kamas

How much does it take to get approved for the I-134?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Is there a certain amount of cash you need in your bank account for the I-134 to be approved? if someone has $15,000 US in the bank, is that enough?

The instructions for I-134 mention this:

"As the sponsor, you must show you have sufficient income

and/or financial resources to assure that the alien you are

sponsoring will not become a public charge while in the

United States."

"Failure to provide evidence of sufficient income and/or

financial resources may result in the denial of the alien's

application for a visa or his or her removal from the United

States."

How much is sufficient income or financial resources? Has anyone heard of someone being rejected based on this? Any examples or ideas?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes, people get rejected for this all the time.

Yoiu don;t need any cash/ bank account as long as you have sufficient income. How much that is depends on your househopld size (ie are there any kids or other dependants). The poverty guidelines can be found here, look at the 125% column: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=73c63591ec04d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Thank you for your reply.

Based on that chart you provided, the Poverty guidelines for Affidavit of support, what exactly is household size?

I assume the "household size" must be a minimum of 2 people, correct (husband and wife, or petitioner and beneficiary )? According to the guidelines on that link you provided, the 125% guideline for two people is $19,387.

Lets assume there is a petitioner, applying to bring his fiance. According to the Guidelines, he will have to be in the category that says a "household size of 2 people" because the two people in this case are the "petitioner and his fiance"? In this case, then the petitioner must have income of $19,387?

So, just to be clear, no matter how much a person has in the bank, it does not matter?

The thing that matters is "income"? I'm trying to understand the difference between the two, as far as how are they both determined? I mean, if you saved up to $20,000, or have income and end up with $20,000, in both cases, you end up with $20,000 in your bank account.

What do they use to determine income? Is it just the tax returns mainly? So, as long as your tax return says that you made $20,000, then that would be considered income?

One more question. In this case, if someone only has $20,000 income, then they are pretty close to 125% poverty level. Is that too close, so that a person might be rejected? I know the rule says 125%, but they still might reject a person because even though its above 125%, its still close to the poverty level. Is that the case? Do you think they look at it that way when determining to accept someone for I-134?

Thank you for your reply.

Based on that chart you provided, the Poverty guidelines for Affidavit of support, what exactly is household size?

I assume the "household size" must be a minimum of 2 people, correct (husband and wife, or petitioner and beneficiary )? According to the guidelines on that link you provided, the 125% guideline for two people is $19,387.

Lets assume there is a petitioner, applying to bring his fiance. According to the Guidelines, he will have to be in the category that says a "household size of 2 people" because the two people in this case are the "petitioner and his fiance"? In this case, then the petitioner must have income of $19,387?

So, just to be clear, no matter how much a person has in the bank, it does not matter?

The thing that matters is "income"? I'm trying to understand the difference between the two, as far as how are they both determined? I mean, if you saved up to $20,000, or have income and end up with $20,000, in both cases, you end up with $20,000 in your bank account.

What do they use to determine income? Is it just the tax returns mainly? So, as long as your tax return says that you made $20,000, then that would be considered income?

One more question. In this case, if someone only has $20,000 income, then they are pretty close to 125% poverty level. Is that too close, so that a person might be rejected? I know the rule says 125%, but they still might reject a person because even though its above 125%, its still close to the poverty level. Is that the case? Do you think they look at it that way when determining to accept someone for I-134?

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

Here are the instructions. Reading that, it is -income- that counts, not savings. Saving up $20,000 would not satisfy the requirement. You CAN use savings to supplement the income if you don't make enough, and the savings, for a spouse, have to total three times the difference.

Example: Requirement is $19,387. Your annual income is only $17,387. The difference is $2000, so you would need $6,000 savings.

Going by the same logic, I would assume if you don't have a stable income and wanted to use just savings, the income would be 0 so it would need to be 3 times the requirement. So almost $60,000. Though I have no idea if they accept just savings with no income.

If you can't meet these, your best route may be a co-sponsor.

And yes, on the instructions, it asks for a copy of your tax transcript from the IRS or a copy of your federal tax return. Read the instructions to get your head around it all.

Edited by QueenOfBlades

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes, $19,387. if there are no kids (even kids with an ex, not living with you). 20'000 would indeed be very close, and it is up to the officer at the embassy to approve you, or not- they cannot approve if you are below the guidelines, but that have discretion not to approve if you are above, too. If your income is 20'000, BUT you also have 20'000 in savings, you can show the savings and that will help.

Income is different from savings, because income must be current and ongoing- tax returns are needed, but also paystubs and/ or a letter from the employer stating the income will be current and ongoing. That is why, if using savings, you need several times as much- because you won;t accumulate it anymore.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.