Rayman22

DV 2014 Lottery urgent question

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I would like to get some clarification on a couple of issues if anyone will be so kind to help with answers.

I applied from my home country Nigeria but I recently got accepted to do a PhD in the UK this fall (October) .

My case number is just over 5,000 and I assume that this might mean an early interview schedule for me should I be scheduled for an interview at all. I was wondering if submitting the application forms a little later (say september) would postpone a possible interview date a little farther back just so I get settled in the UK before I start the process or if it will affect the potential for being selected for an interview all together.

secondly, I understand that one must enter the US within 6 months of being issued a visa. Since I'll just be starting a PhD in the UK I want to know if it'll be possible to enter the US for a couple of weeks and return to the UK? Are there any rules as to how long one must stay in the US on first entry?

Many thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Any green card visa ( DV lottery ) means you intend to live in the US. How long is your program in the UK ? If they start the interviews in Oct. you may be up for one near the holidays. If you are a legal resident of the UK you should be able to interview there. If that happens your six months should be near the end of spring classes.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Thanks a lot....its a 3 year programme so I hope to earn my PhD in 2016 which means I'll be in the UK for about that long (at least during term time). I entered for the DV lottery at about the same time I applied to study. I have already accepted the fully funded PhD offer which I am really chuffed about, and was simply hoping that if I was lucky to be interviewed for the green card Visa successfully, that I shouldnt have to give up my studies entirely..... :(

Timeline

Dependning on how committed you are to the 2 paths you may be able to do this. I checked last years numbers and your number may be in the first processed. At that time you should be a legal resident in the UK. Apply for the visa from there. Hopefully you have your interview in time to have the visa in hand by the year end holidays. Travel to the US then, estabish a mailing address ( do you have relative or such here ? ) you should get a stamp on entry that is good for a year, the green card will come to your address. Finish the school year, Spend summer in the US, Make sure to work toward establishing a life in the US. When you leave for school in the fall , make sure to come back in the following summer. If not you can apply for a reentry permit ( allows over one year out , but you need to return by 2 years ) Make sure that you pay US taxes ( file even if you own nothing ) and maintain your US resincy requirements.

Timeline

Many thanks to you!! this is quite helpful and enlightening as well. I sure hope I can pull off both options in good time and successfully too. many thanks again for your help! I appreciate your take.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello everyone,

Can someone throw more light on documents being submitted to KCC (birth certificate, marriage certificate and educational credentials) if they should be photocopies, certified true copies or original copies?

I have got contrary information on copy of documents to be submitted; please help out.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

I would like to get some clarification on a couple of issues if anyone will be so kind to help with answers.

I applied from my home country Nigeria but I recently got accepted to do a PhD in the UK this fall (October) .

My case number is just over 5,000 and I assume that this might mean an early interview schedule for me should I be scheduled for an interview at all. I was wondering if submitting the application forms a little later (say september) would postpone a possible interview date a little farther back just so I get settled in the UK before I start the process or if it will affect the potential for being selected for an interview all together.

secondly, I understand that one must enter the US within 6 months of being issued a visa. Since I'll just be starting a PhD in the UK I want to know if it'll be possible to enter the US for a couple of weeks and return to the UK? Are there any rules as to how long one must stay in the US on first entry?

Many thanks.

You can complete the process and then come to the US for a couple of weeks, get your green cards and SS and then return to school. However, you must come back to the US every year, preferably every 6 months until you finish your PhD. This is not fraud because you intend to live in the USA after you finish your studies. You are not obtaining a green card without intent to live in the USA. This is just my thought. I am no immigration expert or lawyer

Timeline

You can complete the process and then come to the US for a couple of weeks, get your green cards and SS and then return to school. However, you must come back to the US every year, preferably every 6 months until you finish your PhD. This is not fraud because you intend to live in the USA after you finish your studies. You are not obtaining a green card without intent to live in the USA. This is just my thought. I am no immigration expert or lawyer

Just visiting the US every year or 6 months will get the green card taken away. The green card is for living in the US. You can get a reentry permit if you will complete your studies quickly enough. But remember to file taxes

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Just visiting the US every year or 6 months will get the green card taken away. The green card is for living in the US. You can get a reentry permit if you will complete your studies quickly enough. But remember to file taxes

NO, NO, NO, you have your facts wrong. No body take away your green card because you are no permamnet in the US. If you stay out for more than a year, then you have to apply for a re-entry permit. Even then your green card is not taken away. Where did you get your info from?

Hello everyone,

Can someone throw more light on documents being submitted to KCC (birth certificate, marriage certificate and educational credentials) if they should be photocopies, certified true copies or original copies?

I have got contrary information on copy of documents to be submitted; please help out.

Thanks.

You do not submit any documents to KCC, all docs are submitted to the embassy before interview

NO, NO, NO, you have your facts wrong. No body take away your green card because you are no permamnet in the US. If you stay out for more than a year, then you have to apply for a re-entry permit. Even then your green card is not taken away. Where did you get your info from?

You do not submit any documents to KCC, all docs are submitted to the embassy before interview

Actually, you are wrong. You can lose your green card if you are deemed to have abandoned residence. Just visiting once a year is not enough, do that a few times and they will look...and if you can't prove residence ie own/rent a place, job, pay taxes etc, your green card can be revoked. (It can also be revoked if you are guilty of a criminal offense.). Go do some Internet searching on revocation of green cards, and while you're at it I suggest you read the USCIS/DoS info too - where they specifically state you can be deemed to have abandoned residence even if you are gone for less than a year.

Filed: Timeline

The DV-2014 interviews don't start till October this year.

The numbers are posted in visa bulletin every month: http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html

This is the VB for August: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_6028.html

When you scroll down to the section: B. DIVERSITY IMMIGRANT (DV) CATEGORY FOR THE MONTH OF AUGUST you'll see which numbers are being interviewed in August. And you can also see which numbers are being predicted to be interviewed in September.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.