a phone number will do? Thanks smile.png

Honestly, I don't think they have a way of checking if it's a landline number or not. It could be anybody's number! JUST KIDDING. It still is for your own good AND safety that they ask you these numbers. They would want to know where to contact you or get in touch with you when sh*t hits the fan. smile.png

In my case, I used his grandmother's landline in NC. And we're in ND. That's a long way from here. smile.png

The important thing here is, don't appear to look 'rattled' or intimidated. Be confident and you'd be fine!

Edited by Erika & Chris

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.