Mrs.Presson

CFO Seminar in Manila (May 30, 2013)

108 posts in this topic

CFO Manila

Citigold Center, 1345 Pres. Quirino Avenue
corner Osmeña Highway (South Superhighway)
Manila, Philippines 1007

-------------

I've been reading threads here on VJ.com saying that there are only 30 slots for Fiance(e)'s and Spouses everyday at the CFO HQ. I checked the website, it said 15 in the morning and 15 in the afternoon. Though it said it's country-specific and has "allocations" of 15 slots for each countries, I didn't want to risk it.
I got there at 4:15am. We were only 5 at the time, and we sat on the steps leading to the CFO entrance. I met Steve previously in a Facebook Group and learned from him that his fiancee, Joan, would be attending too. She got there at about 4:30am and immediately called her.
It was about 5am when people started to show up and one lady (I suppose she owns the "mini-store" outside CFO), told us to line up by the ramp instead. This is where fiance(e)'s and spouses line up. There would be separate lines for other types of immigrants. (So make sure you tell your fiance(e)'s to line up at the ramp.) It wasn't country-specific at all. Some people in line were fiancee's of European nationals.
CFO opened at about quarter to 7, but they only let the other immigrants in first. We were the last line to enter the building.
Also a REMINDER: Make sure to bring 2 valid GOVERNMENT ID's. Whether it's a Driver's License, Unified ID, SSS, PhilHealth, NBI Clearance. As long as it's a goverment issued ID, you won't get turned away. One lady was turned away because she only had one "valid" ID. They should've just stated that what they want are government ID's in the first place. Make sure you have at least 2 photocopies of it, just to be sure.
When I got inside, at the reception desk, I was only asked for my: Passport, 2 Valid ID's, Checked if I have my photocopy of those valid ID's, and I was given an ID with a Lanyard with a Pink "F" on it. For Fiancee, I guess? :P We were then told to go up the 3rd floor to fill up forms.
Word of advice: Take the stairs. It's faster than the so-called elevator. LOL
When you get to the 3rd floor, You'd be asked to fill up an Information Sheet. (Yes, you have to fill it up there, It's not the downloadable one on the CFO website.)
Make sure you answer ALL questions/fields. Rendering this incomplete will be one of their criterias for you to be "HELD/ON HOLD" for one on one counseling.
Information Needed on the Form:
- Basic Information about you, the fiance(e)/spouse (Name, Address, Birthday, etc.; Your Birthplace is important too, specify which city/town/area/province)
- Basic Information about your petitioner (Sometimes you are going to be asked for the Birth Certificate copy)
- FULL MAIDEN NAME of fiance(e)/spouse's MOTHER
- Contact person in the Philippines, specifically immediate family as in Father, Mother, Siblings. (I forgot what happened to the other one who listed her cousin. I think she was asked for her cousin's birth certificate. Which got her on "Hold" status.)
- Landline Number of Petitioner. (I know, I know, most of you guys don't use landlines now. That's what was running through my mind too.) If no landline is available, Landline of Petitioner's Nearest Relative or Petitioner's Neighbor. (IKR!? Neighbor?)
- Petitioner's Educational Attainment, Degree/Course, Occupation
- Information on Petitioner's Divorce/Annulment/Death of previous wife or husband. You must have a copy of the Divorce Decree. (One lady was asked to show the Death Certificate of the petitioner's previous wife.)
- ZIPCODES. Yes, people were given a few minutes to find out their Zipcodes. Both the petitioner and the beneficiary. Never forget to write those.
So far, these are the ones that stuck out from the tedious checking of individual forms by the counselor.
People were asked to show documents. It's not a specified list of documents. Just whatever the counselor wants to see. So better go there prepared! As for me, I was just asked for photos of me and my fiance, Christopher.
By that time, she was already saying, If you don't fill up your forms properly, I will put you on "hold". She already mentioned 3 names that were on hold. Then she said, those of us who are "OK'd" by her, can now go downstairs to the first floor to pay at the Cashier.
So we did. We paid PHP400. Roughly $10.
We then went back upstairs and the counselor was still checking forms. In the end, the room full of 16 people, 10 were put on hold. Meaning, one-on-one counseling with her.
Mind you, we're not all US fiance(e)'s/spouses in the seminar "Session" as prescribed in the CFO website info. At first I thought it would be 15 from US, 15 from Canada, and so on. NOPE. In the same session, some were fiance(e)s/spouses from other countries. So I HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting there very early in the morning to secure a spot.
So when everything was already checked, we started with the lectures. She, of course, started with the history of CFO (which is in the website). The CFO Certificate and stickers. The CFO Certificate is valid for life. It doesn't expire. So make sure you take care of it and make copies. Never hand in the original to anyone. You can show them the original, but they may not keep it. It's a HUGE hassle to get it replaced.
And then explained at length who their CLIENTELE are. Meaning, they serve those family-based petition immigrants, the fiance(e) and spouses, etc. etc. Honestly, she didn't have to explain those in detail, adding up stories. Most especially going into lengths about the Filipino Au Pair Visa. This part draaaaagggggeeeed for so long.
After that, Domestic Violence was discussed, which organizations to contact, who to call. (She gave her personal mobile number, she says she's the only one who does that.)
She then covered what documents to bring when traveling, baggage allowances, airport fees, travel tax, embarkation cards, customs forms, etc.
Showed a visa packet brought by one of the spouses, and that the IDS (for IR/CR1's) shouldn't be removed from the packet.
She then proceeded to explaining what you should do when you get to the US: getting married, filing for adjustment of status, stressed on the validity of green cards, report of marraiges, amendments to passports, etc.
By this time, we were done. And those "OK'd" people can claim their certificates downstairs on the First floor, and those who were "On hold" will have their one-on-one counseling with her.
We got our certificates and got out at 1:30pm. We will have to go back there after the Visa is issued so we can get our passport CFO sticker.
So there, good luck to everyone who are going to take the CFO Seminar. Just remember, be armed with documents. Be prepared.
And go there early! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

CFO Manila

Citigold Center, 1345 Pres. Quirino Avenue

corner Osmeña Highway (South Superhighway)

Manila, Philippines 1007

-------------

I've been reading threads here on VJ.com saying that there are only 30 slots for Fiance(e)'s and Spouses everyday at the CFO HQ. I checked the website, it said 15 in the morning and 15 in the afternoon. Though it said it's country-specific and has "allocations" of 15 slots for each countries, I didn't want to risk it.

I got there at 4:15am. We were only 5 at the time, and we sat on the steps leading to the CFO entrance. I met Steve previously in a Facebook Group and learned from him that his fiancee, Joan, would be attending too. She got there at about 4:30am and immediately called her.

It was about 5am when people started to show up and one lady (I suppose she owns the "mini-store" outside CFO), told us to line up by the ramp instead. This is where fiance(e)'s and spouses line up. There would be separate lines for other types of immigrants. (So make sure you tell your fiance(e)'s to line up at the ramp.) It wasn't country-specific at all. Some people in line were fiancee's of European nationals.

CFO opened at about quarter to 7, but they only let the other immigrants in first. We were the last line to enter the building.

Also a REMINDER: Make sure to bring 2 valid GOVERNMENT ID's. Whether it's a Driver's License, Unified ID, SSS, PhilHealth, NBI Clearance. As long as it's a goverment issued ID, you won't get turned away. One lady was turned away because she only had one "valid" ID. They should've just stated that what they want are government ID's in the first place. Make sure you have at least 2 photocopies of it, just to be sure.

When I got inside, at the reception desk, I was only asked for my: Passport, 2 Valid ID's, Checked if I have my photocopy of those valid ID's, and I was given an ID with a Lanyard with a Pink "F" on it. For Fiancee, I guess? :P We were then told to go up the 3rd floor to fill up forms.

Word of advice: Take the stairs. It's faster than the so-called elevator. LOL

When you get to the 3rd floor, You'd be asked to fill up an Information Sheet. (Yes, you have to fill it up there, It's not the downloadable one on the CFO website.)

Make sure you answer ALL questions/fields. Rendering this incomplete will be one of their criterias for you to be "HELD/ON HOLD" for one on one counseling.

Information Needed on the Form:

- Basic Information about you, the fiance(e)/spouse (Name, Address, Birthday, etc.; Your Birthplace is important too, specify which city/town/area/province)

- Basic Information about your petitioner (Sometimes you are going to be asked for the Birth Certificate copy)

- FULL MAIDEN NAME of fiance(e)/spouse's MOTHER

- Contact person in the Philippines, specifically immediate family as in Father, Mother, Siblings. (I forgot what happened to the other one who listed her cousin. I think she was asked for her cousin's birth certificate. Which got her on "Hold" status.)

- Landline Number of Petitioner. (I know, I know, most of you guys don't use landlines now. That's what was running through my mind too.) If no landline is available, Landline of Petitioner's Nearest Relative or Petitioner's Neighbor. (IKR!? Neighbor?)

- Petitioner's Educational Attainment, Degree/Course, Occupation

- Information on Petitioner's Divorce/Annulment/Death of previous wife or husband. You must have a copy of the Divorce Decree. (One lady was asked to show the Death Certificate of the petitioner's previous wife.)

- ZIPCODES. Yes, people were given a few minutes to find out their Zipcodes. Both the petitioner and the beneficiary. Never forget to write those.

So far, these are the ones that stuck out from the tedious checking of individual forms by the counselor.

People were asked to show documents. It's not a specified list of documents. Just whatever the counselor wants to see. So better go there prepared! As for me, I was just asked for photos of me and my fiance, Christopher.

By that time, she was already saying, If you don't fill up your forms properly, I will put you on "hold". She already mentioned 3 names that were on hold. Then she said, those of us who are "OK'd" by her, can now go downstairs to the first floor to pay at the Cashier.

So we did. We paid PHP400. Roughly $10.

We then went back upstairs and the counselor was still checking forms. In the end, the room full of 16 people, 10 were put on hold. Meaning, one-on-one counseling with her.

Mind you, we're not all US fiance(e)'s/spouses in the seminar "Session" as prescribed in the CFO website info. At first I thought it would be 15 from US, 15 from Canada, and so on. NOPE. In the same session, some were fiance(e)s/spouses from other countries. So I HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting there very early in the morning to secure a spot.

So when everything was already checked, we started with the lectures. She, of course, started with the history of CFO (which is in the website). The CFO Certificate and stickers. The CFO Certificate is valid for life. It doesn't expire. So make sure you take care of it and make copies. Never hand in the original to anyone. You can show them the original, but they may not keep it. It's a HUGE hassle to get it replaced.

And then explained at length who their CLIENTELE are. Meaning, they serve those family-based petition immigrants, the fiance(e) and spouses, etc. etc. Honestly, she didn't have to explain those in detail, adding up stories. Most especially going into lengths about the Filipino Au Pair Visa. This part draaaaagggggeeeed for so long.

After that, Domestic Violence was discussed, which organizations to contact, who to call. (She gave her personal mobile number, she says she's the only one who does that.)

She then covered what documents to bring when traveling, baggage allowances, airport fees, travel tax, embarkation cards, customs forms, etc.

Showed a visa packet brought by one of the spouses, and that the IDS (for IR/CR1's) shouldn't be removed from the packet.

She then proceeded to explaining what you should do when you get to the US: getting married, filing for adjustment of status, stressed on the validity of green cards, report of marraiges, amendments to passports, etc.

By this time, we were done. And those "OK'd" people can claim their certificates downstairs on the First floor, and those who were "On hold" will have their one-on-one counseling with her.

We got our certificates and got out at 1:30pm. We will have to go back there after the Visa is issued so we can get our passport CFO sticker.

So there, good luck to everyone who are going to take the CFO Seminar. Just remember, be armed with documents. Be prepared.

And go there early! :)

Hi Erika & Chris,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience during the CFO Seminar, this is very informative and helpful. I started to get so worried about the CFO because I read that horror story with a lady during her one on one counseling and she got denied and need to go back to do the CFO again.

Does it mean you will only undergo one on one counseling if you will be "put on hold"? and it will only happen if you will not fill out the form correctly and will not be able to provide documents that they will be asking from you?

Thank you:)

event.png

event.png

Good job on the reviews, congrats!!

K1
05/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
08/17/12 - Approved I-129F NOA2 (85 days)
11/19/12 - Approved Visa!! (179 days)
12/01/12 - POE Honolulu, HI
12/21/12 - Wedding Day!
AOS, EAD and AP
01/05/13 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131
01/09/13 - USCIS accepted case and received text
01/11/13 - Cashed check
01/08/13 - Received NOA1
01/18/13 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
01/22/13 - Early Biometrics Walk-in (scheduled Feb 7)
01/27/13 - We're pregnant!!
02/04/13 - Received Appointment Notice
03/04/13 - Approved EAD and AP (58 days)
03/12/13 - Received EAD and AP combo card
03/12/13 - Interview and Approved GC (63 days)
03/20/13 - Received Green Card

10/3/13 - Baby #1 arrived

2/17/14 - Pregnant again! LOL

10/20/14 - Baby #2 arrived
ROC
01/09/15 - Mailed I-751

01/12/15 - NOA

01/16/15 - Received NOA Letter

01/20/15 - Mailed DMV 1yr Extension

02/05/15 - Received Biometrics Letter

02/09/15 - Early Bio (Walk-IN)

02/19/15 - Biometrics Appointment

06/15/15 - Approved
06/15/15 - Card Ordered and Mailed

08/22/15 - Card Received

N-400 on or after 12/15/15

and they'll live happily ever, ever after...
Relationship Journey: Our pursuit to happiness

Hi Erika & Chris,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience during the CFO Seminar, this is very informative and helpful. I started to get so worried about the CFO because I read that horror story with a lady during her one on one counseling and she got denied and need to go back to do the CFO again.

Does it mean you will only undergo one on one counseling if you will be "put on hold"? and it will only happen if you will not fill out the form correctly and will not be able to provide documents that they will be asking from you?

Thank you:)

Hi! It's Erika, btw. (I'm the one who usually posts topics/replies. He just reads. LOL.)

You're welcome! :)

Anyway, it really depends on how well you know your fiance based on the information you provide, the completeness of your documents, and the confidence you show. Most counselors are on the lookout for those timid/shy people who don't establish eye-contact. Those who do not respond to their questions. Most especially, those who cannot provide whatever the counselor asks for.

So you see, it's really hard to tell what documents are actually needed, because it varies. I, myself, brought EVERYTHING I could bring. All the documents, all the evidences, photos most especially. So it's best to come prepared with everything, than risk being turned away or be on-hold.

Also, you must know what you "plan" to do after you get to the US. Get married. Work. Be a housewife. (The counselor promotes self-study, work, being productive on top of being the wife)

You must also know what steps you're supposed to take after getting married: like Report of Marraige to the Philippine Embassy/Consulate. etc. You must be knowledgeable on those things. Adjustment of Status, Green Cards, etc. Research online. :)

Good job on the reviews, congrats!!

Thank you! :D I actually would like to apologize if I have misspellings or whatnot because I have been up since 3am. It's already 10:44pm here and ... well, I'm still up. LOL

Timeline

thanks for sharing your review with CFO.

i just wonder what does "nearest relative" means to CFO...

does it means like, his relative who is living close to my fiance's place??

because they ask the neighbor's number too..

So if fiance's mom is living in Indiana, his mom is living far from him (in Arizona)..but his mom is his immediate family member..

they probably needs the neighbor's number incase something would happen to us the beneficiary, atleast the neighbor is living close to us.. and they can easily get information.. hummm ok...maybe a landlord's number will suffice too?? lol.. i wonder if they would really know if the number that we will give to them is really our fiance's neighbor's number.... how will they know if the number we will give to them is true? lol. anyways..

in regard's to fiance's educational attainment, do they ask "when" our fiance graduated or finished or got the degree?

my fiance can't remember that date because it was a longgggg time ago since he graduate and didn't even bother to get his diploma..

and he is not really working using his degree...

he is trying to contact ISU and ND to get those dates since i was telling him to get it for me..for CFO actually..lol..

but on the form, is it also needed? the date of graduation or what...

What about if "divorced" do they also need the "date of marriage" aside from the "termination date of marriage"??? coz this is also a problem for me and my F... i asked him about it and ofcourse he donn't remember it.. so he called the place where they got married.. were told that the papers were burnt since it was almost 20 yrs ago already when they married... and were told to call the court blah... so it might take time for us to get it?.. question is, on the form, does it ask for the "date of marriage" with the previous wife?

thanks! :)

Timeline

Hi! It's Erika, btw. (I'm the one who usually posts topics/replies. He just reads. LOL.)

You're welcome! :)

Anyway, it really depends on how well you know your fiance based on the information you provide, the completeness of your documents, and the confidence you show. Most counselors are on the lookout for those timid/shy people who don't establish eye-contact. Those who do not respond to their questions. Most especially, those who cannot provide whatever the counselor asks for.

So you see, it's really hard to tell what documents are actually needed, because it varies. I, myself, brought EVERYTHING I could bring. All the documents, all the evidences, photos most especially. So it's best to come prepared with everything, than risk being turned away or be on-hold.

Also, you must know what you "plan" to do after you get to the US. Get married. Work. Be a housewife. (The counselor promotes self-study, work, being productive on top of being the wife)

You must also know what steps you're supposed to take after getting married: like Report of Marraige to the Philippine Embassy/Consulate. etc. You must be knowledgeable on those things. Adjustment of Status, Green Cards, etc. Research online. :)

Thank you! :D I actually would like to apologize if I have misspellings or whatnot because I have been up since 3am. It's already 10:44pm here and ... well, I'm still up. LOL

Hello again Erika, I was just wondering if they will discuss all those stuff during the seminar or not? I mean when to file ssn, aos, green card and etc. sounds like the CFO is very crucial.

Thank you very much for your quick response.

event.png

event.png

Hello again Erika, I was just wondering if they will discuss all those stuff during the seminar or not? I mean when to file ssn, aos, green card and etc. sounds like the CFO is very crucial.

Thank you very much for your quick response.

What Hank_ said above. They just mention it in passing. And JUST stressing on validity of things not HOW to get it exactly. Research online. Read up on it here on VJ. Go to the USCIS Site for forms and instructions. smile.png

Basically, what CFO does, is taking care of immigrants. They explain that while we do have intent to leave the country for good, they are still there to help. You may call them for advice/repatriation. They're not the primary source for all processes. They just mention it briefly.

thanks for sharing your review with CFO.

i just wonder what does "nearest relative" means to CFO...

does it means like, his relative who is living close to my fiance's place??

because they ask the neighbor's number too..

So if fiance's mom is living in Indiana, his mom is living far from him (in Arizona)..but his mom is his immediate family member..

they probably needs the neighbor's number incase something would happen to us the beneficiary, atleast the neighbor is living close to us.. and they can easily get information.. hummm ok...maybe a landlord's number will suffice too?? lol.. i wonder if they would really know if the number that we will give to them is really our fiance's neighbor's number.... how will they know if the number we will give to them is true? lol. anyways..

in regard's to fiance's educational attainment, do they ask "when" our fiance graduated or finished or got the degree?

my fiance can't remember that date because it was a longgggg time ago since he graduate and didn't even bother to get his diploma..

and he is not really working using his degree...

he is trying to contact ISU and ND to get those dates since i was telling him to get it for me..for CFO actually..lol..

but on the form, is it also needed? the date of graduation or what...

What about if "divorced" do they also need the "date of marriage" aside from the "termination date of marriage"??? coz this is also a problem for me and my F... i asked him about it and ofcourse he donn't remember it.. so he called the place where they got married.. were told that the papers were burnt since it was almost 20 yrs ago already when they married... and were told to call the court blah... so it might take time for us to get it?.. question is, on the form, does it ask for the "date of marriage" with the previous wife?

thanks! smile.png

For me, I put his nearest relative in the US, his grandmother landline number in North Carolina. Why they are asking this, is because they want to be able to know where to look for you first is things go awry. As for verification, I wouldn't know how. LOL. But seriously though, that bit of information IS important for it could be one of your lifelines in the future.

With the educational attainment, no, the form doesn't ask for the years/date graduates. It's just a "check box" (But actually it says mark with X) of the educational attainment (High School Level, High School Graduate, College Level, College Graduate...etc.) then a blank with "degree/course/specialization/concentration" after. If he's not done with college, it should be "College Level" then state the degree after. Same information will be asked of you, too.

Honestly, I'm not too sure with the "date of marraige" for the previous wife. (I skipped that part, I should've paid attention to the other questions. Sorry!) But don't think they would be concerned about his previous marraige that much. They just want to know if the marraige is really null/void if Divorced, and if they're really allowed to re-marry because he/she is widowed. Divorce decrees should have those dates anyway.

If they have children from previous marraiges, make sure you know their info too, like name, birthdates and ages.

... not the best source for information on SSN, AOS, etc. whistling.gif ... and for sure not crucial.laughing.gif

^THIS

Edited by Erika & Chris

Timeline

With the educational attainment, no, the form doesn't ask for the years/date graduates. It's just a "check box" (But actually it says mark with X) of the educational attainment (High School Level, High School Graduate, College Level, College Graduate...etc.) then a blank with "degree/course/specialization/concentration" after. If he's not done with college, it should be "College Level" then state the degree after. Same information will be asked of you, too.

Honestly, I'm not too sure with the "date of marraige" for the previous wife. (I skipped that part, I should've paid attention to the other questions. Sorry!) But don't think they would be concerned about his previous marraige that much. They just want to know if the marraige is really null/void if Divorced, and if they're really allowed to re-marry because he/she is widowed. Divorce decrees should have those dates anyway.

If they have children from previous marraiges, make sure you know their info too, like name, birthdates and ages.

thank you!! :)

Timeline

ah so we can take the cfo seminar even if we don't have the visa yet? and speaking of id's, would a postal id be fine? and lastly, if the applicant is 23 or 24 years old like me, will the cfo councellors aks for a paren s consent?

btw, thanks for the review. very useful :-)

Thank God i found you.. I will never let you go.. I love you so..

ah so we can take the cfo seminar even if we don't have the visa yet? and speaking of id's, would a postal id be fine? and lastly, if the applicant is 23 or 24 years old like me, will the cfo councellors aks for a paren s consent?

btw, thanks for the review. very useful :-)

Hi, I'm assuming you're Janice? :)

Yes, you can take the CFO Seminar before the interview. You just have to go back there after you get your Visa and have them put the emigrant sticker on your passport.

Yes, a postal ID is accepted.

Joan is 23 and wasn't asked of any parental consent letter/form. But it won't hurt to bring one. :) Just bring all the docs you can bring, it's a case-to-case basis. It really depends on the counselor.

You're very much welcome. Glad to help out. :)

yea, my name is janice :-) thank you so much for immediate reply :-)

God bless :-)

You're welcome! You too. :)

Timeline

Hello Ericka. Thank you for this very informative post. I have a question,i only have an NBI. Dont have any other government ID. Will it be a problem? Thanks for your reply. God bless you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.