Louza

DV Case Numbers and Interviews?

73 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

My SIL won the DV Lottery for 2014, so I'm basically posting this on her behalf. She asked me if the lower the case number the better it is for them (she and her 2 kids and husband) to get an interview?

I of course don't know much about the DV because I came to America through a CR1 visa...so I thought I'd just ask you guys. I read a few posts in this subforum that mentioned the thing with the case numbers but I didn't understand.

She is residing in Africa and her case number is in the 6000's.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

She should have her interview late this fall. At that point she will need to prove she meets the educational requirement ( assuming she is the direct winner ) depending on the country she may be asked to provide an I134 for her family ( this in NOT an absolute requirement for DV winners but many places insist on the I134 )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Thank you for the responses.

She should have her interview late this fall. At that point she will need to prove she meets the educational requirement ( assuming she is the direct winner ) depending on the country she may be asked to provide an I134 for her family ( this in NOT an absolute requirement for DV winners but many places insist on the I134 )

Yes she is the direct winner and I believe she has a Masters Degree (I forgot in what though) however she is a housewife and works as a private tutor from time to time; her husband is the full time worker and provides the bulk of their finances. I assume the CO will look at the both of them as a couple? Both intend on working if they get visas.

Timeline

The winner is the one that must meet the educational requirements. They don't care about the education of the spouse for qualification. If she is granted the visa they both get green cards. If she doesn't qualify it wouldn't matter what her husbands education/work is.

The winner is the one that must meet the educational requirements. They don't care about the education of the spouse for qualification. If she is granted the visa they both get green cards. If she doesn't qualify it wouldn't matter what her husbands education/work is.

Thanks NOB. I have another question: her husband was previously married and decided to separate. In the DS-230 Part 1 question 9:

Including my present mariage I have been married ________ times.

He's going to put 1 instead of 2. Could this be considered a red flag? I understand his wife is the principal applicant and the focus is on her but she was wondering if it could be an issue.

Timeline

Never lie on immigration forms. If they EVER find out they can revoke all status Also they tend to do background checks and they may uncover it sooner than later. Was he legally married / divorced ?

Filed: Other Country: Azerbaijan
Timeline

I just won too , congrats to all winners , my case number is 9xxx do u think its too much for EU ?

congrats, good number.

I just won the dv2014, my CN is 38*** is it good?

I think its very high ( i am from Algeria)

Unfortunately, I can't be exact about Algeria, but It seems your interview will be in May next year.

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5900.html

Never lie on immigration forms. If they EVER find out they can revoke all status Also they tend to do background checks and they may uncover it sooner than later. Was he legally married / divorced ?

I believe he was legally married but I think he left without legally divorcing her, why else would you hide that sort of thing? They have a son together but he isn't a part of his life is what I understood from my SIL.

This other lady and son live in Europe...I'm pretty sure this could be picked up on by Immigration and be a red flag for them.

Filed: Timeline

Unfortunately, I can't be exact about Algeria, but It seems your interview will be in May next year.

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5900.html

That might not be true, since it seems that continents got different numbers this year than the last one.

But visa bulletin is the best source to check how the cut-off numbers are changing :)

I believe he was legally married but I think he left without legally divorcing her, why else would you hide that sort of thing? They have a son together but he isn't a part of his life is what I understood from my SIL.

This other lady and son live in Europe...I'm pretty sure this could be picked up on by Immigration and be a red flag for them.

Ok so... (Aside from the incredible fact that you all seem to be ok with the fact that she's "married" to a bigamist who abandoned his son)

He's not only planning to lie about his previous marriage but also presumably about his son in Europe when the forms tell you to state all living children (even if estranged).

If he wasn't legally divorced, his marriage to your SIL is not valid.

If picked up on by immigration - possibly also he may have a conviction he is unaware if his legal wife laid any uncontested charges against him that will be picked up on the police record check (some police records also list charges even if no conviction)

You're right about it being a "red flag", the application would be denied out of hand if any of his intended omissions come to light. Of course if he details his previous marriage but can't produce a divorce certificate then they will also see his marriage to your SIL is not valid.

What a mess.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.