msamulski

DFA required documents to get passport for K2 son

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My Filipino fiancee has made an appointment for her 8 year old son to apply for a passport at your DFA main office in Manila. She made this appointment through the DFA's online appointment system. We have read the instructions carefully and I think we have prepared the required documents properly, but we do not understand the meaning of, or how to prepare what the DFA calls, "a Notarized Affidavit of Support and Consent to travel from either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / from mother (if minor is an illegitimate child)".

I don't think this has anything to do with U.S. State Departments I-134 Affidavit of support. This "notarized affidavit of support and consent to travel is something that is specific to the Philippines DFA".

Yes, we are getting a passport for my fiancee's 8 year old son because we will be pursuing a K2 Visa for him at the same time my fiancee interviews for the K1 Visa.

I tried to e mail the DFA's main office in the Philippines, but the e mail would not go through. I will attempt to call them on the phone on Monday, but I am hoping that there is a Visjourney member here who can share some knowledge about this DFA requirement.

We received our NOA2 about 7 days ago. The Visajourney-members who have offered us knowledge and advice have been hugely helpful to us. Thanks to you all.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

They don't need that because the mother is present with her child during the passport application. The only time you will need that is if the child is applying without the mother (since the child is illegitimate).

For Minors (below 18 years old)

General Requirements:

Confirmed appointment (except for 1 year old and below)

Personal appearance of the minor applicant

Personal appearance of either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / of mother (if minor is an illegitimate child)

Original Birth Certificate of minor in Security Paper issued by NSO or Certified True Copy of Birth Certificate issued by the Local Civil Registrar and duly authenticated by NSO. Transcribed Birth Certificate from the LCR is required when entries in NSO Birth Certificate are blurred or unreadable. Report of Birth duly authenticated by NSO is required if minor was born abroad.

Document of identity with photo, if minor is 8-17 years old (for first time and

renewal applicant) such as School ID or Form 137 with readable dry seal

For minor applicants who never attended school, a Notarized Affidavit of Explanation executed by either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / by mother (if minor is an illegitimate child) detailing the reasons why the child is not in school, is required

Marriage Certificate of minor's parents duly authenticated by NSO

Notarized Affidavit of Support and Consent to travel from either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / from mother (if minor is an illegitimate child)

Original and photocopy of valid passport of the person traveling with the minor

Photocopy of valid passport of either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / of mother (if minor is an illegitimate child) or identification documents (Please refer to List of Acceptable IDs)

The red ones are enough requirements for the son.

Edited by apple21

Timeline

If mom already has a passport, bring it along with another valid ID.

LIST OF ACCEPTABLE IDS (At least 1 of the following)

Government-issued picture IDs such as the following:

Digitized SSS ID

Driver's License

GSIS E-card

PRC ID

IBP ID

OWWA ID

Digitized BIR ID

Senior Citizen's ID

Other acceptable picture IDs such as the following:

Old College ID

Alumni ID

Old Employment IDs

Source: http://www.dfa.gov.ph/index.php/list-of-acceptable-ids

Edited by apple21

Timeline

If mom already has a passport, bring it along with another valid ID.

Source: http://www.dfa.gov.ph/index.php/list-of-acceptable-ids

Sorry, correction. If mom already has a passport, bring it together with a photocopy. It should be fine.

If mom doesn't have a passport, bring any of the acceptable IDs.

Edited by apple21

Timeline

That's all we submitted when we applied for our 3 kids' passports. I was with them at DFA. They are illegitimate too because my BF was petitioned by his dad as "unmarried son over 21". He had to maintain his single status in order to immigrate. We got married after he got his green card.

Filed: Timeline

My Filipino fiancee has made an appointment for her 8 year old son to apply for a passport at your DFA main office in Manila. She made this appointment through the DFA's online appointment system. We have read the instructions carefully and I think we have prepared the required documents properly, but we do not understand the meaning of, or how to prepare what the DFA calls, "a Notarized Affidavit of Support and Consent to travel from either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / from mother (if minor is an illegitimate child)".

I don't think this has anything to do with U.S. State Departments I-134 Affidavit of support. This "notarized affidavit of support and consent to travel is something that is specific to the Philippines DFA".

Yes, we are getting a passport for my fiancee's 8 year old son because we will be pursuing a K2 Visa for him at the same time my fiancee interviews for the K1 Visa.

I tried to e mail the DFA's main office in the Philippines, but the e mail would not go through. I will attempt to call them on the phone on Monday, but I am hoping that there is a Visjourney member here who can share some knowledge about this DFA requirement.

We received our NOA2 about 7 days ago. The Visajourney-members who have offered us knowledge and advice have been hugely helpful to us. Thanks to you all.

The "a Notarized Affidavit of Support and Consent to travel from either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / from mother (if minor is an illegitimate child)"

is only applicable if she will not be travelling with the kid..

I also done that letter and the father of my son sign for it but the DFA during appointment will not be asking for it, otherwise if she will not be travelling with the kid..

• 5 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

They don't need that because the mother is present with her child during the passport application. The only time you will need that is if the child is applying without the mother (since the child is illegitimate).

For Minors (below 18 years old)

General Requirements:

Confirmed appointment (except for 1 year old and below)

Personal appearance of the minor applicant

Personal appearance of either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / of mother (if minor is an illegitimate child)

Original Birth Certificate of minor in Security Paper issued by NSO or Certified True Copy of Birth Certificate issued by the Local Civil Registrar and duly authenticated by NSO. Transcribed Birth Certificate from the LCR is required when entries in NSO Birth Certificate are blurred or unreadable. Report of Birth duly authenticated by NSO is required if minor was born abroad.

Document of identity with photo, if minor is 8-17 years old (for first time and

renewal applicant) such as School ID or Form 137 with readable dry seal

For minor applicants who never attended school, a Notarized Affidavit of Explanation executed by either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / by mother (if minor is an illegitimate child) detailing the reasons why the child is not in school, is required

Marriage Certificate of minor's parents duly authenticated by NSO

Notarized Affidavit of Support and Consent to travel from either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / from mother (if minor is an illegitimate child)

Original and photocopy of valid passport of the person traveling with the minor

Photocopy of valid passport of either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / of mother (if minor is an illegitimate child) or identification documents (Please refer to List of Acceptable IDs)

Fiancee is taking her 4 yr old daughter to get passport next week. Since child is only 4 does that mean we need everything listed in red EXCEPT "document of identity with photo, if minor is 8-17...?" Or do we still need something here?

Thank you!!

- 5/513 - NOA1 received by email - 10/16/13 - NOA2 received in mail - US Embassy Manila Interviews Passed 11/13/13 - 3/4/14 Mailed AOS packet - 4/15/14 Biometrics complete

Timeline

Fiancee is taking her 4 yr old daughter to get passport next week. Since child is only 4 does that mean we need everything listed in red EXCEPT "document of identity with photo, if minor is 8-17...?" Or do we still need something here?

Thank you!!

Yes. Her baptismal certificate may be presented, in place of that photo ID.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi ma'am good day,i am not in the Philippines now and i want to get my son a Philippine passport without my appearance and my cousin will be accompany with him to get a passport what documents i need to send to them from me,and what documents my son to get a passport too,he will not travel i just want to get him a passport early so that i can get him before my 1 year of stay here in the u.s..thank you and your reply will be much appreciated,.

• 9 months later...

So did they ask for the affidavit of support?

Dear Apple.

I trust your words. Thank you.

Thanks for this info, Apple. I will apply for my son's passport in Ali Mall on Aug 7. This saved me a lot of time :)

That's all we submitted when we applied for our 3 kids' passports. I was with them at DFA. They are illegitimate too because my BF was petitioned by his dad as "unmarried son over 21". He had to maintain his single status in order to immigrate. We got married after he got his green card.

Very helpful information. Will save me a lot of time :)

The "a Notarized Affidavit of Support and Consent to travel from either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / from mother (if minor is an illegitimate child)"

is only applicable if she will not be travelling with the kid..

I also done that letter and the father of my son sign for it but the DFA during appointment will not be asking for it, otherwise if she will not be travelling with the kid..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.